Flaming Cleric 12/07/2012 02:14 PM CST

So in the years that I have resided in Elanthia, Ive never once played a cleric. So about a week ago while trying to figure out something new and different to do, I came up with the idea of a "Fireball" cleric. Now granted Im sure its been done before, but I felt like this template had some real synergy. I would appreciate any input.

Name: XXXXXXX Race: Dark Elf Profession: Cleric (Post name shown as: Spellweaver)
Level: 12 Gender: Male Age: (Select your age)

Experience:
Experience: 175175 Next level at: 197500 exp.
Exp. until next lvl: 22325
Fame: 32222 Deeds: 3 Deaths this level: 0
Your mind is clear.

Wealth:
Silvers: 8485 coins

Skills:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 66 14
Combat Maneuvers...................! 66 14
Physical Fitness...................| 66 14
Spell Aiming.......................| 114 28
Harness Power......................| 54 11
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 66 14
Perception.........................| 20 4
Climbing...........................| 30 6
Swimming...........................| 30 6
First Aid..........................| 66 14

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 10

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 11

Spell Lists
Cleric.............................| 7

Now Im pretty low level still, but what Im going for is bolting using a combination of Fire Spirit, and Web. Im going to join GoS for several reasons, obviously the fact that most of what I would fight in warcamps and elsewhere are vulnerable to fire, but I think the heavy crit weighting on my bolts would be grand. I also chose Eorgina as my diety for the fire element, and have invested in a fire flaring rune staff to set off my web bolts.
Re: Flaming Cleric 12/07/2012 02:54 PM CST
TK exclusively Fire Spirits at the cap (other than Holy Bolt) so it's really an exceptionally viable hunting method that I've experienced at least. Post-cap becomes more CS/TD stuff, but through the 90s at least it worked wonders.

Best,

Jim/Tk
Re: Flaming Cleric 12/07/2012 03:39 PM CST
Your issue will be mana, I suggest getting some mana control and 2x harness, even then you will have a rough go of is since you are using 11 mana per cast. Also how high are you going to go in armor use? As are a pure caster you need to worry about spell failure the heavier the armor you wear.

~D
AIM: Delcian

"Only after disaster can we be resurrected." - TD

Seven stars in your cloak shine brightly, forming The Gryphon in the twinkling night sky.
Re: Flaming Cleric 12/07/2012 03:43 PM CST
Web isn't worth rushing for. Keep cleric to level (for all sorts of reasons including bolt AS) and get 215 at level 15. Then go for web.

CM is for weapon users, not bolters. You should get MIU/harness power/spells instead. You also should get a couple ranks of MOC for bonus splashing. Pick up one every 10 levels till you have 3 is my recommendation. Fire spirit gets through your mana very fast at low level and its a lot easier when you have wands for finishing off critters. Warcamps take huge amounts of mana if you are soloing them. You'll either spend 6 hours mostly meditating in between runs to burn a few more trolls, or need a massive supply of wands and the MIU to use them.

Don't omit to pay a visit to the skelly ice trolls in Icemule when you are of the level for them. Hated enemies plus even more vulnerable to fire than normal trolls plus they swarm plus fire spirit ...

Critters that are vulnerable to bolts, tend to be very vulnerable. If you aren't too bothered about going after every AG bounty you get, it will work fine. You do want that MIU for wand back up though. I had 2x MIU to 40 ranks on my bolting cleric. You will get frustrated with how fast your mana evaporates for quite a few levels yet if you dont use wands to supplement it.
Re: Flaming Cleric 12/07/2012 04:12 PM CST

excellent, thank you all for bringing up points I hadnt though of. Cheers!
Re: Flaming Cleric 12/07/2012 07:44 PM CST
You have NO MIU skill; get some asap. Use wizard wands to supplement your mana. Gold wands especially useful if you are going after trolls and their ilk. Area effect web also useful; when critters get stuck, hit them with fire. Definitely get 2x HP as a pure casting cleric; you can never have too much mana.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me