Windows 08/10/2016 11:59 AM CDT
Could we PLEASE either remove the wait to wash windows or get enough windows put in every guild to do all the reps required for a task?

There's little worse then getting on a roll working on a skill just to have to find something else to do for ten minutes (usually switching over to my browser and poking around the WEB) because there aren't enough windows in the guild to get the last 1-3 reps.

Starchitin (not so silently cursing sadistic GMs of yesteryear)

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Windows 08/10/2016 12:11 PM CDT
I don't see why it shouldn't go (I think its a relic of the crush when the guild first opened and hundreds of rogues were trying to wash windows at the same time)

Meanwhile, there are plenty of other guilds to switch to for extra windows (unless you are in Zul/RR/Teras and not premium its virtually instantaneous to use a ring or your premium transporter to zip to a fresh set of windows).
Re: Windows 08/10/2016 12:18 PM CDT
<unless you are in Zul/RR/Teras>

The only time I get around to working on guild skills since mastering Lock Mastery is when I head back to RR a few days early for an event. The rest of the time, there are far more interesting things to do. Eventually though (read: in 10 + years) I'll have dealt with the monotony and random dumb luck enough to get Stun Maneuvers mastered as well.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Windows 08/15/2016 07:47 AM CDT
I agree! Please get rid of the wait time :)
Re: Windows 08/15/2016 10:01 AM CDT
Thanks to Guild Night and guild boosts, guild work is already the easiest it's ever been by a longshot. The windows/flowers/hedges/floors/suits of armor/crucibles/assemblies are fine. They're already the easiest task you can get short of "listen to a master talk" and "grind our ingredients" and can still be faster than both of those. If you're in RR/Teras, you can get access to a second guild by going Premium, or you can spend 10 minutes hunting/socializing/working on another guild skill/playing another character.

If we're going to complain about guild skills being too tedious, we should save it for the ones that are actually bad: speed reps, dagger game audience reps, distilling water, getting 13 sweeping/raking reps or 8 lockpicking contests in a single task, everything about Alchemy, ...

At least with windows, you can go do something else in the meantime. Which, I believe, is the entire design intent.
Re: Windows 09/07/2016 09:14 AM CDT
>If we're going to complain about guild skills being too tedious, we should save it for the ones that are actually bad: speed reps, dagger game audience reps, distilling water, getting 13 sweeping/raking reps or 8 lockpicking contests in a single task, everything about Alchemy, ...

I was having fun with Lock Mastery. I hit rank 10 and then came into a new task....lock picking contest. Having only heard (briefly) about them and having never done one, it sounded kind of entertaining.

I was tasked with 7 reps on this lock picking contest task...7!

I made it through the first try and I got my rear handed to me. Every box had a trap and all the locks were pretty low, my score was awful.
I barely lost on the second attempt and then I came out a winner on the third attempt, but only by a few hundred points.
Out of these three reps it took me nearly 20 minutes to get through and I only won 1 of them, I still had 6 to win.

I outright refuse to do the last 6 reps I need to complete this task. The number of reps required for this task is downright atrocious. 2 or 3 reps at most for the lock picking contest is all one should be forced to do. Roughly 15-20 minutes to complete the task isn't all that bad. However, spending 45+ minutes just tediously trying to win 6 or more reps is disgusting.

I know I can turn in the task and get another in its place, but I don't want to be further punished by being forced to do more of a newer task or getting rewarded fewer points (or whatever the punishment is for swapping tasks - I just don't remember off hand since it has been a long time since I last swapped tasks).

I'll eventually get stuck with another pick contest and eventually get screwed by needing 6, 7 or maybe even 8 reps to complete the task.

I've pretty much stopped playing my rogue because of this. It may seem kind of a minor reason to some, but I was enjoying working on Lock Mastery until this stupid lock picking contest task came into my lap. 7 reps to complete it....fricking joke. I used to be disgusted by the audience reps for your ptrick, but those tasks are heavenly when compared to lock picking contests. I'm saddened that my time with my rogue has come to almost a complete stop and I feel bad for anyone else that has had to suffer through it and I commend you for sticking with it. I, however, will not. The whole spiel about how guild skills give such a boost to your abilities and hard work is required to learn them, blah, blah, blah....you can keep that to yourself. Hard work is one thing, but over tedious tasks that eat up large chunks of your playing time and force you to hide in a room to get a few points....not worth it.

