Rangers and runestaffs 09/17/2014 07:12 PM CDT
Has anyone found any success in going super heavy on magic and carrying a runestaff? Can you get the DS you would with a bow or shield? and have any of you have enough MIU to get the benefits of the Runestaff?
Re: Rangers and runestaffs 09/17/2014 09:21 PM CDT
>Has anyone found any success in going super heavy on magic and carrying a runestaff? Can you get the DS you would with a bow or shield? and have any of you have enough MIU to get the benefits of the Runestaff?

If you just count the magical skills that don't cost exorbitant amounts of TPs, rangers can only train up to 8 magic ranks per level. I'm currently at 7.7 ranks per level (at 30m exp, mind you), and my runestaff DS is about 100 lower than my bow DS in defense, and about 50-60 lower than my bow DS in offense.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: Rangers and runestaffs 09/18/2014 05:01 AM CDT
>If you just count the magical skills that don't cost exorbitant amounts of TPs, rangers can only train up to 8 magic ranks per level. I'm currently at 7.7 ranks per level (at 30m exp, mind you), and my runestaff DS is about 100 lower than my bow DS in defense, and about 50-60 lower than my bow DS in offense.

Runestaff is a 1x trained defense (with a few bonuses to it but basically 1x) and swapping out a 2x defense for a 1x defense should cost you that sort of amount of DS.
Re: Rangers and runestaffs 09/19/2014 12:27 AM CDT

Agreed, I was just wondering if anyone had enough magic points to get the dodging and i think parry or other benefits of the runestaff.
Re: Rangers and runestaffs 09/19/2014 05:53 AM CDT

>Agreed, I was just wondering if anyone had enough magic points to get the dodging and i think parry or other benefits of the runestaff.

Runestaff defense is a modified parry defense.

You can't learn enough ranks (I'm not sure that a pure at true cap has enough, a ranger certainly doesn't) to get as much DS as a weapon build.

Every ranger that holds a runestaff will get runestaff defense. It just won't be much good. Very occasionally you'll parry a bolt, but normally they'll hit you harder and more often and everything else will hit you harder and more often too.
Re: Rangers and runestaffs 09/20/2014 05:31 PM CDT

Hmm, ok, then going into a bit more detail, what I had in mind is I have a pure brawling ranger, very heavy on the magic. My thinking was the brawling empty handed for combat, or using a good brawling weapon, then revert to holding the runestaff when I needed to be full defensive, and cast.

The brawling works pretty well so far, I just had hoped if im in Def and whip out the runestaff it might boost my ds a bit and let me cast from Full Def.

Ive tried it with a shield and it is effective, but the 2lb runestaff would be much lighter.
Re: Rangers and runestaffs 09/20/2014 08:39 PM CDT
My DS was actually higher in defensive with open hands than with a runestaff. In offensive they were about the same. That's with 2x brawl, 2x dodge, and 1 rank of TWC. It looks like you'll be better off with TWC or shields for a pure brawler. TWC probably won't provide as much DS, but at least you won't have that -15 MM penalty.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""