Polearm Bard 01/02/2014 07:28 PM CST
I've recently rolled up my first bard, so I'm going to need a lot of help on how to train and play this character. Most of my experience is in playing pures.

This character is an elf, and will be using polearms. Might go pure with enough levels, but I have no idea how to make that work. I'll be playing in Plat so I can pretty much go anywhere.

Any help for stats and skills is more than appreciated!
Re: Polearm Bard 01/03/2014 09:52 AM CST
As an Elf your INFluence is superb; you can count on Lullabye/1005 being extremely reliable, and then bashing things with the stick in your hand. This worked for my pure-blood Elf Bard for the first 29 levels.

At 30th level you can consider shifting to spells-only, because you get Disruption Song/1030; just make certain you have fifteen (15) ranks of ML:Manipulation. Before 30th level, don't even think about being a pure spellcaster, because your only damage-inflicting spell is Banshee's Wail/1008. Yes, I know that Vibration Chant/1002 can deal damage... but ONLY if the creature is carrying a weapon or shield (or both).
Re: Polearm Bard 01/25/2014 04:00 PM CST
My first 30 days are almost up and I'm in search of feedback on stats and skills!

Elven polearming bard, may eventually go pure.

70 Strength (STR) 76 Aura (AUR)
74 Constitution (CON) 89 Logic (LOG)
70 Dexterity (DEX) 74 Intuition (INT)
70 Agility (AGI) 35 Wisdom (WIS)
20 Discipline (DIS) 82 Influence (INF)

I'm rather hesitant to put the wisdom and discipline so low. Am I missing any reason why I shouldn't tank them?

Skills:
2x armor to 50 ranks for aug chain
2x polearms
1x CM
1x PF
1x HP
1x mental mana control
1x spells (bard only for now, since I have access to minor elemental on another character)
1x air lore
Telepathy lore and dodge when possible

This doesn't allow me any tertiary skills like climbing, swimming and perception. I know I'll need to adjust this, but I'm not sure how.

Any feedback is appreciated!
Re: Polearm Bard 01/25/2014 04:17 PM CST
Stats first, DIS affects how many songs you can sing at once before you start having to pay additional mana on renewals. It is called multiple song penalty you can read about it a little here( http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Bard_Base) WIS is your spirit TD and a bards weakness lowering this is going to make hunting spiritual casters more difficult, not much of a problem in the earlier levels but later they are completely unavoidable.

Skills
1x MMC - Don't really need this and as a physical bard only pick up mana controls if sharing is a high priority for you
Dodge - You'll want 1x in dodge eventually, with access to minor elemental spells you can probably put it off for a while but sooner or later you'll want more DS.
2x armor- You can probably cut back to just 1x in armor to make room for any other skills you want and you usually want to train off minor elemental hindrance not just bard, especially when you swing a weapon because of how useful ewave is.
1x Air lore - While it can be fun for flares it isn't something that is generally a priority until you can sing tonis and you've got your other desired skills filled in.

You don't mention what level you are but if you are under 30 you may find you don't have quite enough training points to squeeze everything you want in but as you level you will be able to.

If you haven't read it yet, I suggest you read Whirlin's Wondrous Guide to Barddum ( http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Guides_by_Whirlin:_Two_Hander,_One_Hander,_Archer,_Pure,_Two_Weapon_Bard_Guide )
Re: Polearm Bard 01/27/2014 11:19 AM CST
One "O" in "barddom", unless you're calling 'em dumb (in which case "U" would be desirable as you had it).

:)

DIScipline is something that you can afford to tank, even though it does play into MSP/Multi-Song Penalty. Whatever minor amount of offset that you gain, is more than made up for by the fact that you are a pure Elf with high INFluence stat (and racial bonus on top of that), so your duration will be longer than lesser mortals. The less often you have to pay, the less you pay, even if your penalty is higher. I did a substantial analysis of this many years ago. I could sing an additional Song (its own renewal amount PLUS 12 mana MSP) versus another Bard of the same level with much shorter renewal, and still pay less mana in an hour than he would.