I'm pleading with NIR that they go through and look at some of these tasks and adjust down max number of reps required to complete them. I'm not asking for an overhaul of the system, just adjustments so folks aren't forced to swap out tasks for something else because of the excess time some take or spend countless hours stuck doing overly tedious tasks for a few points.

-Drumpel
Re: Windows 09/07/2016 12:51 PM CDT
The secret to the lockpicking contests is to not worry about how many points you get per box and just bulldoze through them as fast as possible without setting off any traps. Occasionally you'll be beaten in spite of the bonus for finishing first, but that should be rare. They can get tedious, but I preferred them over all the partner/teaching reps you have to do for most of the other guild skills cause I could just knock them out.

I included the Stormfront script I wrote to get through it at the bottom of this post (should work in the wizard too). Just need to replace the name "jafar" with the name of one of the trainers in the town you're in (it's in two places). It's prolly not as eloquent as it could be, but it was just ment to get through it as fast as possible. You may have to pick up the lockpick and give another attempt to a box or two at the end of it, it will just move to the next box whether you fumble the lock or click it.

Also, monitor the script and be ready to take over cause SF scripts will occasionally try to perform the next action while there's still a second or two of RT and get hung up.

Starchitin

Start:
put ask jafar about training in lock mastery
goto Start2

Start2:
waitfor As an apprentice goes
put nod jafar
goto Disarm1

Disarm1:
put disarm box
match Pick1 You discover no traps.
match Pick1 Having discovered
match Disarm1 It looks like
matchwait

Pick1:
put get vaa loc
wait
put pick box
wait
goto Disarm2

Disarm2:
put put loc on tab
wait
put disarm other box
match Pick2 You discover no traps.
match Pick2 Having discovered
match Disarm2 It looks like
matchwait

Pick2:
put get vaa loc
wait
put pick other box
wait
goto Disarm3

Disarm3:
put put loc on tab
wait
put disarm third box
match Pick3 You discover no traps.
match Pick3 Having discovered
match Disarm3 It looks like
matchwait

Pick3:
put get vaa loc
wait
put pick third box
wait
goto Disarm4

Disarm4:
put put loc on tab
wait
put disarm fourth box
match Pick4 You discover no traps.
match Pick4 Having discovered
match Disarm4 It looks like
matchwait

Pick4:
put get vaa loc
wait
put pick fourth box
wait
goto Disarm5

Disarm5:
put put loc on tab
wait
put disarm fifth box
match Pick5 You discover no traps.
match Pick5 Having discovered
match Disarm5 It looks like
matchwait

Pick5:
put get vaa loc
wait
put pick fifth box
wait
put put loc on tab
Re: Windows 09/07/2016 01:33 PM CDT
You are really going to hate trap components then....

As starchitin said the key is going through them fast by using your best pick.
Re: Windows 09/08/2016 04:03 AM CDT
Picking contests are a contest of speed and skill, but mostly speed. The footpads aren't great at either and can normally be crushed if you don't waste time.

You have to take the time element seriously, and that means macros if you want to seriously crush the footpads. You do not want to be typing anything except single keystrokes when not in RT. I had F1-F5 for disarming. Check the state of play and select the appropriate pick for it while in RT from the last disarm, F6-F10 for picking, F11 for switching to vaalin if called for on repeat attempts.

Always vaalin should win 90%, but its possible to do rather better, particularly once your RT comes down at higher ranks. (I was on a winning streak of about 300 when I mastered)

Slap hands I never quite got the hang of though.
Re: Windows 09/08/2016 04:45 PM CDT
Oddly, as a player I found that the lockpicking contest to be rather easy. As others have said, you might need to change your approach to it. When I have these I usually can beat the master with near 100% certainty. The only times it is even close is when I happen to have a run of poor attempts (traps or lock) that consume too much time, or the master has a bit of luck in him and gets maximized points.

The approach I use (and yes I have a script to do this!) is to check each box for traps first, and disarm it if it has one. Thus, DISARM FIRST BOX, DISARM SECOND BOX, etc. then I grab the golvern pick and pick each in order.

