Dirtkick 10/07/2015 02:46 AM CDT

Was looking up possible cmans for my rogue today and came across dirtkick on the wiki. This specific quote gave me a chortle because I've never seen anyone recommend this skill.

"This maneuver is universally available to all professions and considered vital in many training paths. "

But looking at the skill, it doesn't seem awful. Could be useful theoretically in 1v1's in non-swarmy areas.

The part that stood out to me was the EPB penalty. I'm assuming that when it says -15% it means 15% of their EPB value. So if they had a 20% block to chance they would instead have a 17% chance to block. That's rather crappy. But if it means 20%->5%, then I could maybe find use for it.

Does anyone have experience with this skill either positive or negative?
Re: Dirtkick 10/07/2015 04:07 PM CDT

Sometimes it stuns and adds roundtime. Usable in defensive. I only have one rank and can still be successful against like level stuff. Not the first move I use, but it's nice to have when nothing else works.
Re: Dirtkick 10/07/2015 10:13 PM CDT
I enjoy using it when my sniping roguelet needs to hide and the critters keep being too perceptive. The stun and RT chance is a fun bonus too.

/seo, wheels and skulls department/
Re: Dirtkick 10/07/2015 11:28 PM CDT

Do you know if the EPB malus is any good? What I'm really looking for is a good way to improve EPB because I've noticed quite a few of my deaths are resulting from me left dangling in the breeze after a dodged attack.

TRUEHAND had potential but it seems incompatible with ambushing.

So I was wondering if dirtkick was a good way to go.

My current plan, whenever the post-ELR FIXSKILL comes through is to switch to 3x hiding and rely more heavily on vanish (which at 2x hiding, is quite unreliable).
Re: Dirtkick 10/08/2015 03:22 PM CDT

There is also the lower attack from the dirtkick as well. If you go the full 5 ranks, I think its -50 to the AS. So even if you miss the followin ambush, the counterattack shouldn't be terrible.
Re: Dirtkick 10/08/2015 08:55 PM CDT
<I've noticed quite a few of my deaths are resulting from me left dangling in the breeze after a dodged attack.>

I'd recommend getting a couple ranks in VANISH. Getting back into the shadows while in RT is a huge advantage when you fail to kill or disable with an attack.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Dirtkick 10/08/2015 11:48 PM CDT
Vanish is certainly useful. I have full training in shadow mastery and vanish, and it certainly can save your bacon. Two drawbacks: it's stamina intensive, and also isn't guaranteed even with 3 ranks. There is a chance it can fail, especially if you are wearing one of the heavier armors (I am in hauberk).

Possibly a combination of dirtkick and vanish might be more effective than either alone?
Re: Dirtkick 10/09/2015 02:57 AM CDT

Yeah I used to be 2x S&H and vanish was a 50/50 proposition. I'm hoping with 3x hiding that'll be a different story.

Right now I'm wearing brig so there would still be some penalty to vanishing vs normal hiding but I'm hoping the extra S&H ranks make up for it.
Re: Dirtkick 10/09/2015 05:38 PM CDT
It probably will help; I'm 2.5x in S&H, and even in hauberk I'm getting about 75% success rate. I haven't gotten any dirtkick at all, but I have enough CMan points saved up that I could pick up 3 ranks. How much would getting that maneuver help vanish success? (The description gives some effects on critter perception but I have no idea what the practical effects are).

Dirtkick only affects one target at a time, I assume?
Re: Dirtkick 10/10/2015 12:13 AM CDT

Yes it is single-target.

My guess is that perception is what they're using to compare against your hide roll. In which case -x perception would be equivalent to +x hide bonus. But that's just my guess.
Re: Dirtkick 10/10/2015 01:52 AM CDT
<Yeah I used to be 2x S&H and vanish was a 50/50 proposition. I'm hoping with 3x hiding that'll be a different story.>

My gnome is also in brig and has always been 3x in hiding (well, slightly lower for the last few levels moment but almost back to full 3x. Let it slack a bit while I picked up 404). I can't recall ever having VANISH fail for me for any reason other then having too much RT (and there have been plenty of times when undead or animal type critters are in the room). I've heard that capped critters can be way more perceptive then anything he'd have faced at his level though, if that matters (he's level 74)

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Dirtkick 10/10/2015 07:13 PM CDT
I suspect my hauberk armor penalty is a factor also.