Stat/Skill Help 11/28/2015 04:28 PM CST
I've returned to GSIV after several years and started up a new rogue to get the hang of things. My grace period is ending tonight so I need to solidify my stats and my skills. I was originally going to do two weapon combat, but I'm not sure it's viable for me at this point in time since I'm playing in platinum and I can't always rely on having spells. Would someone mind taking a look at my general training/stats right now and let me know if there are any glaring errors I need to address before things are set in stone?

For now I think I'm sticking with 1-handed edged weapons and a shield, and I'd like to be able to pick my own boxes as I level up. I'm also not sure how frequently I should be picking up spells, so I've just got the one for now. I'm level 16, nearly level 17. Have 12PTPs and 127MTPS unspent, not sure where I should be putting extra points, if anyone has any advice on that. Appreciate any help.

Strength (STR): 75 (12) ... 75 (12)
Constitution (CON): 75 (12) ... 75 (12)
Dexterity (DEX): 49 (10) ... 49 (10)
Agility (AGI): 47 (4) ... 47 (4)
Discipline (DIS): 85 (12) ... 85 (12)
Aura (AUR): 81 (20) ... 81 (20)
Logic (LOG): 75 (12) ... 75 (12)
Intuition (INT): 70 (10) ... 70 (10)
Wisdom (WIS): 90 (20) ... 90 (20)
Influence (INF): 81 (15) ... 81 (15)

Skills:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Shield Use.........................| 74 16
Combat Maneuvers...................| 74 16
Edged Weapons......................| 132 36
Ambush.............................| 132 36
Physical Fitness...................| 90 20
Dodging............................| 132 36
Arcane Symbols.....................| 50 10
Magic Item Use.....................| 25 5
Harness Power......................| 5 1
Elemental Mana Control.............| 15 3
Survival...........................| 25 5
Disarming Traps....................| 128 34
Picking Locks......................| 128 34
Stalking and Hiding................| 140 40
Perception.........................| 124 32
Climbing...........................| 74 16
Swimming...........................| 25 5
First Aid..........................| 50 10

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 1
Re: Stat/Skill Help 11/28/2015 07:29 PM CST
For the stats, I wouldn't have DEX and AGL as the lowest two. Both are important to rogues for defense and DEX is a big player for both locksmithing and TWC (which is prolly why you're having trouble with it). Without knowing your race, I'm hesitant to make any suggestions on what to drop to boost them, but INF is always a good choice as is AUR unless you plan on joining COL.

As for skills:

-I tend to prefer 1xing in Armor until I'm in brig... but if you're happy in doubles I won't argue.
-As an archer, I can get away with 1x in CM, but you'd be much better off 1.5x or 2x (don't forget to train in CMAN skills)
-If you can get PF up to 2x, do so
-I'm assuming you're trying to get 403 and 404, but I wouldn't do so at the expense of the three points above.
-Take S&H up to a full 3x until you can stay hidden against most everything, at that point you can pull back on it if you like
-Survival and First Aid are nice to have, but you don't have enough in either of them to really be helpful. I'd dump them to avoid getting skinning tasks and use the TPs elsewhere

If you hunt smart and develop some good tactics, spells shouldn't be necessary (though I won't argue they're nice to have). I know several rogues that even get upset when pures or semis start spelling them up without asking.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Stat/Skill Help 11/28/2015 08:02 PM CST
Good tips, thank you. Helps a lot. I'm still fussing with my stats and skills before I things get set -- I may try to do TWC after all. I had my stats set to max at 100, but I think I'm going to shift things around to make hunting easier because I can always just change them later when I need to. What kind of base stats would you recommend for a sylvankind rogue for TWC, keeping in mind that I want to open my own boxes and that I need to survive w/o spells most of the time?

I am aiming for 403/404, but I can drop it if it's best to focus on other things. I'll definitely dump first aid and survival. I actually didn't know those caused me to get skinning tasks, happy not to have them if that's the case, haha.
Re: Stat/Skill Help 11/28/2015 09:21 PM CST
Here's my redone skills.

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Two Weapon Combat..................| 136 38
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Combat Maneuvers...................| 99 23
Edged Weapons......................| 136 38
Ambush.............................| 132 36
Physical Fitness...................| 102 24
Dodging............................| 136 38
Arcane Symbols.....................| 10 2
Magic Item Use.....................| 5 1
Elemental Mana Control.............| 15 3
Disarming Traps....................| 128 34
Picking Locks......................| 128 34
Stalking and Hiding................| 144 44
Perception.........................| 128 34
Climbing...........................| 74 16
Swimming...........................| 25 5
Re: Stat/Skill Help 11/28/2015 10:26 PM CST
<What kind of base stats would you recommend for a sylvankind rogue for TWC>

Assuming you're not joining COL, you can safely shave 15-20 off AUR. There's also no reason WIS needs to be as high at 90 knock down to 70 and INF down to 65ish. Distribute the points between Dex and AGI, giving a bit more to DEX... if you can shave off enough points to make AGI 75-80 and DEX at least 70, you should be good. I'm not sure what the limits are for starting stats, but if it says you have too many stats above X, drop WIS below that first, then INF if you need too.

Your new skills look good to me, but as you play and get more used to what you can and can't do, you'll find ways to refine them to better suit yourself.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Stat/Skill Help 11/29/2015 05:18 PM CST

I'm not so sure removing 403/404 is a good idea. I routinely had struggles picking my own boxes w/o lores, 2x locks and traps.

You can get away with scrolls/items for slight boosts but having your own lore will virtually guarantee you can open your own stuff.
Re: Stat/Skill Help 11/30/2015 08:54 AM CST
When you need lore depends where and what you hunt. Landing boxes are pretty easy mid level and you could leave it quite late. As you get into the latter part of the game, you'll want it, and as you approach cap it starts to get dodgy at 2x even with lore. I doubt you'd miss it much this side of level 70 around the Landing, but around minos box difficulty ramps up strongly. If you were hunting undead around Icemule you'd feel the lack a lot earlier.

I like fast herb eating in the field. If you don't get that from society ability, I'd train some first aid for that purpose, but keeping it below 0.5x. (e.g. at level 16 you can have 7 ranks between FA and survival without triggering skin bounties. Not a huge amount, I think I stopped at 10 ranks but I reckon the faster ambrominas chew is worth it)

I'd stick with one out of AS and leave MIU until I had a few more ranks of AS. (5-10)

I wouldn't touch EMC until I was ready to take it to at least 10 ranks and that wouldn't be any time soon. Put the points in MIU/AS/spells+harness instead.
Re: Stat/Skill Help 11/30/2015 03:51 PM CST
Minotaur boxes seem to have a whacky range of difficulties. The lower end of these are pretty easy, but I have seen them go up to a bit over -400 traps and -1000 locks. The Bowels boxes I have encountered so far actually seem to have an easier range of locks/traps, although my experience with those has been a lot more limited.
Re: Stat/Skill Help 12/01/2015 08:20 AM CST
Magus traps can hit the -480 cap (though I've only scales off them that goes that high, the rest do stop around -400). Yetis overlap with lesser minos and have dead easy boxes, which is the major source of wackiness in lock range for that area, though there's also an increasing difficulty from lesser to warrior to magus. Bowels goes higher than minos, though it may only be the Jarls. I haven't hunted Bowels enough to pick out which critters have which level of boxes, but the locks go about 120 higher than minos and the general trap range goes into the 400s. Bowels boxes will force a capped tripler to use lore to pick on occasion, while mino boxes are in the right range for top notch experience for a capped tripler. (and if you like to stay in one piece you'll definitely be using lore on their traps)