Shield v. Dodge (among other things) 12/27/2012 08:51 AM CST
I preface this by stating that this is also crossposted on the PC, and of course one not need to reply to both posts. ;) I just know that some go there and not here and vice versa and why would I not use all my resources?

I'm mucking about with a bard spreadsheet and I'm trying to wrap my head around dodge and shield training.

A dodge is 6/6, where a second rank in shields would be 10/0 if I'm thinking correctly. Also, yes I'm sold on sword/board so... no polearming or whatnot (I have a warrior for that).
... Well let me just throw up what I have in the sheet and then talk.

1x armor (to 60)
1x shield
2x edged
1x PT
1x CM
.5x dodge
.5x perception
1x HP (avoiding level 0)
1x spells (also avoiding level 0... more on this later)
1x Air
1x Telepathy

The character itself is an Erithian, and the stats are fit for growth although all base bonuses are positive (lowest is actually INF since it grows to 100).

So anyway, I had read that the dodge recommendation is .75x, but I go into negativity that way. I assume it's due to Telepathy, and I'm wondering to drop that down a bit in the early levels, but I don't feel I know enough to make that decision. The other option is, since most of the "other" skills I am looking at are mostly mental is to drop the dodge altogether and go double shield. In that case I trade 6 MTP for 4 PTP. I suppose a problem with that is an MOC issue, in that those points will be more challenging. I have not decided upon a society yet, GoS may be an option, but only because I imagine the crit weighting is almost hard to resist. That, of course, gives me further issues with needing more PT down the line, which the other two societies don't foster. I've also seen builds that push armor quickly, to which I'd definitely drop telepathy and... well I dunno what else. The TP shortage I'm having also falls into why I don't get a spell at level 0, it's just not fitting easily.

CMANs I'm pretty sold on feint first, and then... focus? I just don't know where else to really go. Or whether I should max feint first or spread the points around.

The second question regards spell benchmarks. Obviously I get my weapon, but how far do I push after that? Do I push all the way to 1035? Or do I drop off somewhere to go after 425? I'm pretty strict upon 1x spells I feel with my desire to be a primary swinger with spell augmentation, letting the flares do most of the work.

I appreciate the advice I'm sure to get in advance, and I thank you for it.

I think I'm also going to crosspost this on the play.net forums -- feel free to only answer to one of the posts, of course. ;)

~the yet unnamed bard

You pull some gold-stitched sanguine suede pants over your legs.
>
Your sense of faith and conviction wanes. You are less sure of yourself.
Re: Shield v. Dodge (among other things) 12/27/2012 10:56 AM CST
Song of Mirrors gives Dodge ranks, Song of Tonis gives Dodge ranks, and Sonic Armor helps your encumbrance--and hence, Dodging--by giving you armor made of air. (I believe it's either 1/4 weight or 1/3 weight, but I do not recall off the top of my head.)
Re: Shield v. Dodge (among other things) 12/28/2012 08:43 AM CST
The sonic armor comment might be mildly misleading as it doesn't grant actual dodge ranks at all, Krakii.

Regardless, the training plan looks more than adequate. I think the telepathy lore is probably what is keeping you from getting your dodge ranks up. Additionally, those points look VERY tight. I recall being able to do a lot more with mine. I may not be remembering level 1-20, though, and be thinking more about levels 30 to 50 or so. Nothing about your training plan is exceptional nor a hindrance. Unfortunately, either due to growth placed stats or what your points are very rigid. Look to stop telepathy lore at about 18 ranks. I believe that is a fairly basic plateau and once you free up points you can pick up more ranks later. As your stats grow and your training points per level increases, you need to look at bumping the dodge up toward 1x. That'd be my first goal.

At some point in your character's life (no later than level 60 and hopefully closer to before 50) his training should look like this:
1xHP
1xspells
1xpt
1xshield
1xdodge (argue all you want for .75x but if you go less then 1x you should exceed 1x in shield use or combat maneuvers, you should be exceptional defensively or offensively, decide which)
1xCM (shield bash as a cman is going to produce superior results and benefit over feint, as feint only stances while sbash stances, potential prone/sitting, stun and death from flares)
1xair lore
1xarmor
18 or 25 ranks of telepathy lore
25 ranks of perception
25 ranks climb and swim
2xOHE

~Galenok
Re: Shield v. Dodge (among other things) 12/28/2012 08:46 AM CST
One other thing with the effectiveness of shield bash, being over 1x in shield use is a great idea. Being 1.25x in shield and .75x in dodge while using a large shield would be my initial recommendation if you choose that cman over sweep, cheapshots or feint (whichever of these 4 offensive cmans you chose get 5 ranks). cfocus is something I'd get a few ranks of later in levels.

~Galenok
Re: Shield v. Dodge (among other things) 12/28/2012 11:22 AM CST
"The sonic armor comment might be mildly misleading as it doesn't grant actual dodge ranks at all, Krakii." -- Galenok

I didn't say it did; I said that it left you less-encumbered; that state helps your dodging.

In addition to Galenok's comments about Shield Use skill, remember that EL:Air ranks can reduce the effective size of your Sonic Shield itself. So by the 50th level that he mentions, you could be using a Sonic Shield (size Tower) with the hindrance of a Medium OR using a Sonic Shield (size Large) with the hindrance of a Small. At 100th level you can use a Tower with hindrance Small.

Note that there is a difference between encumbrance and Dodging hindrance, but both of these benefits are to the good.