stealth get speed reps 09/06/2015 01:15 AM CDT
I just got speed reps as a task for stealth get gambit training. I can't seem to get any reps, because this keeps happening

>>drop lockp
You drop a copper lockpick.
>hide
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>rg stealth get lockp
You move to take the copper lockpick, but realize that doing so would compromise your hidden position.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
HR>get lockp
You come out of hiding.
You pick up a copper lockpick.<<

I am doing these in the guild courtyard, with nobody else around; how the heck is my position being compromised?
I have 2.5x skill in S&H, btw. There is no way I can complete the number of reps in the time period required. What am I doing wrong?
Re: stealth get speed reps 09/06/2015 01:20 AM CDT
From what I remember that's just the standard "fail" message you receive. You just have to keep trying until you get it.

From what I recall those speed reps were a pain.
Re: stealth get speed reps 09/06/2015 01:33 AM CDT
OK, I managed to do it, but indeed they are annoying. Why do I fail when there is nobody watching? If I get two such failures there is no way to complete the series in the time allotted. I am managing to complete maybe 1 series in 3. This is highly annoying; no other gambit's speed reps had such a problem.
Re: stealth get speed reps 09/06/2015 07:40 AM CDT
Are you running shadow mastery?
Do you have pickpocket training?
Do you have a pocket wizard?

HR>rg stealth get lockp
You move to take the copper lockpick, but realize that doing so would compromise your hidden position.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

This is a minor failure, a major failure would drop you from hiding. You are just realising that you wouldn't do it stealthily and so not doing it.

Stealth gambits are the hardest to do speed raps on but they aren't as bad as they were before Oscuro fixed a bug in them. I didn't actually have to resort to haste, but it looked like it would have been necessary before then.
Re: stealth get speed reps 09/06/2015 07:50 AM CDT

I believe sorcerers have an illusion speed rep that is equally difficult/annoying. Probably worth investing in some haste items to work through them.

-- Robert

"All wizards are beginners; some of us have just been beginning longer!"
Re: stealth get speed reps 09/06/2015 09:21 AM CDT
No pocket wizard
No pickpocket training
I have 5 ranks of shadow mastery, but usually just use it for the passive sneaking RT benefits; does it help with this?
Re: stealth get speed reps 09/06/2015 11:51 AM CDT

Yer almost done. You can do it.
Re: stealth get speed reps 09/07/2015 06:19 AM CDT
>I have 5 ranks of shadow mastery, but usually just use it for the passive sneaking RT benefits; does it help with this?

I'm not sure. When I tried it I only had one or two ranks but it made it worse. After that bug was fixed I found I was good enough without it. It has to be worth a test if you aren't good enough without it.
Re: stealth get speed reps 09/07/2015 01:38 PM CDT
I have 5 ranks of shadow mastery. It doesn't help. I spent 10 minutes and got exactly 1 rep; 13 to go. This really, really sucks.
Re: stealth get speed reps 09/07/2015 11:54 PM CDT
I just tried it again and I found that activating shadow master does help. Other things that might help more though.

Do this at a table. No roundtime from hiding.
Work with two items on the ground and get both before dropping them.

It's annoying, but I don't remember it being all that bad. It has been awhile though.
Re: stealth get speed reps 09/08/2015 02:13 PM CDT
I managed to complete a full set of reps last night in 10 minutes. I guess I got lucky. A lot depends on the number of attempts they want you to complete. 6 tries in 60 seconds is good, 10 tries in 60 seconds is less so.

I never even thought about hiding at a table; I guess I just assumed that ducking under a table wasn't really considered hiding for the purposes of gambit reps (since people can just look under the table and see you). I'll have to try it out; thanks for the suggestion.

Re: stealth get speed reps 09/08/2015 03:14 PM CDT
Using the no roundtime for hiding at a table mechanic is a little in the grey zone.

This though:

<<I managed to complete a full set of reps last night in 10 minutes. I guess I got lucky.>>

Is more strategic than you might think. There's a handful of other ways to directly improve your chances of success, such as the brightness of the room, or whether or not somebody taught you recently.

Ixix
Re: stealth get speed reps 09/08/2015 07:30 PM CDT
The time of day should have no impact, since I always a in game MN to 3-4 AM Est.

I can see a dark room having some effect, however.
Re: stealth get speed reps 09/09/2015 04:06 PM CDT
<Using the no roundtime for hiding at a table mechanic is a little in the grey zone.

I'm not saying I ever used the benefit.

Just out of curiosity, what is the point of having no roundtime when hiding at a table? I thought the no roundtime and no magical hindrance and all that were just there to make things easier if you wanted.
Re: stealth get speed reps 09/09/2015 04:59 PM CDT
I don't know if there's an official reason for the lack of round time for hiding, and I haven't asked around, but if I had to make a guess I'd say it's probably a simple oversight that's been around so long that it's a feature now.

Tables are sancted, and that's where the no armor hindrance thing comes in.

Ixix