Stat/Skills Refresh 01/21/2016 10:56 AM CST
We've been away from Gemstone 4 since 2008 until recently, and my wife is trying to fix up her rogue given the fixskills that just became available. She is curious if her current setup is on the right path - she's an OHE/shield ambusher, and wants to be able to pick boxes her own level (which I'm assuming is a fairly typical build.)

Stats:
Race: Aelotoi Profession: Rogue (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 86 (13) ... 86 (13)
Constitution (CON): 92 (21) ... 92 (21)
Dexterity (DEX): 94 (27) ... 94 (27)
Agility (AGI): 98 (34) ... 98 (34)
Discipline (DIS): 52 (6) ... 52 (6)
Aura (AUR): 69 (9) ... 69 (9)
Logic (LOG): 64 (12) ... 64 (12)
Intuition (INT): 61 (10) ... 61 (10)
Wisdom (WIS): 98 (24) ... 98 (24)
Influence (INF): 96 (18) ... 96 (18)

Skills:
Skill Name | Actual Actual
| Bonus Ranks Goals In-Game Time to Goal
Armor Use..........................| 155 55.716 30 36 days, 2 hours, 6 minutes
Shield Use.........................| 160 60 74 ASAP (will rise when points are available)
Combat Maneuvers...................| 156 56 63 ASAP (will rise when points are available)
Edged Weapons......................| 172 72 74 ASAP (will rise when points are available)
Ambush.............................| 172 72 74 ASAP (will rise when points are available)
Physical Fitness...................| 134 37 37
Dodging............................| 172 72 74 ASAP (will rise when points are available)
Arcane Symbols.....................| 70 15 15
Survival...........................| 50 10 10
Disarming Traps....................| 174 74 74
Picking Locks......................| 174 74 74
Stalking and Hiding................| 172 72 74 ASAP (will rise when points are available)
Perception.........................| 174 74 74
Climbing...........................| 50 10 10
First Aid..........................| 86 19 19

CMANs:
Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Shadow Mastery smastery 4
Dirtkick dirtkick 3
Surge of Strength surge 3
Dust Shroud shroud 3
Divert divert 2

Shield Specialization:
Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Small Shield Focus sfocus 3
Deflection Training dtraining 2

She is currently using a buckler and brig, and either a handaxe or dagger as the weapon of choice. Does this seem like a generally good build, or are there places she should adjust training? Right now, her biggest issues are crowd control and getting hit/injured if she's ever caught out in the open. Any advice/tips for adjusting using the fixskills would be greatly appreciated!
Re: Stat/Skills Refresh 01/21/2016 12:01 PM CST
My main is a (42) OHE/Shield Ambush rogue, can pick his own boxes (actually, I can pick bonespear/Darkstone boxes) and is a very effective hunter with the old Handaxe to the head method.

I don't see anything wrong with the training path, but this is what I think you could do if you wanted.

Shield use doesn't need to be 2x. I would go 1x and bump it when you want to (new Shield skills and the like)
If you want to keep picking your own boxes at 2x Pick/Disarm, you are going to need lore sooner or later. I would pick it up now, maybe with the points from shield use.

CMAN vanish is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I would drop Dirt kick and dust shroud in favor of vanish every single day. Vanish is ridiculously powerful, I even use it when something walks in on me while I am searching for an heirloom. It will also help with not getting caught in the open as much.

As a small shield user, if you are worried about getting hit, my recommendation is to bump up your evasion, rather than block. Because I don't like getting hit, I use CMAN evade mastery, Armor Evasion, and whatever the shield dodging Shield maneuver is. I don't exactly know how much it helps, but it seems like I dodge pretty regularly when someone gets a chance to swing at me.
Re: Stat/Skills Refresh 01/21/2016 12:47 PM CST
I agree with GALLM11 on the points they made. VANISH has saved my hide many times when the unexpected happened and if she's going to continue using a small shield, there's no reason to have shield at 2x.