ML:Telepathy ranks will increase your renewal duration, and at lower levels where you don't need the Manipulation ranks (i.e. "you're swinging a weapon" not relying on spells) it helps your AS as well. Both of these help tremendously.

And the number of Songs you know flat-out reduces MSP also. So if you go heavy in Songs, your penalty for singing what the system deems as "too many" will drop, as well.

Short version: don't be scared by MSP. But remember that until you get to more-than-+21-Sonic-Equipment, there really isn't much use in adding those to your medley; just use off-the-shelf +20/vultite equivalent equipment.
Re: Polearm Bard 01/27/2014 10:26 PM CST
>>One "O" in "barddom"<<

"Bardoom!"... The sound made when you use song of Disruption against a bunch of critters.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Another Polearm Bard: skill suggestions needed 02/06/2014 11:51 AM CST
Got a polearm bard with a bunch of MTPs to use. (I dumped some ranks of MMC, air lore and some telepathy lore since prior posts seemed to indicate I wouldn't need them at my level). Currently left with 148 MTPs. What to do with them? Was initially using a sonic lance but switched to a 4x naginata. Using sweep as a disabling CMan; can't remember why I picked that instead of charge ... doh! :P

Linisopril (at level 22), your base skill bonuses, ranks and goals are:
Skill Name | Actual Actual
| Bonus Ranks Goals In-Game Time to Goal
Armor Use..........................| 114 28 28
Combat Maneuvers...................| 102 24 24
Polearm Weapons....................| 148 48 48
Physical Fitness...................| 102 24 24
Dodging............................| 102 24 24
Arcane Symbols.....................| 25 5 5
Magic Item Use.....................| 30 6 6
Harness Power......................| 96 22 22
Perception.........................| 70 15 15
Climbing...........................| 62 13 13
Swimming...........................| 45 9 9

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 7 7

Spell Lists
Bard...............................| 17 17
Training Points: 5 Phy 148 Mnt

Any suggestions?

The bells of Hell go ting-a-ling-a-ling for you but not for me
Re: Another Polearm Bard: skill suggestions needed 02/06/2014 12:38 PM CST
Oh, and while I am at it, what's a good armor to train to? Brigandine? And does sonic armor have any spell hindrance?

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Another Polearm Bard: skill suggestions needed 02/06/2014 02:36 PM CST
<<<Oh, and while I am what's a good armor to train to? Brigandine? And does sonic armor have any spell hindrance?>>>

Sonic armor has spell hindrance the same as regular armor of the same type.

Brigandine is a good intermediate goal at 35 ranks of Armor Use. But Augmented Chain is the ideal stopping point. 50 ranks Armor Use will train spellsong hindrance to a minimum of 8%. 60 ranks are needed to train away the maneuever penalty. The eventual goal, however, is 90 ranks to train Minor Elemental hindrance to the minimum of 10% (mainly for ewaves).

~ GtG
Re: Another Polearm Bard: skill suggestions needed 02/07/2014 12:57 PM CST
I would say put those mental points back into lores, i'm not sure who said you wouldn't 'need' them at your level but there's no point in waiting till you need it to start training. air lore is a great one to do every level up to 30 ranks, telepathy lore you only need I think 15 or 16 ranks to get a nice little AS boost to Kai's triumph and it makes your song cycle last longer which will save you mana on those longer hunts. I'll agree you can wait on manipulation lore til after 30 trains, but I do like the benefits it gives to using 1002 as a set up. Brig armor is a great stopping point until at least great lord level.

Archales
Re: Another Polearm Bard: skill suggestions needed 02/08/2014 03:32 AM CST
My intermediate goals for lores would be 15 Manipulation (for single-target disrupt, along with vibration chant, and purifying gems), 20 Telepathy (song duration, plus it's the point of diminishing returns for Song of Tonis duration), and 30 Air ranks (-1 sec. to Song of Tonis, plus perks to sonics). All can and should go beyond that, eventually, but those are reasonable goals for 50ish, if not sooner.

~ GtG