subdue mastery: Is this Deluca's idea of a joke? 12/23/2015 01:03 PM CST
OK, having learned the super secret handshake ... sorry, I mean the Vulcan nerve pinch ... I decided to go back to the plateau and try it out. I was somewhat underwhelmed by the results. I decided, for sake of a true test, to try and subdue a cow straight off, rather than one who was already stunned and prone from having a leg chopped off. First trial, I started with a blackjack and then progressed to bare handed.

>>You remove a blackjack from in your deep black silk pack.
H>
You are now in an offensive stance.
H>
[Roll result: 109 (open d100: 31) Bonus: 20]
You spring from hiding and deliver a blow to a lesser minotaur's head!
The lesser minotaur is dazed!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>stow r
You put a blackjack in your deep black silk pack.
>stance defen
> hide
You are now in a defensive stance.
>
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>
A lesser minotaur casually glances askance in various directions, attempting to appear discreet.
Suddenly moving his attention wildly throughout the area, the lesser minotaur assumes an expression of clear frustration.
HR>stance off
You are now in an offensive stance.
H>
Squinting warily, a lesser minotaur stomps east.
H>subd min
Subdue what?
H>e
[Hidden Plateau]
A stone-circled garden remains undisturbed near the base of the wall, ringed by large, smooth stones. In its center stands a tall maple tree, decaying and dying, but still adorned with stray bits of green. You also see a lesser minotaur.
Obvious paths: east, west
Roundtime: 2 sec.
HR>subd min
[Roll result: 139 (open d100: 74) Bonus: 5]
The lesser minotaur is paralyzed and is driven to its knees!
R>
A lesser minotaur remains completely immobile.<<

OK, it actually does work, but notice that without the bonus conferred by the blackjack, the bonus is only 5; a loss of 15 on the end roll. Since even with a blackjack there is a twenty percent failure rate, the "super secret" technique just drives this failure rate way up to almost double! OK, let's try that again; maybe it was a fluke. This time let's barehand it first, then grab the blackjack.

>hide
>
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>subd min
H>
[Roll result: 136 (open d100: 73) Bonus: 5]
The lesser minotaur is paralyzed and is driven to its knees!
R>get black
You remove a blackjack from in your deep black silk pack.
>hide
HR>subd min
[Roll result: 156 (open d100: 38) Bonus: 60]
The lesser minotaur is paralyzed and is driven face-first to the ground!
Roundtime: 5 sec.<<

Right; the first trial has the usual wimpy 5 bonus, while the bonus with the blackjack and the critter already subdued skyrockets to 6O! What the heck kind of mastery technique drops the effectiveness of a maneuver by a factor of 4? OK so I don't have to hold a blackjack, which makes a follow up UAC attack more effective. Big whoop. I'll take the better chance of subdual and just stow the cosh before the killing strike.