The rule of thumb for shields is that if you have more Dodging ranks then Shield Use you use a small shield, if your ranks in the two skills is equal use a medium shield, and if you have more ranks in shield then dodge you can use large or tower shields.

At her level, her problems probably stem more from tactics then training. Solo hunting, she'll want to hold back from attacking when there's more then one critter that isn't disabled in the room. If she can't go straight for the eyes with her dagger on the first AMBUSH, use the handaxe to remove a leg first. Use VANISH to get back into the shadows asap if a critter wanders in while she's in the open then either use DIVERT to get the new one out or leg it too.

She'll also need to learn the better part of valor and retreat when things get too hot to handle. My general rule of thumb is that if I can't keep track of what every last critter in the room is doing or there are more then two critters standing, step a room over and wait for the uninjured ones to disperse before coming back to mop up the injured. It's always that ONE LAST ambush that you KNOW will take out the almost dead critter after something else has wandered in that gets you killed.

Lastly, she should pay attention to when a critter takes it's actions and strike immediately after the critter does something. This will give her enough time to get back into the shadows even without VANISH before the critter has a chance to respond to the attack if she misses (it will be easier with the daggers, some critters are fast enough that it won't be possible with the handaxe, though).

Group hunting, she should do fine so long as any spell casters she's hunting with holds back and focuses on disabling critters (and keeping them disabled) while she pops in and out of the shadows poking her dagger into their eyes.

As for picking her own boxes, she's def going to want to start working towards getting spells 403/404 soon or she'll start seeing more and more boxes in the near future that she can't handle without going to 3x in picking skills. As the other poster said, dropping shield use down to 1x will most likely free up the TPs needed to get them in a reasonable time-frame. She'll also want to start working on Lock Mastery through the rogue guild for the advantages that gives.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Stat/Skills Refresh 01/22/2016 01:38 AM CST
Some guild skills are more useful than others. Kneebash and sweep are the ones I use most often in combat. Subdue is pretty situational and a lot of critters are immune to it. Note that we now have quickstrike as a general combat skill, which can reduce the RT from things like ambushing. All this stuff takes stamina! I think one shot of vanish uses 3O stamina if I recall, or close to it. Also vanish isn't as reliable as regular hiding, and will often fail if used in front of very perceptive critters, especially undead. Plan your tactics accordingly.

You can get by picking your own boxes without lore for a while, but you will start getting harder boxes around level 5O. You should get some MIU skill so as to be able to activate low level imbedded spells ... like lores! Note however that lores from imbeds or cast by another person are much less effective than self cast. Also get some AS skill as well, to help with disarming scarabs.

You may want to experiment with unarmed combat also, instead of OHE. Try ambushing with OHE for now, then maybe in late April or early May change over to UAC using your current fixskill. That way, if you don't like it, you can use the May fixskill to change back. Personally I like the UAC system; brawling training gives me the option of using that, but I can also ambush the traditional way using brawling weapons such as a sai or fist scythe.

You only need to get in a decent hit when group hunting, to share in the experience. Going for the eyes takes a lot of skill for reliable accuracy; I'd recommend chopping off a leg with your handaxe instead. Easier to hit, and if you do take the leg off, the critter's AS and DS drop a lot.

Re: Stat/Skills Refresh 01/22/2016 05:18 AM CST
Smith skills: 50 ranks perception is plenty for picking your own boxes, though if you want the full 2x for other reasons by all means keep it. Same with AS, you could lose 5 of those ranks with minimal change to your smith abilities, but if you want them for general purpose scroll use, keep them. Don't worry about making fast progress in LM if you aren't primarily a picker, just keep a steady progress. Unlike combat skills LM is genuinely useful with low ranks and gets gradually more useful as you progress.

>Right now, her biggest issues are crowd control and getting hit/injured if she's ever caught out in the open.

Vanish, Vanish, Vanish. Put the CMan points together for it as fast as you can. There is very little else that compares with the usefulness of full ranks in Vanish for sneaky rogues.

Don't forget the tactics though. Vanish and shadow mastery use up a lot of stamina, and you won't make a successful hunt unless Vanish is there for occasional rather than every critter use.

