I stink 10/14/2013 05:15 PM CDT
Ok, I'm going to come right out and admit it up front: I stink at playing bards.

I have two of them and they've both hit a brick wall before even making it to level 20 and become characters I only pull out when I need something sung to and get tired of waiting for a real bard to show up... but I'd like to get one further. So, in a last ditch effort to get one moving again, I'm gonna post one's skill here. Her stats are well beyond adjustment (and, after looking at them, I can see that a reroll may be in order), but I'll happily fixskills her into anything that makes her playable for me (if it helps, the professions I've been most successful with are rogue, sorcerer, and empath):

(at level 16), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Combat Maneuvers...................| 78 17
Polearm Weapons....................| 128 34
Physical Fitness...................| 82 18
Dodging............................| 82 18
Harness Power......................| 74 16
Mental Mana Control................| 78 17
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 15 3
Mental Lore - Manipulation.........| 5 1
Mental Lore - Telepathy............| 78 17
Climbing...........................| 40 8
Swimming...........................| 40 8

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 1

Spell Lists
Bard...............................| 16

Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 95 (27) ... 95 (27)
Constitution (CON): 90 (20) ... 87 (18)
Dexterity (DEX): 76 (13) ... 76 (13)
Agility (AGI): 46 (-2) ... 46 (-2)
Discipline (DIS): 42 (-4) ... 42 (-4)
Aura (AUR): 97 (23) ... 97 (23)
Logic (LOG): 69 (14) ... 69 (14)
Intuition (INT): 72 (16) ... 72 (16)
Wisdom (WIS): 44 (-3) ... 44 (-3)
Influence (INF): 95 (22) ... 95 (22)
Mana: 58 Silver: 0

your Combat Maneuver training is as follows:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Trip trip 2

Available Combat Maneuver Training Points: 8

The only skill that's non-negotiable is the swimming training, she needs that for the town she's based in.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: I stink 10/14/2013 06:27 PM CDT
I'll lend what advice I can based on my experience with my current bard. You didn't really mention what sort of combat style you were trying for, but as you have polearm use I'll assume you wish to stay with it.

For starters your lores seem off -- you should be 1x in Air lore because A) It will positively affect all of your sonic gear, including giving you extra chances at multiple flares from sonic lances, and B) It will affect Song of Tonis at level 35 which will become your bread and butter spell, particularly with a 2HW. (At 30 ranks of Air you get -2 RT, at 75 ranks you get -3). Additionally the Air lore will increase the dodge bonus of the spell.

Manipulation lore may or may not be mandatory for you depending on your hunting style, but it's a nice idea to have 15 ranks by level 30 so that you can halve the mana cost of Sonic Disruption. Even if you intend on staying with the polearm for your character's life, Sonic Disruption really is the most fun you can possibly have for 15 mana and it comes in handy on occasions when you're swarmed or something is laughing at your weapon.

Telepathy lore is mostly useful in group combat situations, but if you're hunting solo I would certainly give preference to Air and Manipulation.

Your armor use is also low. Bear in mind that once you've sung your songs renewal is NOT subject to armor failure, so feel free to bulk up on the armor. My bard is currently in brig, and even though she's a frequent combat-caster she rarely notices the 7% failure.

If you're looking for something completely different, you can try out a sword/boarder who hunts primarily using Sonic Disruption. My bard has had spectacular luck with that model (thank you Krakii!) and it's a blast (sorry for the pun but I couldn't resist) to play.

Your stats I'll leave up to you. Clearly they aren't optimized for cap but they're high in most of the right places (primarily INF for your sleep/other spells).

