A couple of questions about 1030 and 1035. 03/13/2013 03:31 PM CDT
I've been leveling up a bard with the intent of being a pure 1030 user, with a 2H instrument. Don't bother bringing up the DS shortcomings of this build, because I am quite aware of it.

My first question, is if training past 15 ranks in manipulation lore, will really increase my 1030 damage much. I will already have the 75 ranks bonus, due to using the instrument, but I will not get the extra raw damage that it gives. Is this extra damage significant?

My second question, is in regards to 1035 duration. According to krakiipedia, it works like this:

"The bonus is +1 second per rank for the first 20 ranks of ML, Telepathy. Every 2 lore ranks thereafter will increase the spellsong's duration +1 second. The maximum duration (base + lore bonus) with 100 ranks of ML, Telepathy is 120 seconds."

Does that mean the BONUS caps at 120, or the entire duration? In other words, can INF, or anything else, increase it beyond 120 seconds?
Re: A couple of questions about 1030 and 1035. 03/13/2013 04:00 PM CDT
Tonis is a (short!) fixed-duration spell, per the website. Then the Lore adds extra duration. That's it.

With Disruption, the max possible bonus is 60 ranks' equivalent of damage.
- If you happen to be using 15 ranks to cast single-target, then in order to get 60 ranks of bonus damage you will need (15+60 ==) 75 ranks to do it.
- If you happen to be mastered in a 2Hand instrument while casting, that mastery is itself the equivalent of 60 ranks of Lore. In order to be able to cast a single-target, you must have 15 ranks, but they will do nothing for you even in open-casting (you technically have 60 ranks' equivalent in 2Hand instrument bonus + 15 ranks of Lore == 75 notional ranks of skill, but since the max possible bonus is 60 ranks [which you get from your instrument] then the ranks of actual Lore do nothing more for you when blasting the whole room).

Basically, if you're the kind of person not-like-me who is actually okay with spending time mastering an instrument, then you can reap some benefit from that by saving on training points that you don't need to sink into Lore ranks.

If on the other hand you're the kind of person who wants to go through combat holding actual implements designed for that--like sword & shield, or a 2Hand weapon of some kind, or a bow--then you won't be playing an instrument while doing so; you need to train up in Lore.

It's a matter of world outlook. :)
Re: A couple of questions about 1030 and 1035. 03/13/2013 04:15 PM CDT
If you look at it:
60 - base duration
20 - 1 second per rank for the first 20 ranks
40 - 1 second per 2 ranks after first 20, 100 - 20 = 80/2=40
120 - total of the above numbers

So, simply put 120 seconds is the maximum duration for tonis with 100 ranks in telepathy.
Re: A couple of questions about 1030 and 1035. 03/13/2013 04:19 PM CDT
So of course as soon as I hit post I think of the obvious thing, enhancives. As that document was typed up before they came out, is that 120 seconds a hard cap or will enhancives extend it beyond? Which might have been what the OP was meaning to ask in the first place.
Re: A couple of questions about 1030 and 1035. 03/13/2013 04:34 PM CDT
<<<My first question, is if training past 15 ranks in manipulation lore, will really increase my 1030 damage much. I will already have the 75 ranks bonus, due to using the instrument, but I will not get the extra raw damage that it gives. Is this extra damage significant?>>>

Playing a mastered two-handed instrument unlocks the full destructive potential of Sonic Disruption.

You only need the 15 ranks of manipulation lore for the focused, single-target version. Without an instrument, you should see increased damage with more ranks until you reach 75 (which is the same as zero ranks with a two-handed instrument). So mastering an instrument is kind of a big deal, if this is something that interests you.

Here's the breakdown of Manipulation Lore benefits for 1030:
(This assumes you are mastered in the appropriate instrument.)

15 ranks: unlocks single-target version
30 ranks: equal to playing a one-handed instrument for multi-target version (but not single)
45 ranks: equal to playing a one-handed instrument for both single and multi-target versions.
60 ranks: equal to playing a two-handed instrument for multi-target version only
75 ranks: equal to playing a two-handed instrument for both single and multi-target versions.

Note, if you have 45 ranks of lore and play a one-handed instrument, it's the same as playing a two-handed instrument (max damage). So that's a good goal if you want to hold a runestaff, weapon or shield. Of course you'll have to master a percussion instrument in that case.

As for defense...

My brawling bard can hold the instrument in her left hand and usually manage to survive long enough to get the spell off. Once you start unleashing Disrupt, defense becomes a moot point since everything in the area will soon be dead (provided you have enough mana). I usually lead with Depression to lower TD, then unleash holy hell with Disrupt. It's a wonder to behold.

<<<Basically, if you're the kind of person not-like-me who is actually okay with spending time mastering an instrument, then you can reap some benefit from that by saving on training points that you don't need to sink into Lore ranks.>>>

Absolutely. Would I like to have enough lore not to need my instrument? Sure! But that's a lot of TPs for a mid-level bard. Plus, since I was around when instruments were released, it's sort of a big deal for me to actually get to use them to such devastating effect. It still tickles me to no end, honestly. I always felt that the lore option was sort of "cheating" in a way. :)

~ Heathyr and her bardly friends
Re: A couple of questions about 1030 and 1035. 03/13/2013 06:54 PM CDT
Thanks! That's good to know!

Now if only mana wasn't a problem at low levels!
Re: A couple of questions about 1030 and 1035. 03/18/2013 07:34 PM CDT
A pure bard is best designed to not be pure until they fixskill into it around level 40 to 50 (assuming you want life to be moderately simple). To each their own, however. 1002 is very nice with manip lore and quite often you can get a crit kill if it strikes a good area. It's pretty much the best way to open up solo combat at any level, assuming you're going pure. 1008 is pricey and just doesn't seem to cut it until later but by then you have 1030. As a bard, you really can't be a pure, even using 409, until you have the right spell and the right amount of mana. 1013 helps a lot, and certainly 1018 used wisely helps tremendously.

Not sure if you are switching into pure or started there. Also, I wouldn't bother using 1035 as a pure bard. It's way too mana intensive to use together with 1030 with any consistency. It's cheaper to renew 1015, then get your cast of 1030 off. My experience post cap is that trying to use both spells just ends in frustration from mana loss. Aim for the 75 ranks of manip lore, working the rest to telepathy eventually.

When mana becomes an issue, use 1002 to stun a critter, then follow up with 1013 repeatedly to recharge. Make sure wherever you hunt, you know which critters afford the most potential mana. I liked using cman sweep to keep a critter in RT and not attacking while using 1013 to drain mana. That's not as easy if you are a pure...1002 stun, then 1013, maybe a 1005, then renew 1013 until you get some mana. The difficulty is that 1030 kills so fast that you can't use that to stun with so you have to dance a bit while getting a fill up. As for which critter makes the best battery, it's not always what your first impression might lean toward.

~Galenok
Re: A couple of questions about 1030 and 1035. 03/18/2013 07:35 PM CDT
Oops, five days late to this convo.

~Galenok