Returnee Help 02/19/2013 10:00 AM CST
I returned yesterday after a 5 year absence and need a lot of help.

Level 60, Voln, pure caster, runestaff, cassock(cloth) armor w/o ET. I can't believe I made it to 60! I think I left when I ran out of undead. I have no real armor in my locker but do have a shield and eanoke edged weapons. I've read the posts going back a couple of years and have a general idea of where to retrain using a fixskill. Am I in the ballpark? And what will I hunt without undead?

Skills:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Training.....................| 8 5x-6x double leather
Physical Fitness...................| 160 60
Arcane Symbols.....................| 160 60
Magic Item Use.....................| 160 60
Spell Aim..........................| 190 90
Harness Power......................| 220 120
Spirit Mana Control................| 105 25
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 70 15
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 140 40
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 70 15
Perception.........................| 102 24
First Aid..........................| 102 24
Climbing...........................| 120 30
Swimming...........................| 120 30

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 40

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 30

Spell Lists
Cleric.............................| 80

Locker contains mostly cleric fluff. Thought to try out an easy spot, went to Darkstone and quickly went down to stone sents. Beseech rocks!!

Reminders of how to use spells and symbols would be appreciated as well, I'm totally lost.

Jontu
Re: Returnee Help 02/19/2013 12:43 PM CST
There are some level 54-62 undead in River's Rest now. Won't last you long, but it might be enough to gain a handful of levels.

In the VERY immediate, there is a storyline in the Landing with a temporary with numerous undead of many levels. It won't around much longer than the end of March I don't think, but it might be something if you can find the right level range.

While not undead, one potential hunting ground might be Skull Temple in Illistim. Muscular Supplicants are 67, but with your cleric DS, you should have absolutely no trouble hunting them, as they are quite simple enemies and they do drop loot. If you can make it to the 70s, there undead Shricken in Maaghara Labyrinth, and there is always the Rift.

Another tip; invest in chrisms. They are massively popular now. I left for a 4 year break myself, and when I left, they were rarely used. Nowadays, your raising will sometimes be REFUSED so that they can wait for a cleric with a chrism. If you charge for providing them, you stand to make a profit as well. Pick up a little more Blessings lore to up that chrism potential.

You probably weren't around when the Spirit Lore review went through, but there have been some nice changes. Manna bread is much better now, and gets great benefits from Blessings lore. Spirit Summoning allows cross-realm locate and return-locating, and there are a handful of other minor benefits as well for both Summoning and Blessings.

>Barnom says, "Like sage and nutmeg."
Re: Returnee Help 02/19/2013 01:16 PM CST
Do you have a runestaff? You'll get massacred with that training if you are using weapon and shield.

You can hunt undead on Teras or in Rivers Rest at level 60, but you'll run out again in another 5-10 levels. I'm not sure what's the best target for a pure cleric in the 60s in the Landing. Thanatoph/Darkstone/Krag Slopes are the areas but I've never hunted them with a pure.

Take a look through Krakiipedia to see stuff about your spells. e.g. http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/240 for 240.

302 for cheap crits, 312 to bleed out stuff, 317 for expensive crits. 306/111/118/wands for bolts. You need more summoning lore if you want to use web bolt. How to use them depends a lot on what deity you are converted to.

I don't like the minimal SMC, lore over 1x, and spell aim at 1.5x in your training, but its ballpark.
Re: Returnee Help 02/19/2013 01:28 PM CST
He's runestaff.

Drop some spell levels and bring spell aiming back up to a full 2x if you want to use bolts. Or you could dump spell aiming altogether and go 1x in brawling and shield for good physical DS and immunity to disarm, and rely just on CS based attacks.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Returnee Help 02/19/2013 01:31 PM CST

Corpse Row in Lich Landing has easy undead for you right now. (humans level 50, spirits 55, elfs 60, are basically moaners and zombies with a few extra levels)

The barracks has level 65-75 critters. Also very easy for their level, but they have a few more tricks, including disarm, so I'd stick to practising on the elfs for the moment but you can certainly take the barracks in a group.
Re: Returnee Help 02/19/2013 01:37 PM CST
This character actually capped using THWs; she was 1x in THW, brawling, shield and CMan. After she capped I realized she was using her THW skill rather infrequently, so I dumped it and her MOC ranks in favor of more spell ranks; among other things, this let her use spell 102. I kept the CMan skill so I could disarm foes with bare hands. Her DS, self-spelled, is around 650 in defensive.

>> skill
Guenhafyr (at level 100), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 130 35
Shield Use.........................| 201 101
Combat Maneuvers...................| 201 101
Brawling...........................| 201 101
Physical Fitness...................| 201 101
Arcane Symbols.....................| 96 22
Magic Item Use.....................| 105 25
Harness Power......................| 202 102
Spirit Mana Control................| 120 30
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 53 10
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 160 60
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 90 20
Perception.........................| 140 40
Climbing...........................| 150 50
Swimming...........................| 170 70
First Aid..........................| 180 80

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 67

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 67

Spell Lists
Cleric.............................| 163
Training Points: 18 Phy 0 Mnt (1508 Phy converted to Mnt)<<

"If you aren't cherating, you aren't trying hard enough."
Re: Returnee Help 02/19/2013 04:22 PM CST
Rathboner
I don't like the minimal SMC, lore over 1x, and spell aim at 1.5x in your training, but its ballpark.

What is your thoughts on SMC? How much more?
What if I drop spell aim?
Where is Lich Landing?
Follower of Ronan. What does this do?

Throgg
I note (multi-year posts) you are generally predisposed toward strong physical skills. As a pure caster w/o spell aim, what is your recommendation for minimum physical skills at 60 trains? I note your capped character has minimal skill in arcane, MIU, SMC, Bless, Summon.