If you have any more questions, feel free to find Gittyna in the Rest. She's always happy to talk shop!
Re: I stink 10/15/2013 09:37 AM CDT
Let me just add, that I didn't find bard to be the easiest at the lower to mid levels, but once you do get up there, it is a blast. If I could only have one character, it would be a bard, they are so versatile. They can hunt physically, or as a pure at higher levels, they can loresing and purify gems. I know others would choose differently, but for me, if I could only choose one, it would be bard.
Re: I stink 10/15/2013 10:35 AM CDT
(Glad you're having fun blowing things up wholesale, Naikita! :)

Unfortunately, Disruption is pretty much our One-Trick Pony... and it only kicks in when you're double the level you're at right now. So it's a long row to hoe until you get there.

That said, though, there is much you can do as a physical combat Bard!

First and foremost: Lullabye is the weapon-swinger's friend. With sword-and-board like I went up, I was pretty much plinking them to death... but my plinks got a lot harder when the beasties were at -50DS from laying on the ground. With a pole arm like you're using, many of your first swings at a critter will also be the last swing at that critter. The more Songs you know the better of you'll be with Lullabye, and if you can get some INFluence boosters that will help you put 'em to sleep.
(At your level we were still in GS3, so my Elf had a CHArisma bonus about a dozen higher than yours is. I was able to rely on the critters being prone (sleeping) more than half the time, and about another quarter-to-third of the time I was having them be dazed but still standing. Either way, they were no longer a danger to me. This cannot be underestimated as a benefit, especially when you have no shield.)

I would be less concerned about Air Lore at this time, honestly. Pole Arms swing slowly enough that you're not going to benefit greatly from the additional flares (unless you reliably hunt with Hasting abilities, like imbedded items or a Mage hiking with you). For the most part, you're relying on the damage power of the weapon itself. Smaller faster weapons eat up sonic flares with a spoon, but for bigger slower ones it's not as important.

Stick with Telepathy Lore for the added AS for yourself & the group, and also the longer duration for your songs: the longer your medley lasts (i.e. "not sucking up available mana for a Renew") the more times you can throw your 5-mana Lullabye in a hunt.

If you do want to mix up your Lore (or you're at a breakpoint in Telepathy and don't want to train it until the next step of benefits), adding Manipulation Lore to make your Vibration Chant more effective is also worthwhile.
(I made a deliberate effort not to hunt 'natural' creatures, like pumas or steel golems, because they do not carry weapons or shields. Getting a free wound/stun/disable/prone/kill from a 2-mana spell (instead of 'only' prone/asleep from a 5-mana spell) is worth it.)

Short version is: as a Bard, you are pretty well locked into swinging a weapon for the first 29 levels. Once you hit 30th, you have some options open up.
Re: I stink 10/15/2013 02:09 PM CDT
Bards are pretty versatile. Polearm has become the popular choice, but sword and board always works for a bit less TPs.

I raised my original bard in GS3 mainly on sword and board, but later as a Voln-Fu brawler. I decided to embrace the new UAC system for her, and she kicks butt. It's a slower system, but bards have some distinct advantages, like sonic armor, Tonis song, and of course our great disablers like vibration chant, lullabye and even holding song. And as a brawler, it's easy to hold an instrument in combat (hold it in your left hand) and go to town with the Depression and Sonic Disruption one-two-punch.

My other bard has become my favorite character. She's a dwarven crossbow user (never bows--crossbows are perfect in cramped mineshafts), which has always been challenging but extremely effective. It's not a training path I'd recommend for everyone, obviously, but she's pretty amazing. She's a locksmith as well, so TPs are stretched pretty thin. If she wasn't a picker she'd be a much better bard, but that's another RP sacrifice I've chosen to make. There have been many times I've found myself staring at the Skill Goals page, deleting those picking ranks, and marveling at how awesome she'd be if I could let them go. But no. I just can't do it. :)

Bottom line is bards can be almost anything you want. Polearms, sword and board, archery, brawling, two-weapons...whatever floats your boat. Of course, the "pure bard" is also a popular choice nowadays, but that comes later. I personally don't see any reason to pursue a "pure" path. A "normal" bard is still devastating with Disruption.

