Cleric check 03/29/2014 01:06 AM CDT
Just want to make sure I'm not making any fatal flaws with my pure cleric, he's the first one of the profession I've had that I've been successful with. He's not hurting for TPs at the moment, so any advice that is solely aimed towards saving TPs isn't necessary unless there's something expensive I'm neglecting.

For goals and hunting style, he's based in RR so he'll be fighting mostly undead and trolls until close to his 70's so I'm trying to balance my skills to be effective against both (I generally use fire spirit/gold wands on trolls and various cleric spells on undead, though fire seems to work almost as well on them). He does raise when the need arises and I'd like to make chrism gems eventually, but I'm not in any real rush to do so.

Since I'm finding myself using 111 far more then I anticipated, I'm currently pumping all my Spirit lore ranks into Summoning to beef up that spell (most of the places I'll be hunting with him from my late 20's-50's tend to swarm frequently even when solo hunting, so the splash damage will come in handy). For Major/Minor circles, I'm planning on getting 215 next but haven't decided where to go after that yet. I also need to get climbing up to 15 ranks by level 30 to get across Maelstrom Bay.

(at level 22), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Physical Fitness...................| 99 23
Arcane Symbols.....................| 66 14
Magic Item Use.....................| 124 32
Spell Aiming.......................| 148 48
Harness Power......................| 146 46
Spirit Mana Control................| 146 46
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 54 11
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 54 11
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 10 2
Climbing...........................| 45 9
Swimming...........................| 15 3
First Aid..........................| 146 46

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 13

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 12

Spell Lists
Cleric.............................| 22
Training Points: 24 Phy 0 Mnt (464 Phy converted to Mnt)

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Cleric check 03/29/2014 01:56 AM CDT
as expensive as it is, get a couple/few ranks of multi opponent combat to increase the amount of splashes on your 111. 5 ranks should be plenty, but even 2 or 3 would help.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: Cleric check 03/29/2014 02:16 AM CDT

The only differance between yours and mine is you dont use armor? and you are over 1x on HP and SMC. If it works for you it works. My cleric is in Marsh keep now using gold wands on the trolls and cleric spells on everything else. when he dings level 50 he will have 50 SMC

kills:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Physical Fitness...................| 151 51
Arcane Symbols.....................| 149 49
Magic Item Use.....................| 149 49
Spell Aiming.......................| 202 102
Harness Power......................| 149 49
Spirit Mana Control................| 140 40
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 50 10
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 50 10
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 120 30
Climbing...........................| 90 20
Swimming...........................| 120 30

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 25

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 26

Spell Lists
Cleric.............................| 69
Re: Cleric check 03/29/2014 03:03 AM CDT
<<The only differance between yours and mine is you dont use armor? and you are over 1x on HP and SMC.>>

Nope, he's in robes. Leather armor won't really make enough of a difference against most the critters whose weapon's I'm worried about to save my life (if a THW hits you in either, you're either dead or dying the next time they swing) and I'm not willing to deal with the spell hindrance of heavier armors. If they manage to hit me it hurts, but my DS is high enough that they can't hit me most of the time without disabling me first, so I'd rather focus on protecting myself from spells and maneuvers.

The HP and SMC are high, I'll admit, but I've got the points to spare on it at the moment. When I have enough enough mana and a high enough mana regen to satisfy myself, I'll likely slack off on them to work towards 1.5 or 2x in Lores.

<<My cleric is in Marsh keep now using gold wands on the trolls and cleric spells on everything else.>>

I'm looking forward to hitting Miasmal Forest with him myself.... my empath absolutely owned that area with the combination of 111 and gold wands and I want to see how the cleric fares there.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Cleric check 03/29/2014 03:06 AM CDT
<<as expensive as it is, get a couple/few ranks of multi opponent combat to increase the amount of splashes on your 111. 5 ranks should be plenty, but even 2 or 3 would help.>>

Gah, I don't know how I overlooked that! Definitely going to have to get a couple ranks in that before I hit the Jungle. Thanks!

Starchitin

Re: Cleric check 03/29/2014 01:58 PM CDT
Leathers aren't that bad for a cleric, 8 ranks lets you wear doubles and you've got no spell hindrance in them. In double leathers you'll see better AvDs, DFs, and CvA. This means that you'll be a bit harder to hit, won't get hit as hard when you do, and are slightly tougher to ward. You can also have warrior resistance added to leathers but not robes and armor support provides more carrying capacity the heavier the armor you wear. Mechanically there is no reason for a cleric/empath not to use double leathers but if you pick robes for RP reasons, roll with it.
Re: Cleric check 03/29/2014 03:54 PM CDT
>>Leathers aren't that bad for a cleric, 8 ranks lets you wear doubles and you've got no spell hindrance in them. In double leathers you'll see better AvDs, DFs, and CvA. This means that you'll be a bit harder to hit, won't get hit as hard when you do, and are slightly tougher to ward.<<

This... and if it's a gnome, just reroll. =P

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein
Re: Cleric check 03/30/2014 12:30 AM CDT
<<This... and if it's a gnome, just reroll>>

I don't have the energy to play two of them...