I think I would want more than 2x hiding though I'm not sure just where the balance lies between high CM and high hiding.

> she should pay attention to when a critter takes it's actions and strike immediately after the critter does something.

One of the best ways of controlling critters in GS is this. Force a critter to use its action unprofitably, and then strike when it has wait until it can act again.

A storm giant smiles at a passing cloud.
H>amb gia left leg

I still feel sorry for the poor giants from time to time.

>Note that we now have quickstrike as a general combat skill, which can reduce the RT from things like ambushing.

Don't do this unless under the influence of 506. It may be worth rounding up the free stamina you get with 506 for an extra second, but its virtually never going to be a good idea to pay the full cost directly. Quickstrike is really part of the new 506 (now celerity, was haste) mechanics and you can't get anywhere near close to generating the stamina for effective use of it by physical means rather than 506. Vanishing afterwards is always going to beat quickstrike ambush as a way for a stealth rogue to spend stamina on time reduction (providing that you are stealthy enough to vanish).

I think I would want more than 2x hiding though I'm not sure just where the balance lies between high CM and high hiding.
Re: Stat/Skills Refresh 01/22/2016 05:53 AM CST
<I think I would want more than 2x hiding though I'm not sure just where the balance lies between high CM and high hiding.>

It really depends on what's being hunted and where. If the character is going to spend a lot of time around undead and/or animal type critters (hounds, panthers, eagles, etc) they'll want closer to 3x in S&H. Otherwise, 2x should be just fine in most cases (esp when Shadow Mastery is active). If she's having a hard time getting into the shadows in front of critters or is getting searched out by critters too much for comfort just add ranks until she's happy.

Once she gets timing and critter control down, she shouldn't have to be in the open in front of anything long enough for it to get a swing in most of the time. So as long as she's able to get needed/wanted cmans, anything more is just insurance against the occasional distraction or fluke. 2x CM and 3x S&H isn't bad unless there's other needed skills that are being neglected to achieve it.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Stat/Skills Refresh 01/22/2016 06:14 AM CST
>If she's having a hard time getting into the shadows in front of critters or is getting searched out by critters too much for comfort just add ranks until she's happy.

In my case that took an awful lot of ranks once I got to that point. I got away with 1x at her level, (and until about level 70) but mechanics were different then. I'm not actually planning to add to my 1x in CMan ranks post cap till I've got full 3x in hiding. Vanishing in front of something when you really need to vanish puts a rather greater strain on hiding skill than other uses of it.
Re: Stat/Skills Refresh 01/22/2016 09:32 AM CST
>> its virtually never going to be a good idea to pay the full cost directly. Quickstrike is really part of the new 506 (now celerity, was haste) mechanics and you can't get anywhere near close to generating the stamina for effective use of it by physical means rather than 506. Vanishing afterwards is always going to beat quickstrike ambush as a way for a stealth rogue to spend stamina on time reduction (providing that you are stealthy enough to vanish).<<

It's sort of situational, depending on what you are fighting. For me, both vanish and quickstrike -2 take about the same stamina (18 and 19). I'm 2.5x in hiding, and vanish still fails on occasion. Shaving 2 seconds off my ambush time and letting me hide earlier might be preferable, depending on what I am hunting. For me, vanish tends to be more of a "oh crud, I gotta hide right NOW!" sort of thing.

I occasionally make use of Cman divert to thin out the crowd. I also have dirtkick and shroud, but I don't use them terribly often and am wondering if it's worth while keeping then or getting something else. I have a fair number of CMans and guild skills I could use, but I have to keep careful track of my stamina. Grab extra PF whenever you have a few spare PTPs and you are undecided what to do with them.
Re: Stat/Skills Refresh 01/22/2016 02:07 PM CST
Ehh, screw all that gotta boost hiding and Vanish stuff. Just get a decent metal breastplate. You need 70 ranks of armor use, but 80 to get rid of all the penalties. You'll get hit twice as much without being able to hide in a tight spot, but you'll survive all those hits.

