Combat Maneuvers Advice 03/12/2012 06:49 PM CDT
I have tried to read the boards diligently as I have struggled with training. I migrated to a polearm some time ago, and I do like it mostly. I seem to struggle a little on defense, especially on bandits.

I have singled trained in maneuvers up to this point, but wanted to ask others that may know more...

How much would I hurt myself if I gave up maneuvers altogether? (thinking next fixskills)
If I really should have them is there a stopping point, or single for life?
For a polearm bard, which maneuvers are the highest priority?

Currently I chose cmovement, feint, cdefense and trip. Maybe I spread myself to thin, or did not choose best for me. I find that I rarely use feint or trip (either forget or just cannot succeed well enough).

If I did give up maneuvers and instead trained up brawling, would that help my defense at all?

I know I ask a lot of questions, but I really need some advice.
Re: Combat Maneuvers Advice 03/13/2012 01:06 PM CDT
I can understand the defensive concerns, outside spells were/are my solution to that problem, blurs, strength, blues. As far as manuevers go at 1x you are basically only half trained for combat manuevers relative to any square. You can work around this abit by using moonstone cubes, and focusing on defensive manuevers, or manuevers very few professions have access to.

I would recommend dropping cmovement spells add DS for alot less work. At 1x manuevers id look at getting dirtkick as a set up, it works from defensive, charge its far more lethal than trip, and cheapshots its the cheapest to train in and gives you fantastic variety. Also I don't swing at anything still holding a weapon, 1002 then go to town DS is alot less of an issue if you are getting hit with a fist rather than a blade.

I don't know how much dodge training you have but that is the best way to relieve your DS issues rather than training in manuevers. Losing combat manuevers all together would be a bad idea, the loss of AS alone would gimble your combat viability and require you to take more swings to bring something down, all while leaving you even more vulnerable to being manuevered by critters.

In conclusion, charge is better than trip use it instead, dirtkick is a better choice for you than feint, and cheapshots will let you have an array of RT inducing casting stopping goodness for pures.

Hope that helps,
Archales
Re: Combat Maneuvers Advice 03/14/2012 09:42 PM CDT
Chiming in...you should be at least singled in combat maneuvers. This provides maneuver defense, maneuver offense and flat AS. Dropping it would be unwise. Additionally, your idea of adding brawling will not do anything for you except be a training point sink...unless you plan on using a troll claw over a lance or awl pike.

If your DS is lacking, get some outside spells via scrolls, magic items or friendly spellcasters. Single dodge and you should be okay.

I would suggest getting charge to rank 5 before branching into other cmans. Once you have that, you can leap into something else whether that's cheapshots, dirtkick, sweep or feint. Personally, I didn't find any of those necessary (but did have sweep rank 5, too). If charge wasn't successful stancing or stunning a critter, 1102 and 1105 work nicely. I went with 2 ranks of cmove and then into side by side for the AS boost when hunting grouped. Not a lot is going to keep you safe from a bandit using a maneuver on you, but you can mitigate it some by always running 402 during bandit tasks. That will keep you out of traps, for the most part. Not sure if the cman they use is subdue or subdual strike. Think it is sstrike. Cdefense just doesn't help enough to warrant sinking more cman points into it. Best results come from being an offensive force as a polearm using bard. Lean in the direction and get those extra spells.

~Galenok