gem orbs 09/15/2013 11:36 AM CDT
I am a bit ignorant about gem orbs. Can someone give me a general run down about our role with gem orbs?
Re: gem orbs 09/15/2013 11:49 AM CDT
Gems come in three flavors.

1) Standard gem with inclusions, imperfections and general value inhibitors. Bards can 'purify' these types of gems to make them more valuable, including generating an orb gem (see 2).
2) Orb gem is a gem that is purified (either through bard song or other magical influences) to the point where it will no longer respond to bard song. These gems can be used for other magical interactions -- chrism gems and recharging gems are two of the more popular uses.
3) A mage-rechargable gem is a gem that has been improved / purified beyond the previous two. No one is sure how this happens, since no bard is able to get gems to this state by themselves (in other words, it's randomly generated in game).

Then of course there's always the 'REAL' gem discussion -- but that doesn't pertain here in my view.

There are some interesting elements about 1 and 2 above -- gem tier, value, method of calculating increase in value, an understanding that it is possible to find an uncut diamond orb gem that cannot be purified any further, and yet that orb may essentially be worth 1/4th or less the value of a well made bard designed uncut diamond orb gem, and etc. . .

It good to be bard.

Doug
Re: gem orbs 09/15/2013 11:54 AM CDT
They are required for various magic. If a spell requires a gem component that gem will have to be an orb.

Bards can detect those that occur naturally in various ways (loresong and 1004). Most classes have some way to detect orbs, what they can't do is create them.
However bards can create them from ordinary gems as a possible result of purification (once they orb they can't be purified any more which is how you can tell from 1004).

To create orbs, start with a lot of gems and mana and clove. Sing 1004 for long enough and you'll get orbs. Its obvious when it happens. Practice with low value gems, because you'll blow them up (hence the clove) while you are learning the way purify and orbing works. If you are making them for others to use, then use high value gems, because the generally the higher the value of the orb, the better the spell its used with will be.
Re: gem orbs 09/15/2013 11:54 AM CDT

As a bard you have the ability to identify orb gems through your loresong ability and you can improve the quality non-orb gems such that some of them can become orb gems through the use of your Purification Song (1004).

I am not sure if the loresong messaging for orb gems is a in-game secret or not so I would simply suggest you acquire a known orb gem and sing to it to figure out the loresong messaging that is associated with an orb gem.

-- Robert
Re: gem orbs 09/15/2013 04:01 PM CDT
What are the factors for creating your own gem orbs?
Re: gem orbs 09/15/2013 05:18 PM CDT
Number 1 is experience -- most young bards don't do exceptionally well.

Number 2 is reducing failures -- training in certain skills helps with that.

Something that you may not be aware of is our very own KrakiiPedia wiki, that has a world of information in it, including much of what we've stated so far. Check this out (in particular, the bottom of the page) and explore topics further:

http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/1004

Doug
Re: gem orbs 09/15/2013 06:56 PM CDT
There's also this description from the the official play.net page for the spell:

"
While singing this song, the Bard can direct the resulting sonic vibrations across the surface of a gem, removing blemishes and impurities in the process. Every successful round increases the value of a gem by 10 percent. There is a chance of a failure ending in damage or destruction of the gem. It is possible to create an imbeddable gem or a gem usable in the recharging process.

Training in Mental Lore, Manipulation reduces the chance of failure when purifying a gem."

Although, I imagine the krakiipedia article goes into more details derived from player research and/or information from official forum posts by GM's on various subjects.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er