Suggestions? 08/15/2013 08:17 PM CDT
Gave up playing my monk months ago, when I discovered my brawling rogue was much better at UCS than she was. Seeing some folks are actually happy with their monks, I figure I will try to get her to level 10 at least so she can use her 4x hand and foot wraps. Here is what she has so far:

Your spell lists:
Minor Mental......5
You can view your progress towards your skill goals in the character sheet.
You can view your spells in the spells panel.

>
Guinlin (at level 9), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Two Weapon Combat..................| 50 10
Combat Maneuvers...................| 74 16
Brawling...........................| 96 22
Physical Fitness...................| 126 33
Dodging............................| 126 33
Harness Power......................| 25 5
Perception.........................| 15 3
Climbing...........................| 50 10
Swimming...........................| 50 10

Spell Lists
Minor Mental.......................| 5
Training Points: 7 Phy 14 Mnt
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

She hasn't decided on any combat maneuvers yet.

Any suggestions?

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Suggestions? 08/15/2013 10:47 PM CDT
My monk at 18 has 1 rank of punch, grapple, and kick mastery, 2 ranks of combat mobility. He also has spare points which I haven't decided what to do with quite yet.
Re: Suggestions? 08/16/2013 08:44 AM CDT
Even if you don't want to .5x in Transformation Lore like I do (and other then that, you're training isn't that much different then my Monk's), you should think about putting extra points into it to get 5 ranks in it to boost 1202. If you don't want to do that, even getting an occasional extra spell is a better option then sinking the extra TPs into singling in climbing/swimming where you're not likely to see any benefit for at least 30+ levels.

In all honesty, unless you can adapt to a slower hunting pace you won't ever be happy with your monk, they just weren't designed to be power hunters. However, if you can adjust to taking your time and enjoying the experience of hunting for reasons other then filling your mind quickly, they really are a very enjoyable profession to play.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Suggestions? 08/16/2013 10:22 AM CDT
A stance and a mastery for CMs. One rank now and leave the other points unspent until you get to level 11 and can get a second rank. Pick whichever best support your hunting style. I reckon normally its punch and krynch but you need the second rank of krynch, you won't see much benefit with just one.

I did bounties in Icemule as the quickest way from level 9 to level 10 (from 6-14 too). TV should work fine too, but I'd avoid the Landing unless the objective was stepping Voln rather than getting from level 9 to level 10 fast.
Re: Suggestions? 08/16/2013 12:01 PM CDT
>> If you don't want to do that, even getting an occasional extra spell is a better option then sinking the extra TPs into singling in climbing/swimming where you're not likely to see any benefit for at least 30+ levels.<<

Oh dear; that's the result of one of my personal fetishes. I hate converting TPs, so I sank the left over PTPs there. Out of 15 characters, only 2 have any TPs converted, and they are pure casters. Of course, some of my "pures" are mutants, but the squares and semis are not. I could see from the start the monk would be short on MTPs, so I beefed up the mental stats as much as possible, but she is still short. I guess I shall have to bite the bullet, so to speak, and start converting in order to get those other skills.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Suggestions? 08/16/2013 01:08 PM CDT
Since the physical skills eat significant amounts of MTP, and prime stats are physical, you end up mutant if you insist on not converting and if you have sacrificed STR and AGI to boost mental stats, you are just killing your hunting ability for no training point gain and should probably reroll.
Re: Suggestions? 08/16/2013 02:52 PM CDT
>>Name: Guinlin Race: Giantman Profession: Monk (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 63 (21) ... 63 (21)
Constitution (CON): 64 (17) ... 64 (17)
Dexterity (DEX): 63 (1) ... 63 (1)
Agility (AGI): 61 (0) ... 61 (0)
Discipline (DIS): 64 (7) ... 64 (7)
Aura (AUR): 62 (1) ... 62 (1)
Logic (LOG): 80 (10) ... 80 (10)
Intuition (INT): 79 (14) ... 79 (14)
Wisdom (WIS): 78 (14) ... 78 (14)
Influence (INF): 77 (18) ... 77 (18)
Mana: 20 Silver: 0<<

I haven't actually sacrificed strength or agility; as prime stats they will grow fast. I usually put prime stats for any character between 60 and 70 to allow for growth. This was the best mix I could come up with at the time. No, I didn't use a stat manager program, I sort of went by intuition. I am still overloaded with PTPs and lacking in MTPs. Boo!

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Suggestions? 08/16/2013 02:57 PM CDT
And yes, I did expect monks to be great hunters. I have watched too many Kung fu movies; I want my monk to be able to jump 20 feet straight up, 50 feet sideways, and kill 4 opponents with one blow. Every other of my characters is capable of clearing out a room with 3-4 opponents. (I wont even mention my wizard and the greater e-wave/cone combo, or my sorcerer and Greater e-wave/Implosion). My monk has to run from more than 2 foes (and 2 opponents is strecthing it!). Sort of sad for a supposed master of unarmed combat.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Suggestions? 08/16/2013 04:21 PM CDT
>>And yes, I did expect monks to be great hunters. I have watched too many Kung fu movies; I want my monk to be able to jump 20 feet straight up, 50 feet sideways, and kill 4 opponents with one blow. Every other of my characters is capable of clearing out a room with 3-4 opponents. (I wont even mention my wizard and the greater e-wave/cone combo, or my sorcerer and Greater e-wave/Implosion). My monk has to run from more than 2 foes (and 2 opponents is strecthing it!). Sort of sad for a supposed master of unarmed combat.

Too much wuxia... think of cheesier kung fu films. The problem is that GS creatures are incorrectly coded. They should be forming a large circle around your character, and then approaching individually. Then your monk can dispatch each of them in turn. This swarm business is all wrong.

"Oh, put the guns down. Is this the first day on the job or something? Look, this is how it goes: you attack me, one at a time, and I knock you out with a single punch. Okay? Go."
Re: Suggestions? 08/16/2013 06:38 PM CDT
They should be forming a large circle around your character, and then approaching individually. Then your monk can dispatch each of them in turn. This swarm business is all wrong.

---

Can we get a BCS update to address this issue? Also, can you have the critters talk out of sync with their lip movement as well?

Thanks!

-- Robert
Re: Suggestions? 08/17/2013 09:27 AM CDT
>>My monk has to run from more than 2 foes (and 2 opponents is strecthing it!). Sort of sad for a supposed master of unarmed combat.<<

It seems that UCS crits put your foes into a lot of RT. Not every crit but there are many that cause effects which slow down the critter. Because of this it becomes important to get good with targeting i.e. first orc, third troll, etc... When you get good at that you can, especially at level 9, easily keep your opponents off balance while you punch in 3s rt. I don't have the ambush ranks to aim well, but many do. If you aren't 1x spells then you probably have the TP's to improve on your aiming.

disclaimer** I also have access to a pocket mage for wizard spells.

Below are my lvl 0 stats. I bolster them with perfect self. It eats up a lot of my cman points but doesn't seem to hold this character back in any way.

Strength (STR): 62
Constitution (CON): 73
Dexterity (DEX): 62
Agility (AGI): 37
Discipline (DIS): 73
Aura (AUR): 73
Logic (LOG): 73
Intuition (INT): 69
Wisdom (WIS): 69
Influence (INF): 69

Mental TPs: 0 Fame: 795332
Physical TPs: 129 Mana: 71/71 max