I saw a quote in readings that over-training in 300's returned 75% for the first 20 and 50% for the next 60. Do any of you think it most useful of pts to over-train more than the 20 at this level?

Jontu
Re: Returnee Help 02/19/2013 05:02 PM CST
>>I note (multi-year posts) you are generally predisposed toward strong physical skills. As a pure caster w/o spell aim, what is your recommendation for minimum physical skills at 60 trains? I note your capped character has minimal skill in arcane, MIU, SMC, Bless, Summon.<<

Ah; yes, all my spell casters start off using weapons, and generally stick with them. As I mentioned, I was using THWs till cap. My basic tactic would be to freeze the foe, feint them into offensive, then whack away. It is not the most efficient method of hunting; more a matter of style preference. I dropped the THW skill when I realized that clerics were less suited to weapon use at or near cap than empaths and mages; and I wanted to see what happened when I maxxed out my CS. (Still not at max but pretty close). Basically, I vaporize anything my spells can hit.

My empath and warmage are capped, and still using THWs.

I kept my investment in lores low; basically the minimum needed for chrism gems, except for religion lore, which affects spell damage. Ancillary magical skills aren't as important for me, since I don't use a runestaff. I rarely use scrolls or imbeds, so again AS and MIU aren't much needed.

I'd say at level 60, and using spell aiming, you can slack back a bit on increasing your clerical CS. Might want to get the minor circles up a bit to increase protection, expecially from spell 102. Note that your MIU skill is more than enough to activate other profession wands; grab some gold, coral etc. wizard wands and go to town. No need to confine yourself to using holy bolt.

The lich king area is found via several hidden accesses in town. I generally use the one in the print shop S of TSE. (Go shop, search). There are undead of pretty much every level, up to 110, so do be careful where you stick your nose. The undead in any given area are all in the same ballpark age range. There is a map available of the Lich's landing, but I don't have the web address for it offhand.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Returnee Help 02/19/2013 05:24 PM CST
SMC boosts the effect you get from 240, gives you more mana and various other utility stuff. 1x SMC is roughly equivalent to 2x in harness power for the efficiency in extra mana for training point expenditure and gives other stuff too. I'd always have it at 1x before going 2x in harness.

If you drop spell aim you won't be able to bolt, but will be able to train enough spells to get a somewhat better CS attack. Most of the time this will put you a little ahead, but there will be stuff that you can't do as a result. Clerics don't have that many attack spells and you become fairly narrow in what you can do, but a bit better at it. You are probably a bit better off with the higher CS from training spells rather than spell aim for solo hunting around your level, and a lot worse off for joining in storyline and large group activities if you don't have an AS attack. You can join in a largely capped group and do stuff at much lower levels with AS attacks than you can with CS. If joining in an assault on the Lich's Citadel is the sort of thing you'd like to do, you need to train a weapon, or train spell aim, or wait till you are almost capped.

Lich Landing is a temporary hunting ground under the Landing. You should be able to find people in the Landing that can show you the way down there. Make the most of it while the story lasts. The entrance to Corpse Row is at the SW corner. The barracks are in the NE corner.

Ronan means your 302 works better on the undead than the living. You get some deity specific crits for 317 and 319, see the pages on them on Krakiipedia for more details. 340 also works better against undead for you.
Re: Returnee Help 02/19/2013 06:46 PM CST
How is this looking?
Move from cloth to double leather.....PF at max hp+....4x runestaff(will move to 7x in time)....Is 40 MIU enough to always activate wands?....Is 40 MS enough for the DS?....What secondary skills do I prioritize in the future?

Skills:
| Bonus Ranks
Armor training.....................| 40 8
Physical Fitness...................| 140 40
Arcane Symbols.....................| 140 40
Magic Item Use.....................| 140 40
Harness Power......................| 220 120
Spell Aiming.......................| 220 120
Spirit Mana Control................| 160 60
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 70 15
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 140 40
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 70 15
Perception.........................| 102 24
Climbing...........................| 120 30
Swimming...........................| 120 30

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 40

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 40

Spell Lists
Cleric.............................| 66

Trying to get my old gray head around all of this in only a couple of days is a stretch. Appreciate your input.
Jontu
Re: Returnee Help 02/19/2013 07:48 PM CST
If you want to use the spell aiming I'd suggest your lower harness power however much you need to max it out. And I agree with Rathboner, you'll want more SMC, I'd take from harness power for that as well. Quite a few people do just fine with 1x in HP. As for AS/MIU, if you actually use the skills for spelling up, by all means keep them at 1x, if not you really only need 40-50 ranks in each. For over training in cleric spells, quite a few people find it worth it and often do to maximize their CS, it still ends up being a cost cap goal to have all 303 spell ranks possible though. Most common practice is to have 67 in each spirit circle and 169 ranks in cleric spells. PF is a skill I'd never have below 1x any more with how much it helps avoiding maneuvers.
Re: Returnee Help 02/20/2013 10:51 AM CST
40 MIU will almost always activate wands. You might fail if its a particularly hard spell, you are weighed down, or the relevant stat is very low, but normally its always enough.

MnS ranks don't make that much difference to your DS, going from 30 to 40 adds 10 DS. I'd prefer the CS myself and only put the spells in MnS if I wanted to make use of the MnS warding spells (unbalance and web). However your lores are set up to support the cleric circle, so I'd have thought putting spells to emphasis cleric CS was the appropriate balance. (summoning lore for MnS, religion for cleric spells)

For future training, you can't go wrong if you put the points into spells. If you get an idea of something else you want to train more of, just ease off on the spells for a level or two, and you get the points back to train the secondary skill you decided you wanted. You might decide you want just about anything, depending on how your character develops.