My lore recommendations would be to go for 15 ranks manipulation early. This is for vibration chant, purifying gems, and of course Sonic Disruption when you hit 30th. You'll want 20 ranks of telepathy and 30 ranks air for Tonis, when you can manage them (after 20 ranks telepathy, you get diminishing returns for duration on Tonis). Of course you don't stop there...those are just your preliminary goals. They all have benefits you'll want, as time goes by. But 15/20/30 is a good starting point.

Lots of good information here, so I won't rehash what others have already said. I will second the motion that bards are one of the most fun and rewarding classes, no matter what path you choose! :)

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: I stink 10/16/2013 07:16 AM CDT
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Looks like there's not much to be done for the short term other then just sticking it out and maybe tweaking some lores. At least I know now that I'm not doing anything hugely wrong that's holding me back.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: I stink 10/16/2013 03:58 PM CDT

The problem I see most here is that you are thinking in terms of GS3. Allow yourself the most combat abilities as possible now. Ignore lores that do not help you right now. Then fixkill into them when you are the appropriate trainings.

This will answer questions like. Why suffer through manipulation lore from ranks 1-15 (or above) until I get 1030. Why bother with air lore if I can not use 1035 and I do not use sonic items. Things like that will free up TP's.

GBB
Re: I stink 10/16/2013 04:42 PM CDT
<<<This will answer questions like. Why suffer through manipulation lore from ranks 1-15 (or above) until I get 1030. Why bother with air lore if I can not use 1035 and I do not use sonic items. Things like that will free up TP's.>>>

That's very true and a good point. But I think some manipulation and telepathy may be worth getting early for the benefits to vibration chant, purifying gems, song duration, AS boost, etc. The extra seconds between renewals adds up to more mana per hunt. Air lore can wait, unless you're using sonics. I do agree, though. No need to rush, as other skills take priority. Toss in lores as points allow.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: I stink 10/17/2013 08:11 AM CDT
I didn't start Manipulation Lore until making 16th level (so I would enter 30th level with the 15 I needed); as Galen says, that was in GS3, before annual FixSkills and the "goals" screen.

Now? Sure, start around 28th level, and train three ranks per level--if you make levels quickly and don't want to wait until May--or wait until 30th and FixSkill in (if you don't [level], or do [want to wait]).

At low levels, I would go with Telepathy Lore: AS (including for the group), and longer medley duration.

Around your level, when I could expect to see greater warding margins, I would at least consider starting some Manipulation for use with VibChant on weapon- and shield-bearing creatures. I might not actually go for it, but I would at least think about it before giving it a miss.

As I said previously, using slow big weapons (2Hand, or Pole Arm like you) I would not bother with Air Lore until much later. You're killing by DF, not by speedy flare.
Air Lore does kick in on the damage from Banshee's Wail/1008, but you don't need to be chucking around an 8-mana spell.
Instead, use your 5 (Lullabye) or 2 (VibChant) mana Songs for your set-ups.
(And remember that if you blow up the shield, that's a free -20DS; if you stun them, too, from the explosion, that's another -20... that's only 2 mana for nearly the benefit of sleeping/prone 5-mana Lullabye.)

Since you're long on Songs, soon your (free) Sonic Weapon bonus is going to start passing the +20 off-the-shelf weapons, so you can switch over to those. Unless you hunt undead, in which case I would stick with the normal weapons (Paladin prep + Cleric bless == double the swings, possibly with flares) rather than the plain Sonic +10 weapon.
Re: I stink 10/22/2013 07:18 PM CDT
Hmm, my bard is sort of in limbo right now, as I am busy trying to cap my Paladin, but here's what I have so far. Trying for a mostly physical bard. In Voln, if that matters. I ended up dumping some stats to the bottom; you may want to do differently. I wasn't expercting this to be a main character, so don't go by my weird placements.

