SGE and Win7 x64 02/13/2011 08:06 PM CST
Hey guys,

Fresh install of Windows 7 x64 and every time I try to launch the desktop game entry from the taskbar I get 2 error messages:

1. Windows cannot find 'SGE.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

followed immediately by:

2. While attempting to run C:\Program Files\SIMU\SGE\SGE.exe ShellExecute failed with code 2

Any idea? Setting SGE.exe to run as admin and Win XP didn't help.
Re: SGE and Win7 x64 02/13/2011 08:37 PM CST
>Any idea? Setting SGE.exe to run as admin and Win XP didn't help.

Had this same problem. Looked at it for a while, but never found a fix. My solution was to create a shortcut to the SGE in my quick-start menu, and take it out of my startup list. So I just click the icon on the left (instead of the right) and it starts up a new SGE when I need it. Almost the same functionality.

- Greminty
Re: SGE and Win7 x64 02/14/2011 07:09 AM CST
Did you get that goofy "didn't install properly, let me do it because I'm smarter than your average OS" message?

If so, remove it, and install it to default. Ignore the message. All should be good.

Doug
Re: SGE and Win7 x64 02/14/2011 08:43 AM CST
Doug,

Come to think of it, I may have. I've tried reinstalling it several times and in several locations (after using the OS to uninstall it). What do you mean by "default"?

Thanks!
Re: SGE and Win7 x64 02/14/2011 09:21 AM CST
I'm a bit fuzzy on the actual names used for the paths, but --

In its current implementation, I believe the SGE installs into the user \ documents directory.

I believe the SF front-end installs to the Program Files (x86) directory.

If those two locations are used, at least in my implementation, the SGE allows entry into the game via SF. I haven't tested with the Wizard FE.

A note of caution: Third party programs such as Lich or PsiNet may not play well in this environment. I'm not sure about PsiNet, but I believe Lich comes with its own game entrance script that properly starts Lich and performs the role of the SGE. So you may opt, if using Lich, to go that route rather than worrying about SGE.

Doug