Starchitin

Re: Cleric check 03/31/2014 11:26 AM CDT
>Nope, he's in robes. Leather armor won't really make enough of a difference against most the critters whose weapon's I'm worried about to save my life (if a THW hits you in either, you're either dead or dying the next time they swing) and I'm not willing to deal with the spell hindrance of heavier armors. If they manage to hit me it hurts, but my DS is high enough that they can't hit me most of the time without disabling me first, so I'd rather focus on protecting myself from spells and maneuvers.

There's no hinderance for a cleric in doubles, as someone else has said. Furthermore, your assumptions about survivability and leather armor are, and please don't take this personally, flatout incorrect. Doubles will give a pure a massive increase in survivability versus robes, and unless you have a strong RP/Character image reason for not wearing leathers, you'd be crazy not to. Just to provide you with an example with the whole THW scenario you invoked: You get call winded and then tagged with a 2h sword for a 140 endroll in robes, it hits you on the neck/head. If you get the worst crit randomization you're dead. If you'd been in leathers, instead you'd have had (I'm assuming crush damage) at worst a 1 round stun (neck) or 3 round stun (head). On the chest, the difference would have been worst case 5 round stun (robes) or 1 round stun (leather).

Basically, leathers offer an immense increase in protection for a very low price. I, too, despise hinderance and run reinforced leathers on my sorcerer because I find the 2% from doubles unbearable. Thank your lucky stars you're a cleric and the dev team has decided to give you arbitrary advantages for no reason.

One other comment I would make on your training thread regards summoning lore. You said you were pumping it up for fire spirit but that you did not yet have 215 yet. I simply wanted to say that getting 215 is probably a more effective use of MTPs in regard to fire spirit's damage since summoning lore provides a pretty trivial benefit compared to the +20 to endroll provided by Heroism.

Cheerzors.

Player of Kilshaar
Re: Cleric check 03/31/2014 12:39 PM CDT
<You get call winded and then tagged with a 2h sword for a 140 endroll in robes>

I'm not going to dispute any of the numbers you throw out after the quoted line, they look accurate enough. It's the assumption that I'll ever be hit with a 140 endroll that's flawed.

I have two other pures (empath and sorcerer, both in the highest armor they can wear without hindrance) that I play regularly and when they get hit with a standard attack, it's always because they were either hit by vines or a maneuver first (making me prone, stunned, in RT, and/or in a higher stance already) or my timing got off and they got lucky enough to hit me while I'm in offensive. Either way, the endroll is guaranteed to be above 140 and I'm either dead from the first blow or stunned long enough that the critter and whatever else is in the room can take me out before the stun wears off (but it's usually the first blow, it generally seems to happen around critters that swing claids once I get past the Jungle (which I swear was designed by a sadist)). If anything, being in robes should help prevent one or two of these deaths since the lack of AP and lower weight will help me avoid vines, ewaves, and many combat maneuvers which are what really get me in trouble in the first place.

<<You said you were pumping it up for fire spirit but that you did not yet have 215 yet.>>

Not pumping it up, just putting points that would have gone into one of the other two lores anyway into Summoning instead. I'll be getting 215 by level 25 at the latest, but will more likely pick it up mid way through 24 (he's 23 now) since I tend to have a fair number of points left over after training in everything else he needs.

Starchitin

Re: Cleric check 03/31/2014 02:06 PM CDT
Fair enough. It's probably worth noting as well that with good crit padding, and factoring in Con bonus (which I did not do in my calculations for the example above) that you can take a 180-200 endroll in doubles without a stun if you get lucky. That will never happen in robes due to the vast increase in potential crit rank from the raw damage and smaller crit divisor.

If you ever do see a few deaths from that type of scenario, I would just keep in mind that double leather really does provide a massive boost in protection, an that good doubles are a lot easier to come by than good robes (a smart pure would try to snag some 4x with temp padding ECP or better). In any case, you'll be fine since clerics are ballers =).

Player of Kilshaar
Re: Cleric check 03/31/2014 11:04 PM CDT
>>Thank your lucky stars you're a cleric and the dev team has decided to give you arbitrary advantages for no reason.<<

It's actually not arbitrary, and doesn't apply just to clerics. All spirit type spells fall into this category, as well as empath and clerical professional circles. This is due to the fact that many game systems (remember D&D?) penalize elemental based spells when the caster is wearing heavier armor. That is why sorcerer circle spells (considered to be half elemental and half spiritual) have armor spell hindrances falling between spiritual and elemental circles.

Seriously, get double leather and get it padded. My cleric uses FGB, btw; she considers the extra survivability factor to be worth the spell hindrance.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."