Question about Commune and failures 04/04/2017 10:35 PM CDT

After a long sleep, I'm wanting to commune to Lorminstra after recently Converting and have a very simple ceremony. How would you handle the commune "failing", if it does? This happened the first time and she decided that it was not the right time, but if it happens again, I'm curious about how I should handle it, or how you would handle it. Commune again at a later time? Or finish the ceremony since it's really just RP for myself, anyways?

(I don't particularly care about an IC/RP response, but wasn't prepared for a failure, forgetting that could happen.)

~Giantkin servant of Lorminstra, Proud member of Helden Hall~
Re: Question about Commune and failures 04/05/2017 04:53 AM CDT
<How would you handle the commune "failing", if it does?>

Stay in character and react however your cleric would.

It's easy to react to a success when utilizing mechanics in RP because no one really wants to admit it could fail even if they know the odds. It's important to always be prepared to react to anything that might happen in an RP scenario, though. Even if you're not using mechanical props, other players won't always react to your actions how you anticipate.

In the case of a commune, there are a number of reasons a character blame for not betting a response:

-The timing wasn't right for whatever IC reason
-What I was communing about wasn't important enough to warrant such a powerful being's attention
-I haven't been faithful enough to be rewarded with a response
-I've offended the deity in some way (perhaps something to do with the ceremony or maybe something that happened prior to it)
-My ceremony/spell wasn't powerful enough to get the attention of the deity
-I have no idea why my deity didn't respond

The response to the failure will depend heavily on why the character thought it failed as well as their personality. In your character's case, maybe they have doubts they chose the right deity to devote their life to, resolve to devote them self more heavily to pleasing her, or decide they've honored Lorminstra and that's all that was important.

My cleric of Aeia did a commune a few months ago that didn't receive a response. His commune was to thank Aeia for the many blessings that she's bestowed on the Rest and reaffirm the town's devotion to her. When there was no obvious response, he thanked those that attended for helping to honor the deity and assured them that their message had been heard and her blessings would continue to benefit the Rest.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Question about Commune and failures 04/05/2017 04:01 PM CDT

Thank you for the very thoughtful reply! I appreciate it a lot, and it gives me a direction to go.

I'm actually doing the ceremony privately, so perhaps in the end it's really just for me. Last time I wasn't converted (I was going to convert during the ceremony), and I may not have used it properly -- I cast 330 at a Lorminstra statue I have. Should I instead do "commune Lorminstra"?

I'll be ready for any failure next time as well. Perhaps I will do it until I succeed -- it's important to her that she reconnects with the Goddess, she feels it her life's mission.

~Giantkin servant of Lorminstra, Proud member of Helden Hall~
Re: Question about Commune and failures 04/05/2017 04:06 PM CDT

>I cast 330 at a Lorminstra statue I have. Should I instead do "commune Lorminstra"?

usage as well as additional guidance is here: https://gswiki.play.net/Prayer_of_Communion_(330)