Why am I not getting a rep for this? 04/13/2016 11:47 AM CDT
I finally find a box with a needle trap, but I didn't get a rep for the disarm. Why? I have lmas disarm on.

>detect box
You carefully begin to examine a sturdy thanot box for traps...

Hmmm, you can see what appears to be a tiny hole next to the lock plate which doesn't seem to belong there. Looking closer you see a gleaming sliver of metal recessed in the hole.

It looks like an intricate trap (about -298).

You still have a good enough picture of the trap in your mind, that you could try to disarm it.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

>gld
You are Guild Master of the Rogue Guild.
You are current with your dues and must check in again sometime in the next 52 days.
You currently have 0 task trading vouchers.
You currently have 271 ranks out of a possible 372 for your training.

You have 39 ranks in the Lock Mastery skill.
You need 15 training points to earn your next rank.
The Training Administrator told you to extract some poison needles or jaw traps.
You have 2 repetitions remaining to complete this task.

Click GLD MENU for additional commands.

>get box
You pick up a sturdy thanot box.

>disarm my box
Having discovered a trap on the box you begin to carefully attempt to disarm it...

You feel like you've made an adequate attempt.

Using a bit of putty from your locksmith's toolkit, you manage to block the tiny hole in the lock plate.

(You have 49 lumps of putty remaining.)
Roundtime: 20 sec.
Re: Why am I not getting a rep for this? 04/13/2016 02:55 PM CDT
What specific task have you been given? If it is the extract components one, you'll have to successfully extract the needle during the disarm process, there is some luck involved in whether or not you just disarm it or disarm and extract it.

Ixix
Re: Why am I not getting a rep for this? 04/13/2016 03:18 PM CDT

For extraction reps my observation was that the easier I could make a trap compared to my skill the higher my chance to successfully extract the component. So if you know you didn't need trap lore to disarm it successfully, use trap lore anyway. I was thrilled to pick the lowest level boxes I could find since it meant these reps were easier, assuming your customers boxes end up having the right traps.
Re: Why am I not getting a rep for this? 04/13/2016 03:42 PM CDT
What specific task have you been given? If it is the extract components one, you'll have to successfully extract the needle during the disarm process, there is some luck involved in whether or not you just disarm it or disarm and extract it.
Ixix

The Training Administrator told you to extract some poison needles or jaw traps.

Considering how hard it is to find boxes that you can actually use, when you don't get a rep off of it, it's very frustrating.

For extraction reps my observation was that the easier I could make a trap compared to my skill the higher my chance to successfully extract the component. So if you know you didn't need trap lore to disarm it successfully, use trap lore anyway. I was thrilled to pick the lowest level boxes I could find since it meant these reps were easier, assuming your customers boxes end up having the right traps.

I wasn't aware of this, thank you.

I still think if you actually find the box with the trap you need, you should get the rep. It's already frustrating enough farming boxes.
Re: Why am I not getting a rep for this? 04/14/2016 05:47 PM CDT
Capped Rogue, perfect stats. 2.75x in disarm

You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Disarm Enhancement spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
You become calm and focused.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)
>disarm trunk
You carefully begin to examine an acid-pitted brass trunk for traps...

You notice a discolored oval ring around the outside of the trunk which makes you suspicious. Your suspicions are confirmed when you look inside the keyhole and notice the spring-loaded jaws pressed flush against the trunk walls.

It looks like a simple trap (-80).

You still have a good enough picture of the trap in your mind, that you could try to disarm it.
Watching for traps!
Roundtime: 16 sec.
>get trunk
You pick up an acid-pitted brass trunk.
>disarm my trunk
Having discovered a trap on the trunk you begin to carefully attempt to disarm it...

You feel like you've made an adequate attempt.

Using the pair of metal grips, you manage to pull out the two pins that hold the upper and lower jaw pieces together. As the pins are removed, the jaws suddenly close and warp under the tremendous strain applied by their arming mechanism.
Roundtime: 19 sec.
>swear
You swear long, loud and well.
>

Ixix, will you explain why this is random? If I have the knowledge to remove the component, and I'm very well trained to remove it, why does there have to be randomness to it? I can spend all day farming boxes and not find a suitable trap. I'm stuck with 1 rep left and finding a box feels impossible, and it's very frustrating.
Re: Why am I not getting a rep for this? 04/19/2016 07:16 PM CDT
There are 2 portions to the trap component extraction formula - a random portion, which is the larger part, and a bonus based on how well you disarmed the trap, which is (was) pretty small. I just increased the success-bonus part significantly - the random portion is still the larger of the two, but you should see a pretty good sized boost to your success rates - especially if you succeed by a wide margin.

The success portion of the formula just takes the total after doing all of the math, so anything that increases your ability to disarm traps will indirectly boost your ability to extract components.

As to why it's random - I don't have a specific answer for that in this case, but luck plays a big part of a lot of things in GemStone so it's not really out of place.

Ixix
Re: Why am I not getting a rep for this? 04/25/2016 09:01 PM CDT
Level 82, Rank 15 in cheap shot needs to "practice footstomping a partner." Footstomps level 24, rank 15 and gets no rep. Why no rep at the same rank?
Re: Why am I not getting a rep for this? 04/25/2016 09:45 PM CDT
They can rep off of you, but you can't rep off of them. Get them to cheapshot level 16, then you can rep off of them.
Re: Why am I not getting a rep for this? 04/26/2016 07:57 PM CDT

thanks, at 1 higher level, it works.
Re: Why am I not getting a rep for this? 05/02/2016 05:09 AM CDT
>I just increased the success-bonus part significantly - the random portion is still the larger of the two, but you should see a pretty good sized boost to your success rates - especially if you succeed by a wide margin.

Did you change anything else? I just saw a couple of these traps that were massively higher (75-100ish) than I'd expect from the lock size.
Re: Why am I not getting a rep for this? 05/02/2016 09:51 PM CDT
Nope. I only modified the component extraction formula.

Ixix
Re: Why am I not getting a rep for this? 05/03/2016 05:11 AM CDT
Odd. I don't recall ever seeing a -120 trap on a primitive lock before. Scarabs start pretty high and they only come in at -70 or so.
Re: Why am I not getting a rep for this? 05/03/2016 06:31 PM CDT
mostly squashing the bug, but

>Nope. I only modified the component extraction formula.

Pretty sure Druidstone was referring to me. And that level factor is part of the way the guilds have always been. (Otherwise, how would the first people have mastered partner reps?)