The real key here is to choose the right lockpick for the level of the contest. If you can use a lower mod lockpick without failing (too often) on the pick attempts you should have no trouble beating the masters. In most cases, I spend maybe 2-3 minutes to complete all 5 boxes and spend the next 2+ minutes waiting for the master to finally give up.

Now do not get me started with slap hands... that is pure evil! Many a times I wanted to smash my keyboard.

Drumpel, I know that this may come off sounding condescending, but I am truly trying to help you enjoy this task, or at least not to be so frustrated with it.

~Contemplar~
Re: Windows 09/08/2016 08:06 PM CDT
I don't find lockpicking contests hard, just very very tedious.

>In most cases, I spend maybe 2-3 minutes to complete all 5 boxes and spend the next 2+ minutes waiting for the master to finally give up.

So for a 9 contest task, you'll spend about 45 minutes total, nearly half of which is sitting around doing nothing for indeterminate times.

>Now do not get me started with slap hands... that is pure evil! Many a times I wanted to smash my keyboard.

This I can agree with. Especially when you're tied 4-4 and "draw" three straight times before losing.

Fyonn's player
Re: Windows 09/08/2016 08:08 PM CDT
Like I said, I don't mind it being 2 or 3 reps for the picking contest, but when you have 6+ to do, that's easily 30-45 minutes of being forced to sit with a master to get a small handful of points (longer if you happen to fail any attempts). 10-15 minutes for handling a task is okay with me, even with the tediousness of the lock picking contest. I could survive that every now and then.

I appreciate folks offering advice, but I'm not working on setting up numerous macros or running a script to do a guild task. If I enjoyed using scripts I'd make use of Lich, but whenever I try it it causes awful lag in Stormfront. I've tried it on multiple computers and from several different locations with different internet speeds and I still get bad lag. I don't make use of Lich and my only scripts are travel scripts between towns and a fairly simply skinning script that I wrote. Everything else I type out.

It's not the task itself that's off putting, it's the god awful number of reps you're forced to do that make the task take way to long to complete.

Tasked with picking tough boxes or tasked to finding a specific room to pick tough boxes, even when you have 6 or 7 to get...that doesn't bother me. It can take me 3 or 4 hunts sometimes to gather enough boxes to do the task, but I'm not stuck sitting in one spot hoping I don't get screwed with a trap on every box or blowing through all 5 boxes quickly, just to twiddle my thumbs for the next 2-3 minutes waiting for the master to finish. I'm out and about, hunting (earning exp and silver), encountering the random person that may want to chat for a few minutes while I'm picking or I happen upon an event while walking through town.

Even the stupid idea of audience reps for picking boxes isn't tough - it's just a stupid idea - it doesn't bother me having to do the task. Disarm the boxes in a non-populated area and go pick in front of people. It may take 2 or 3 hunts to get enough boxes, but I'm still okay with that since I'm not stuck in one room being forced to hide away from the world.

I choose to lock myself into a blacksmith stall to learn forging. I knew what it meant. Isolation. I could have simply avoided doing it, but I choose to do it. I don't want to be forced to sit 30+ minutes trying to do a task in a room with a NPC master. Any other task I've ever done with a master with warrior guild tasks or other rogue guild tasks don't exceed 10 minutes, most are done in under 5...maybe there are some that take more than 5-10 minutes, but I haven't come across them yet.

The number of reps needs to be adjusted for some of these tasks. 2-3 picking contests reps for one task is good. Not 6 or 7 or 8.

-Drumpel
Re: Windows 09/09/2016 04:48 AM CDT
You don't have to do them all at once. If you only want to do 2 at a time, do 2 at a time.
Re: Windows 09/09/2016 01:50 PM CDT
It can get a bit tedious doing the contests and I wouldn't have anything against the cap on reps being lowered (heck, already I mastered it, would just mean the gnome would get to rag on rogues going through it about how easy they have it).... but I was just happy I never saw "go find another rogue to show you some of the tricks they've learned about picking locks" during LM. The whole reason LM and stun maneuvers are the only guild skills I have more then 10 ranks in is cause I HATE badgering folk to help get reps (assuming I can find them in the first place).

Not to mention how annoying it would get having folk trying to get you to help them with LM when you're picking for a customer... it's bad enough folk already do that with sweep/etc.

Starchitin