Slap Hands 05/09/2018 11:47 AM CDT

This is, so far, my least favorite guild task, because I can’t figure out what the footpads are going to do. Sometimes it looks like I’ve found a pattern in their behavior, but then they switch on me and I suddenly don’t know what they
will do next.

Also, subdue rarely works for my rogue. I’m using OHE weapons for this because my rogue is not trained in blunts (trust me, I tried OHB weapons for subdue and my progress rate then was even worse than it is with LFM). He is good at hiding and ambushing and frequently hits eyes, legs or chests, stunning opponents if he doesn’t kill them outright. But this skill doesn’t seem to translate with subdue. Again, I don’t know why. Full offensive with 100 in strength, dexterity and agility should work, but most of the time it doesn’t. Usually the subdue-able creatures are just annoyed.
Re: Slap Hands 05/09/2018 12:42 PM CDT
<Also, subdue rarely works for my rogue. I’m using OHE weapons for this because my rogue is not trained in blunts (trust me, I tried OHB weapons for subdue and my progress rate then was even worse than it is with LFM). He is good at hiding and ambushing and frequently hits eyes, legs or chests, stunning opponents if he doesn’t kill them outright. But this skill doesn’t seem to translate with subdue. Again, I don’t know why. Full offensive with 100 in strength, dexterity and agility should work, but most of the time it doesn’t. Usually the subdue-able creatures are just annoyed.>

Is your guild stance (GLD STANCE) set to offensive or just the regular stance?

It's easily overlooked, so it's something I know I'd forget about if I changed it to help someone train or something.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Slap Hands 05/09/2018 01:23 PM CDT
Use a blackjack for subdue (and switch to your normal weapon for ambushing).
Stunning it first also helps.
Pick on something without bonuses against subdue too (there are a lot of bonuses that critters get against subdue, I've seen far more negative mods to it than anything else, so its quite important to find a target without them when you start practising)
Subdue is also intrinsically hard compared to other skills (e.g. you are as good as landing a normal CMan with just one rank in it as you are at landing a subdue when mastered)
Re: Slap Hands 05/09/2018 03:38 PM CDT
>Is your guild stance (GLD STANCE) set to offensive or just the regular stance?

My guild stance is perpetually set to offensive. No point in using less than 100% of my skills, right? Defensive is only useful when someone is trying to knock me over for Guild Night.
Re: Slap Hands 05/09/2018 03:43 PM CDT
>Use a blackjack for subdue (and switch to your normal weapon for ambushing).

Where do you get blackjacks? (And I mentioned that I'm not trained in blunts, right?)

>Stunning it first also helps.

Oh, so that's true and not just something I was hoping? Okay.

>Pick on something without bonuses against subdue too (there are a lot of bonuses that critters get against subdue, I've seen far more negative mods to it than anything else, so its quite important to find a target without them when you start practising)

How do you know what has bonuses and what doesn't?

>Subdue is also intrinsically hard compared to other skills (e.g. you are as good as landing a normal CMan with just one rank in it as you are at landing a subdue when mastered)

Oh. So should I just quit training in that and save up CMANs instead? I think I'd get better faster.
Re: Slap Hands 05/09/2018 04:17 PM CDT
<Where do you get blackjacks? (And I mentioned that I'm not trained in blunts, right?)>

Not sure where they can be bought if they're not in a town weapon shop.... but blackjacks are brawling weapons.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Slap Hands 05/09/2018 05:18 PM CDT
Pretty much every CMan/guild skill gets a bonus of 10 against a stunned target. If you can get an immobilisation that becomes +30.

Watch the bonus/penalty to see whether you are picking on something thats good against subdue. I've seen it worse than -100 and as high as +60 (no penalties, +30 for blackjack and another +30 for immobilised target), its a whole lot easier to get reps on a 60 bonus than a -100 penalty.

I think my blackjack came from some festival via a player shop, some mist harbor weapon carts have them as does Island Arms. I'm not sure where outside Mist Harbor they are to be found.

I like to have subdue for rogue RP, but I can't think of a critter that isn't easier to kill than subdue. If you don't want it for RP reasons, I'd do something else instead.
Re: Slap Hands 05/09/2018 05:27 PM CDT
>Not sure where they can be bought if they're not in a town weapon shop.... but blackjacks are brawling weapons.

Oh! Well, my rogue's not trained in brawling, either.

Blackjacks seem to be sold on a frost-covered rhimar cart in Mist Harbor during the winter, in Island Arms in Mist Harbor, and in Solhaven Arms.
Re: Slap Hands 05/09/2018 11:18 PM CDT
You can get a 0X blackjack in Solhaven. Note that you don't have to be trained in brawling to use a blackjack with the subdue maneuver.

That having been said, Subdue is a seriously crappy maneuver. Half the older critters are totally immune to it. I mastered it anyway because I wanted the Grandmaster title, but I never use it in actual combat. As far as guild skills are concerned, Sweep is my go to, and far more useful (along with the non-guild Feint and Disarm CMan skills).
Re: Slap Hands 05/10/2018 07:31 AM CDT
>You can get a 0X blackjack in Solhaven. Note that you don't have to be trained in brawling to use a blackjack with the subdue maneuver.

You might run into problems with critters that are immune to normal weapons if you use a 0x blackjack. Cmans sometimes don't follow the same rule as swinging but sometimes they do.
Re: Slap Hands 05/10/2018 08:19 PM CDT
Oh; true enough, but I have a capped wizard, and solved the problem easily by taking my blackjack up to 4x. I suspect that e-blading it would serve the purpose equally well.
Re: Slap Hands 05/13/2018 05:30 PM CDT
Just as confirmation:

>inspect my sap
You carefully inspect your ora-filled sap.

After a careful inspection you determine that a heavy ora-filled sap requires skill in brawling to use effectively. It appears to be a modified blackjack.

You remember that you registered this item between five and six years ago.

It looks like this item has been mainly crafted out of ora.

-- Robert

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: Slap Hands 05/13/2018 05:34 PM CDT
I didn't really enjoy playing slaphands that much either. I run the following Wizard FE script each time I go into a room with a master. Sometimes I win. Sometimes I lose. Eventually it gets the job done so you can move on to more interesting tasks.

-- Robert

#Thieves Guild Practice - Slaphands

Start:

put STOP

pause 10

put STAND

pause 1

put SLAP

pause 10

put STAND

pause 1

put DUCK

pause 10

put STAND

pause 1

put STOP

pause 10

put STAND

pause 1

put SLAP

pause 10

put STAND

pause 1
goto Start

-- Robert

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.