Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 11:36 AM CST
Hey Everyone!

You can now claim the second half of your goodie bag which includes the scripted item with the giftbox command.

giftbox

Usage:
GIFTBOX {OPTION}

Options:
SIMUCON17 - Claims your Simucon Giftbag if unclaimed from 2017.

Upon first use, you'll get your first prize if you haven't claimed it.
Upon second use, you'll get your scripted item if you haven't claimed it.

Upon third use, you may or may not blow up, or nothing will happen.

Retser, ASGM
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 12:52 PM CST
I cannot believe the scripted item is essentially the same thing as last year. I get that you all were left holding the bag after whatever GM left that was in charge of it and whatever scripted item they had come up with didn't pass inspection so you had to come up with something completely different, but this is ridiculous. You can have it back if you want. Can I get an additional violet RPA orb instead?
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 12:59 PM CST
I can't believe it's virtually the same item as last time. We waited this long and went through this much back-and-forth to get this??? I guess I'll stuff it in my locker along with the other one that's in there, never to be used.
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 01:35 PM CST
So, I haven't redeemed mine yet, but what I'm hearing from multiple sources this morning is that this year's 'we're delayed, and we're writing something new' scripted item has turned out to be a color swap on last year's bird charm. Is this the case?

If so, this seems an unfortunate choice. If whatever was being worked on was scrapped due to time considerations, it might have been a little less poking-the-bear to have chosen an existing scripted item that wasn't a duplicate of last year's item. :/

---
Walsor Gryhm says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 16 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 01:47 PM CST
Here it is: You remove a large-eyed purple dove charm from in your large sack.

Analyze charm - You analyze your purple dove charm and sense that the item is largely free from merchant alteration restrictions, but the creator has stated that "The item has restrictions on changing the noun."

The creator has also provided the following information:

You could probably get a large-eyed purple dove charm altered to have some other kind of bird but please remember that the noun must stay a charm, and will always be tiny in size.

PET it to make it nap, and TAP it to wake it up.
If you are feeling so inclined, SCRATCH the charm, it won't complain.
WHISPER to the charm to have it deliver a message to someone else.

You get no sense of whether or not the charm may be further lightened.
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 01:53 PM CST
>Here it is: You remove a large-eyed purple dove charm from in your large sack.

Thanks for the data. Last year's was 'a cloisonne turtle dove charm', same analyze.

---
Walsor Gryhm says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 16 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 05:38 PM CST

>>>Here it is: You remove a large-eyed purple dove charm from in your large sack.

I think it's great. Now all I need to do is turn it into a yellow canary, and have it go through the canary heart attack routine after delivering a message.

too much?

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 06:03 PM CST
A re-skin of last years' item? Wow.

A) That's sad and doesn't make me excited at all like the prior year items have. I look forward to seeing something new come out with these, or something old brought around again. This is just re-releasing SimuCon scripted items, can I get a re-skinned version of one of the others instead? I'll take a weather charm.

B) It's lazy, I understand that the process has been drawing itself out but to throw up your hands and release the same item as last year with a different look to it? Are we playing WoW now?

C) Are we now going to be getting different skins of the dove charm from now on in the SimuCon bag as our scripted item?

Speaking in Faendryl, Jahosk says, "You will now be known as Blade Durakar, the Palestra."
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 06:05 PM CST
Just an FYI here.

The original GM who was going to do the scripted item couldn't do it to issues beyond their control.

I offered to do it and take over distribution of the other items. GM Retser stepped up and helped big time with that distribution.

People were upset at the delay, which wasn't my fault, but I was the target. I have received serious complaints about the tardiness of the scripted item. That's fine, but remember, I was intending to help out.

The DEV team started taking some heat about the delay, which also wasnt their fault. Pointing that out garnered me more complaints.

Yesterday, I told Wyrom that I had lost all drive to finish the item this year. I'll continue the work for use next year, assuming an item is needed then. Otherwise the script will be used elsewhere.

To those that have emailed me about not being able to claim the giftbox scripted item, you have all guessed correctly at the reasoning, and I'll try to get to you tonight or tomorrow.

ASGM Sleken
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 06:17 PM CST

so not one to complain or ever had the best ideas but i just had i think a good idea

instead of some/most of us getting a second message bird , i would have like the choice of the bird or a auction block ( since we recycling old items ) . Or even better be given the unlock on the auction block if we have one from 2015 , I have been after the unlock on that auction block since i got it , i really want my own raffle table

Hoodie
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 06:29 PM CST
Sleken, I'm going to quote your response in individual lines for my own response...

So that my main question doesn't get lost, I'm going to take it out of order and ask it first. And I think we really deserve a direct answer to this question...

<<Yesterday, I told Wyrom that I had lost all drive to finish the item this year. I'll continue the work for use next year, assuming an item is needed then. Otherwise the script will be used elsewhere.>>
Then who made the decision just to recycle last year's scripted item? All of us paid money for the goodie bag and none of us deserves just to all of a sudden get last year's scripted item because you lost the drive to finish the item. That was a horrible decision and I demand either a partial refund or to have some other item offered to me as a replacement. I will not accept that because you gave up on it last minute that the scripted item was simply replaced by last years.

