Returning after a long break 07/31/2012 07:41 AM CDT
I looking into getting to know gemstone again. I have been gone for 6 years. The purpose of this character is not longterm but short term - at most level 30. If I enjoy the time I will start over after I understand the mechanics better. I would like the most effective race for a Bard with the starting numbers set for level 30. I would like to be a very effective hunter with shield. Can someone suggest the best training for this?
Re: Returning after a long break 07/31/2012 09:09 AM CDT
I will give you a little background - I was a giantman volner bard. It was a poor choice. I made due till level 32. I found it difficult hunting and surviving. Anyhow, I am wanting to just get my feet wet and take a look at all the changes they have made.
Re: Returning after a long break 07/31/2012 09:17 AM CDT
I guess the obvious choice for race is an pure elf. Unless somone can argue that another race is better I am going to be a arrogant elf.
Re: Returning after a long break 07/31/2012 10:08 AM CDT
An Erithian with identical stats can actually get a (very slightly) longer Song due to racial bonuses, and you don't have the DIScipline penalty to deal with if you want to hide/ambush with your weapon. On the other hand, Song renewals will pull you out of hiding no matter what race you are, and Erithians have a harder time swinging a weapon due to their STRength penalty.

You said that you don't plan to go much past 30th level... given that 30th is where you can get Song of Sonic Disruption/1030 and start doing some serious damage as a spellcaster, I would encourage you to stick with it for a few levels just to see whether you like it or not.

And if you're going to be here that long, hang around until 35th level and Song of Tonis/1035, so you can see if you prefer being a self-hasted weapon swinger going nutso with air-flaring weapons even more than a swarm-blasting Disruptor.

I'm just sayin'.
Re: Returning after a long break 07/31/2012 10:18 AM CDT
I assumed it was too difficult for a bard with singing and cost training to hide and ambush.
Re: Returning after a long break 07/31/2012 02:14 PM CDT

Well, keep in mind for your first 30 days you can migrate skills instantly and re-allocate your stats 5 times free (naturally save 1 to leave your stats how you want them permanently)

If you are planning for a level 30 character, you'll most likely be swinging/mstriking. Sword/board or polearms would be the two cheapest though probably very possible to try out the new unarmed combat system as a new bard also. For a swinging character an elf might be a very good choice simply because of the high agility/dexterity for faster swing times without the STR penalties of a halfling/burghal.

But really, roll up the bard and mess around with a few different skill setups and folks could help you fine-tune whatever combat style you find you enjoy.

Lochiven
Re: Returning after a long break 07/31/2012 04:34 PM CDT
I highly recommend polearms as a bard, even a young one. There is nothing wrong with being a giantman bard in Voln. Actually, I play a giantman bard in Guardians of Sunfist but the new Voln powers and reboot looks awesome. I don't care for Erithians mechanically...some enjoy them. Elves are generally regarded as good for their INF bonus. Frankly, people have made dwarves and half-krolvin work as bards...if those two work, any will. Be cautious picking a smaller race because they often cannot strike critters above the shoulders and suffer from encumbrance issues. If it's your desire to play a smaller race, you might try archery. As a bard, you would not typically hide and ambush, you ambush from the open without hiding in order to target your strikes. Two skills feed into that ability, combat maneuvers and ambush. Early on, as a bard, focus on singling CM and if you really wish to try this open ambushing, you can work in some ambush skill as you can.

Krakii gets excited about being a pure bard, however it's not just a simple thing to do, and certainly not at level 30ish. I don't recommend switching to pure til level 50 or so, but to each their own. Even then, you have to tailor your hunting, find something you can hunt that functions as a mana battery, and it completely changes how you train and fight. Focus on the basics, get into the swing of things and then start making adjustments to training or plans for the future.

~Galenok
Re: Returning after a long break 08/03/2012 05:37 PM CDT
At 32 I tried to be a pure bard and it didn't work. Mana burned like crazy. My spell failure didnt help. This was an alternative I was interested in but it seems to me you need to be 40ish before you can pull it off well. Whoever it was who was helping me had a dark elf so he had the best bonus for spells.