Getting back into the game after not really playing for a few years...anything different I should train in? 09/05/2014 01:17 PM CDT
I've been off and on for parts of the past 6-7 years in this game. Here is my build at level 70:
Armor Use..........................| 130 35
Shield Use.........................| 136 38
Brawling...........................| 172 72
Physical Fitness...................| 124 32
Arcane Symbols.....................| 105 25
Magic Item Use.....................| 149 49
Spell Aiming.......................| 244 144
Harness Power......................| 171 71
Spirit Mana Control................| 120 30
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 50 10
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 140 40
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 70 15
Survival...........................| 124 32
Perception.........................| 70 15
Climbing...........................| 120 30
Swimming...........................| 120 30
First Aid..........................| 169 69
Major Spiritual....................| 25
Minor Spiritual....................| 35
Cleric.............................| 112

I seem to be hunting just fine, but I have a couple questions:
1. Is the shield/brawl option still viable, or did most people switch to runestaffs?
2. If I stay the shield route, should I be 1x shield instead of .5x?
3. Any new bonuses from lores that I'm missing out on?
4. I've seen some people keep going with physical fitness to 1x, whats the benefit there?
5. Should I work in any training in multi opponent combat?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Re: Getting back into the game after not really playing for a few years...anything different I should train in? 09/05/2014 03:40 PM CDT
>1. Is the shield/brawl option still viable, or did most people switch to runestaffs?

Runestaffs got upgrades. Brawl got severe downgrade (if you used fu, no change if purely for defense). Shield got upgrade for warrior/rogue/paladin only.

The net effect is that shield brawl remains viable for defense but you miss out on the cool shield stuff as a result of being a pure and the cool runestaff stuff as a result of not using a runestaff, and shield brawl builds are much less common as a result.

>2. If I stay the shield route, should I be 1x shield instead of .5x?

Shield training doesn't give that much extra defense. I'd be looking at whether to switch training points from shield ranks to MnS ranks rather than looking for places to pull training points into shield from. Post cap 1x shield will be a goal, but I'd want 3x spells first.

>3. Any new bonuses from lores that I'm missing out on?

Not sure on lores, the lore upgrade might have been just before you left. You are missing out on recent upgrades to mana control. I'd have thought you'd want lore at 1x and if you couldn't find anything worth training beyond those ranks before, there is now. You'll likely want mana control at 75 ranks when thats 1x too.

>4. I've seen some people keep going with physical fitness to 1x, whats the benefit there?

Defense against critter manoevers is the main reason.

>5. Should I work in any training in multi opponent combat?

Yes. If you use ball spells a few ranks will give significantly more splash damage. I'd want 3 ranks for that by level 30 but that's all because beyond that its really only Force on Force defense you get from it.
Re: Getting back into the game after not really playing for a few years...anything different I should train in? 09/05/2014 05:29 PM CDT
> 1. Is the shield/brawl option still viable, or did most people switch to runestaffs?

I still use shield/brawl at 91 and like it. It did kinda stink when fu went away, but I got over it.

> 2. If I stay the shield route, should I be 1x shield instead of .5x?

I didn't go all the way up to 1x for quite some time; it only gives marginally more defense. Just a plain 'ol 6x shield has been good enough for me. 1x is a good goal as you get higher up in level though.

> 3. Any new bonuses from lores that I'm missing out on?

Most clerics around your level are making full chrisms (or very very close to making them) which require 65 blessing lore ranks.

> 4. I've seen some people keep going with physical fitness to 1x, whats the benefit there?

As said above, maneuver defense mostly. It also helps with the number of rounds of sickness from 130 which I felt was really nice getting that down to only 1 round.

> 5. Should I work in any training in multi opponent combat?

I would think ball spells is the main if not only reason. I don't have any spell aim, and thus don't use ball spells, so I've never had any MOC and probably not the best one to ask this question.
Re: Getting back into the game after not really playing for a few years...anything different I should train in? 09/06/2014 02:25 AM CDT
My cleric is sort of retired; I get her out on occasion for a rescue or an invasion. I suppose I should dump all that CM and learn those final four spell ranks, and grab some more HP and lores instead, but I'm too lazy and probably too disinterested. Still, she functions quite well on the occasions when she is needed. I did have one fellow tell her that her chrisms were junk ... after she had dragged his sorry butt from the Bowels! I told him next time he could raise himself, which more or less shut him up.

Guenhafyr vonZauberwalder Race: Giantman Profession: Cleric (shown as: Conveyor)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 100 (40) ... 100 (40)
Constitution (CON): 99 (34) ... 99 (34)
Dexterity (DEX): 94 (17) ... 97 (18)
Agility (AGI): 96 (18) ... 99 (19)
Discipline (DIS): 84 (17) ... 84 (17)
Aura (AUR): 100 (20) ... 100 (20)
Logic (LOG): 99 (19) ... 99 (19)
Intuition (INT): 100 (25) ... 105 (27)
Wisdom (WIS): 100 (25) ... 113 (31)
Influence (INF): 73 (16) ... 73 (16)
Mana: 251 Silver: 80
>skill
Guenhafyr (at level 100), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 130 35
Shield Use.........................| 201 101
Combat Maneuvers...................| 201 101
Brawling...........................| 201 101
Physical Fitness...................| 201 101
Arcane Symbols.....................| 96 22
Magic Item Use.....................| 102 24
Harness Power......................| 202 102
Spirit Mana Control................| 120 30
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 50 10
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 163 63
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 90 20
Perception.........................| 140 40
Climbing...........................| 150 50
Swimming...........................| 170 70
First Aid..........................| 180 80

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 67

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 67

Spell Lists
Cleric.............................| 165
Training Points: 32 Phy 0 Mnt (1552 Phy converted to Mnt)
Re: Getting back into the game after not really playing for a few years...anything different I should train in? 09/06/2014 07:29 AM CDT
Its pretty easy to have 100% chrisms if you want to offer them. Pay 15-20k to a shop and sell for 25k to a corpse. Because its so easy almost no one offers anything other than 100% these days. Chrism jewellry is pretty common too, so if a corpse really cares that it gets a chrism, it will be able to drop one for you that it bought earlier.

Training to make them yourself is expensive. Unless its key for your RP, I'd leave it for post-cap. If it is key for your RP, 70ish is a reasonable level to aim for it.