Name: Linisopril vomZauberwalden Race: Half-Elf Profession: Bard (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Constitution (CON): 76 (13) ... 76 (13)
Dexterity (DEX): 80 (20) ... 80 (20)
Agility (AGI): 95 (32) ... 95 (32)
Discipline (DIS): 53 (-4) ... 53 (-4)
Aura (AUR): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Logic (LOG): 31 (-9) ... 31 (-9)
Intuition (INT): 36 (-7) ... 36 (-7)
Wisdom (WIS): 67 (8) ... 67 (8)
Influence (INF): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Mana: 76 Silver: 423
> skill
Linisopril (at level 22), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 114 28
Combat Maneuvers...................| 102 24
Polearm Weapons....................| 148 48
Physical Fitness...................| 102 24
Dodging............................| 102 24
Arcane Symbols.....................| 25 5
Magic Item Use.....................| 30 6
Harness Power......................| 96 22
Mental Mana Control................| 50 10
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 58 12
Perception.........................| 70 15
Climbing...........................| 62 13
Swimming...........................| 45 9

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 7

Spell Lists
Bard...............................| 16
Training Points: 4 Phy 8 Mnt
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

> spell all
Minor Elemental:
Number Name
401 Elemental Defense I
402 Presence
403 Lock Pick Enhancement
404 Disarm Enhancement
405 Elemental Detection
406 Elemental Defense II
407 Unlock
Bard Base:
Number Name
1001 Holding Song
1002 Vibration Chant
1003 Fortitude Song
1004 Purification Song
1005 Lullabye
1006 Song of Luck
1007 Kai's Triumph Song
1008 Stunning Shout
1009 Sonic Shield Song
1010 Song of Valor
1011 Song of Peace
1012 Sonic Weapon Song
1013 Song of Unravelling
1014 Sonic Armor
1015 Song of Depression
1016 Song of Rage

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: I stink 01/01/2014 09:44 AM CST

I know this thread is a couple of months old, but there is still another, more rarely played bard option I still play because after all these years, I still think it's fun as hell and definitely not boring.

It's just a slight variation to the sword and board, but with the addition of 55 ranks of multi-opponent combat, allowing you to swing 3x at one creature. {Lullabye + Tonis + 3x mstrike w/OHE weapon = 4 second swing. Not bad, and your outright swings are at 2 seconds with tonis.

The training path is rigorous and difficult since you have to sacrifice at first to gain those 55 ranks of MOC but after level 65 or so things start catching up and you literally become a beast capable of easily hunting anything, anywhere you want. This was an important decision for me as I wanted to experience every hunting area in the lands without needing anything special.
Re: I stink 01/05/2014 10:59 PM CST

That sounds pretty interesting Need. Any chance you can break that down for me?

I've been gone 10+ years and I didn't have much bard knowledge when I played.
Re: I stink 01/09/2014 11:15 AM CST
'm a little late with my feedback but here's my 2 cents on polearm bards, its an excerpt from a larger bard guide but since you just asked about polearm builds I'd figured i'd be specific in my response. I apologize for the formatting, it was copied and pasted out of a player writable book.

For lancers, I recommend double training (2x) polearms, and single training (1x) dodge, spells, combat|maneuvers, physical fitness, harness power, and lores. Polearm training is more expensive than|one handed weapons, making it harder to train in tertiary skills such as skinning, climbing, or first aid.|Lances hit hard, but are unwieldy, if you can’t swing them fast enough, try using a hammer of kai, or|naginata. For bards training in polearms while expensive, is easier than learning two handed weapons|and provides access to the charge maneuver which is the most lethal knock down maneuver. Try learning|the feint, charge, combat mastery, and dirtkick maneuvers. Polearms also work well with singing weapon|(1025), I suggest using the halberd base.||This build can focus on manipulation lore, flares are not as important on large weapons, and it will improve|your purification song(1004), make your singing weapon’s (1025) attack stronger, and improve the|damage from 1002 and 1030.

Hope that helps,
Archales