Training Crossroads 12/19/2014 08:59 PM CST
So my rogue just hit 40 and I have about 100/100tps saved and a couple ways I could go from here. Thought I might come to you all for feedback (and then probably just do my own thing anyway, heheh).

Current status:

(at level 40), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Two Weapon Combat..................| 184 84
Armor Use..........................| 120 30
Combat Maneuvers...................| 172 72
Edged Weapons......................| 184 84
Ambush.............................| 184 84
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 25 5
Physical Fitness...................| 142 42
Dodging............................| 184 84
Arcane Symbols.....................| 40 8
Harness Power......................| 25 5
Disarming Traps....................| 184 84
Picking Locks......................| 184 84
Stalking and Hiding................| 184 84
Perception.........................| 142 42
Climbing...........................| 102 24

Combat Maneuver training is as follows:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Shadow Mastery smastery 5
Surge of Strength surge 2
Divert divert 5
Vanish vanish 2

Available Combat Maneuver Training Points: 4

Now some options I've been considering:

A) Put it all into CM. Almost brings me to 2x and then I can get combat mobility (or vanish rank3).

B) Put it all into MIU. Then I can use the cloak of shadows heart I got at necro as well as various other imbeds.

C) Drop CM a bit, untrain vanish (I don't use it that often tbh, divert is my bread and butter) and stack armor up to 70 ranks so I can switch to some nice MBP I've been holding. +20 TD from CvA +some better crit protection.

D) Drop CM, put it into spells and get 403/404 which would be really nice for picking.

E) Shore up S&H because Shan are annoying dogs who spot me frequently.

I'm currently leaning towards A or B. I have a fixskills available so drastic changes are possible. Also open to other Cmans I haven't considered.
Re: Training Crossroads 12/20/2014 03:00 AM CST
There are things that are just hard to hide on. Non-corporeal undead and animal types are the worst. At level 60 and 2.5x S&H, I still have trouble with those damned stone mastiffs in the Stronghold. (The shamans and mystics, on the other hand, are deaf and blind). Here's a helpful hint: unpresence imbeds! Get a cleric to bless the spell into a gem for you. This spell does not help you hide any better, mind you; however, once hidden, it is harder for them to sniff you out. I get the spell in effect, go into the next room to hide, then sneak back in and ambush away. Repeat as needed. Not a total guarantee of success, but it helps. Another helpful hint: tiny pearls (color is irrelevant, it's the size that matters) are always orb gems and can be spell blessed by an appropriately trained cleric.

Eventually, if you are serious about locksmithing, you will want spells 403 and 404. Imbeds and helpful elemental spell casters can be useful, but self cast lores are more effective than invoked or outside spells. My maximum lock and trap shot way up after I learned them. Of course, I then had to get a couple of ranks of harness power to go along with the spells.

Rank 3 of vanish. Get it; a no brainer. You can disappear no matter how ridiculous your RT is. Note: it is a bit stamina intensive to use it; you WILL need more than 1x training in fitness if you plan on using that plus shadow mastery plus guild skills like sweep. Get more of this skill also. More PF training also helps you survive hostile maneuvers better.

I only have 3 ranks of divert, but it seems to work pretty well. A matter of preference I guess; I deemed vanish more important to train in.

Are you sure that 70 ranks will be adequate to train off the maneuver hindrance from MBP? I could have sworn 80 was needed for hauberk, which is where I am planning to stop. (Maneuver hindrance is not the same thing as weapon RT).

The Bells of Hell
go ding-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Training Crossroads 12/30/2014 08:28 AM CST
These are all good and viable options, just depends on what is slowing you down now. Hurting with picking, get the lores. Hurting with spells, get the MIU. I would recommend against the S&H, Shan are crazy perceptive outliers that you won't train away. I would also recommend against the MBP until you round out the other goals.