Seriously though, you have multiple options on how to survive and thrive. What Kind of build do You want?
Re: Stat/Skills Refresh 01/22/2016 02:50 PM CST
<Seriously though, you have multiple options on how to survive and thrive. What Kind of build do You want?>

Yes, this.

Though I must add, getting into a high ASG armor like that in for someone in their 30's will require more sacrifice then someone that's hunting minotaurs or capped hunting grounds. It's certainly possible and has it's benefits, but at such a low level I'd hesitate to suggest it to someone unless they has an RP reason for it and knew they already had a good grasp of tactics.

Starchitin

Re: Stat/Skills Refresh 01/22/2016 11:02 PM CST
MBP armor at 35 or so trains is a warrior thing. For rogues it is totally unnecessary and will screw up your hiding and such, not to mention gobbling up PTPs you will want to use for smithing skills and various ancillary stuff. Nor will it keep you from getting killed if you decide to duke it out in the open like a warrior.
Re: Stat/Skills Refresh 01/22/2016 11:12 PM CST
>>Just get a decent metal breastplate. You need 70 ranks of armor use, but 80 to get rid of all the penalties. You'll get hit twice as much without being able to hide in a tight spot, but you'll survive all those hits. <<

First of all, hauberk is better than MBP for one reason: there are a lot of enhancives out there contained in upper body armor ... aventails, helms, and what have you ... that you can't use with MBP, since it will turn it into full plate as far as armor training needed. The armor rules in GS are weird that way.

Secondly, I have 6x HCP hauberk, which is better than anything you will be able to afford at your level unless you have rich relatives, and I still get banged up if I get caught in the open. Sometimes I switch back to my 6x HCP brigandine, just to be able to evade better, depending on what I am hunting. I have enough armor skill to grab 3 ranks of armor evasion, but that skill works better on lighter armors.
Re: Stat/Skills Refresh 01/23/2016 12:12 AM CST
Could you post some logs in the hauberk vs the brig? I'd be curious to see what kind of differences you are experiencing.

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: Stat/Skills Refresh 01/23/2016 08:49 AM CST
>First of all, hauberk is better than MBP for one reason: there are a lot of enhancives out there contained in upper body armor

There are more reasons for choosing hauberk than you might expect ...

Our reason for choosing hauberk over MBP is surprise (more stealth bonus, less stealth penalty), surprise and the availability of enhancives ...

Our two reasons for choosing hauberk are surprise, the availability of enhancives, and reduced hindrance for casting spells ...

Our three reasons for choosing hauberk are surprise, the availability of enhancives, spell hindrance and lower manoever penalties ...

Amongst our many reasons for wearing this hauberk is its nice red color.
Re: Stat/Skills Refresh 01/23/2016 04:28 PM CST
<Our reason for choosing hauberk over MBP is surprise (more stealth bonus, less stealth penalty)>

I have to disagree with you there. Armor only affects your ability to hide when using Vanish and how effective Armored Stealth can be. Your blanket statement makes it sounds much more powerful.

I think I was in my mid 40's when I switched from brig to mbp. I didn't experience a single downside. I wasn't casting in the field and saw no difference in my ability to surprise critters. Maneuvers were technically worse, but not so that I noticed. I did find that I went from having trouble against bandits to being able to solo them. It was a clear benefit. Sure, a couple extra enhancives would be nice, but I didn't have the silvers at that point to get good stuff anyway.

As I said before, it all depends how You want to be a rogue.
Re: Stat/Skills Refresh 01/23/2016 06:08 PM CST
>>Could you post some logs in the hauberk vs the brig?<<

It's nothing that would show up in the logs. I am going mainly by what has been stated about how armor and stealth work. The theory is that lighter armor is easier to be stealthy in, You hide and dodge better, but take more damage when hit. I stated off using the hauberk when facing casters, since the CvA is better but now I am using it more against melee opponents as well. I don't use the brig that much anymore; mainly for hunting critters that don't swarm much. I have yet to decide if quickstrike will affect the armor I wear.