Regarding your other comments...

<<The original GM who was going to do the scripted item couldn't do it to issues beyond their control.>>
I believe this is more or less what we understood when there was an initial delay with the scripted item.

<<People were upset at the delay, which wasn't my fault, but I was the target. I have received serious complaints about the tardiness of the scripted item. That's fine, but remember, I was intending to help out.>>
You ended up being the face of the scripted item once you stepped in. None of us really know what went on behind the scenes, but I'll definitely choose to believe you were trying to help and really had nothing to do with the delay. I certainly didn't complain about you and doubt you deserved any criticism for it.

<<The DEV team started taking some heat about the delay, which also wasnt their fault. Pointing that out garnered me more complaints.>>
Noble, but someone from DEV could have stood up for themselves if they wanted. Doing so just garnered you more criticism that probably wasn't warranted.
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 07:08 PM CST
This is a pretty crappy result.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 07:15 PM CST
Echoing disappointments
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 07:21 PM CST
<<Noble, but someone from DEV could have stood up for themselves if they wanted. Doing so just garnered you more criticism that probably wasn't warranted.>>

Yes, they could have. They didn't have to. And there is no probably about it.

<<Then who made the decision just to recycle last year's scripted item? All of us paid money for the goodie bag and none of us deserves just to all of a sudden get last year's scripted item because you lost the drive to finish the item.>>

You would have to ask Wyrom. And I paid too. That doesn't mean anything, but I thought I'd throw it in to come clean.

ASGM Sleken
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 07:46 PM CST
For what it's worth, I appreciate your response and for you being open with what you said. When I asked the question about who made the decision to just recycle last year's scripted item, that was definitely directed at Wyrom and I expect him or whomever made that decision to respond.
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 08:08 PM CST
In case it wasn't clear, I'm making a follow up post...

Wyrom, I am dissatisfied with the way this was handled. I am requesting a partial refund of the amount I paid for the goodie bag or to be offered an alternative item in place of the recycled scripted item. If you're simply recycling items, I'll accept an offer of the choice of any one of the scripted items that has been offered for the Indiegogo Simucon campaigns over the last 10 years.

I'd also request to know who made the decision to simply recycle last year's scripted item for this year.
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 09:28 PM CST
This was a decision made by those who worked on SimuCon that they thought was a good offer. The dove, while was something done last year, was a new feature to the message bird script.

We'll likely allow a grace period to change the bird type into another form or allow you to create an additional RPA out of it. That will need to happen sometime after tomorrow though.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 09:46 PM CST
That's an acceptable option to me and I appreciate that it's being offered. I gotta say though, terrible decision by the people who worked on Simucon to just default to offering that as the scripted item. I'm certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I would have hoped they would have had more anticipation to the potential negative reactions to that decision.
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 10:06 PM CST
We still view the message charm as a pretty cool item. People have alts that might have liked a second one and not everyone who bought a Goodie Bag this year went last year, so in hindsight it should have been reviewed a bit more. The dove was new as of last year. I know these have been altered into other bird types, but there are some very slight variations in messaging now depending on the bird type. I don't know how much people really care about that aspect of the item though.

Either way, we'll get some options for everyone to choose from. I'll try to figure out a time I can get it in before it languishes.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 10:54 PM CST
I'll throw out some older scripts that could be pretty cool for folks.

Anfelt weapon care case
Talking Parrot
Shade Skink
Pet Lizard (doubtful on this one, though I would enjoy one)

Speaking in Faendryl, Jahosk says, "You will now be known as Blade Durakar, the Palestra."
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/19/2017 11:10 PM CST
I think it would have been infinitely more positive if ANY scripted item other than last years message bird would have been used for the scripted item this year. I'm assuming that in previous years, no scripted item has been recycled for subsequent Simucon Indiegogo campaigns. As not recycling a previous script more or less sets the precedent, it seems like it would have been a good idea not to try that now. Especially given the negative feedback that the December pay event is currently getting. Not saying that everyone has been negative in their feedback, but its certainly been noted.

The option to switch it for a 4x (violet) RPA orb is acceptable to me. It would also be nice, as per Chulak's post, if we were given the option of several different scripted items to choose from. That could certainly generate some good will after what has been a very lackluster offering of the goodie bag and pay event for December.
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/20/2017 02:35 AM CST
I'd just like to point out to the people requesting refunds...

For $30 you received, 3 tokens, an RPA orb and the bird charm.

The permanence token is currently selling for 10m, as are the RPA orbs. So at a minimum you received 20m in value for your $30 expense.

While I too, am disappointed that it took 4 months just to recycle a previous item, the value you received is far more than the cost.

If anyone is to blame for where we ended up, it would be specific people whose complaints were over the top and out of line.

Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/20/2017 03:39 AM CST
I agree, the bag purchase was (and has been) a great deal.

Yes, the delay was long and a copy of a very recent item was disappointing (for those that participated last year anyway though some may be thrilled for a first time chance and crave more, more, More birdies), but the contents had plenty of value and obviously even more so for those that actually attended and ate/drank/other.

I'll also add the 100 vouchers to that list (and a pending title?) and the flexibility at alternatives for the scripted item portion.

Can we go back to holiday cheer yet? :(
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/20/2017 04:38 AM CST

>>The permanence token is currently selling for 10m, as are the RPA orbs.

sheesh ... who was it that thought hoarding small statues was bad?

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/20/2017 07:23 AM CST
Veythorne: I'd just like to point out to the people requesting refunds...For $30 you received, 3 tokens, an RPA orb and the bird charm. The permanence token is currently selling for 10m, as are the RPA orbs. So at a minimum you received 20m in value for your $30 expense. While I too, am disappointed that it took 4 months just to recycle a previous item, the value you received is far more than the cost. If anyone is to blame for where we ended up, it would be specific people whose complaints were over the top and out of line.

For the record, you can look back at my posts and see that I only ever requested a "partial" refund. This was never about the value received. The understanding when the item was purchased was that it would contain a scripted item unique to this year's goodie bag, a "special Simucon 2017 scripted item" is what is listed on the Indiegogo site: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/simucon-2017#/

When something you buy ends up being different than what was advertised, especially one of the main features about that item, I think requesting a refund is well within reason to ask for. But as I received the other items and they were as advertised, I only ever asked for a partial refund. Plus, I thought it was a good idea to at least give Simu the option as to whether they wanted to do a partial refund or replace the recycled 2016 scripted item with something else.

And I categorically disagree with your statement "If anyone is to blame for where we ended up, it would be specific people whose complaints were over the top and out of line." I have no specific knowledge of who you're referring to or the exact complaints. While I'm sure some of the complaints may have been harsh, it was always things happening on Simu's end that caused us to get to where we are. There's any number of things Simu could have done differently. I'm not sure when the coding for the scripted item started, but if it didn't start by January of 2017, it was started too late, especially given their track record of late with the issues they've been having with ittems being QC'd correctly. If Sleken was burnt out with trying to work on the scripted item AND having people complain to/about him, he could have asked for more help. Either someone could have stepped in to help him code, or someone could have stepped in to be the face of the project and remove him from the line of fire. And the DEV team just deciding to re-release last year's scripted item was just a poor decision on their part and had nothing at all to do with these over the top complaints you mention.
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/20/2017 07:37 AM CST
We still view the message charm as a pretty cool item. People have alts that might have liked a second one and not everyone who bought a Goodie Bag this year went last year, so in hindsight it should have been reviewed a bit more. The dove was new as of last year. I know these have been altered into other bird types, but there are some very slight variations in messaging now depending on the bird type. I don't know how much people really care about that aspect of the item though.
Either way, we'll get some options for everyone to choose from. I'll try to figure out a time I can get it in before it languishes.
Wyrom, PM

I agree the message charm is a pretty cool item. Although I didn't end up keeping mine because my character wasn't going to get as much use out of it as someone else and I thought it should go to someone who would use it more than me, I was completely satisfied with it. And you're right, there are definitely people out there who might one want for an alt or who didn't participate last year. In that regard, using last year's scripted item was a nice option. But for those of us who didn't just want another one, it would have been nice to have been given an option, that's all.

I can't speak for anyone else, but if you or any other GM would have just said "Hey guys, sorry for the delay but things again have just completely fallen through with the scripted item and we aren't able to deliver a completely new item this year. Instead of making you all wait any longer, we're going to give you the option of another RPA orb or a choice of any one of the scripted items from the past x number of years", I would have been completely fine with that. Listen, stuff happened that was beyond any one person's specific control. But in that case, I think you be up front about about everything that happened and give your customers options. When someone arbitrarily decides what is best for the customer, there's going to be some backlash.
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/20/2017 07:45 AM CST
<<And the DEV team just deciding to re-release last year's scripted item was just a poor decision on their part and had nothing at all to do with these over the top complaints you mention.>>

Incorrect. I've posted why it is incorrect somewhere.

ASGM Sleken
Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/20/2017 07:54 AM CST
<<And the DEV team just deciding to re-release last year's scripted item was just a poor decision on their part and had nothing at all to do with these over the top complaints you mention.>>
Incorrect. I've posted why it is incorrect somewhere.
ASGM Sleken

You're right. That's my bad. I meant SimuCon team, not DEV team. I apologize I should have gone back and re-read Wyrom's post when he said who it was...
This was a decision made by those who worked on SimuCon that they thought was a good offer...
Wyrom, PM

Re: Goodie Bag - Scripted Item 12/20/2017 08:04 PM CST
Cease and desist the attacks.

ASGM Sleken