Guild skill ranks 08/10/2015 01:44 PM CDT
Just curious how much extra ranks helps the skill. Most CMan type skills, from what I have heard, have thresholds for increased effectiveness, usually every 10 ranks, sometimes every 5; is this correct?

So I was wondering, how did the creators of the warrior/rogue guilds come up with such an odd number as the threshold for achieving mastery? Why not stop at 60, or go to 65 or even 70? Is there an actual increase in effectiveness from 60 to 63 ranks?

::This space for rent::

Re: Guild skill ranks 08/10/2015 08:34 PM CDT
I'm mostly remembering this from a conversation here a long long time ago - but there's 64 values, 0-63, 2^6, and multiples of two are convenient numbers for binary systems. It seems plausible to me. Well - multiples of 2 are convenient, but I can't say for absolute certain that that is the specific reason that those numbers were chosen.

In ye olden days guild skills had a separate attack formula that definitely treated each rank differently. With the current system it's not quite like that, but a master of a skill through a guild is a little better than a rank 5 user of the CMAN version.

Ixix
Re: Guild skill ranks 08/10/2015 09:06 PM CDT
>>In ye olden days guild skills had a separate attack formula that definitely treated each rank differently. With the current system it's not quite like that, but a master of a skill through a guild is a little better than a rank 5 user of the CMAN version.<<

Yes, I am aware of that. 60 ranks achieved through the Guild is equal to 6 ranks via the CMan system. One would certainly hope it would work better. My question was, is there any significant difference between 60 ranks and 63 ranks of a skill? Other than getting the title of Guildmaster; a difference in effectiveness is what I mean.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Guild skill ranks 08/11/2015 07:29 PM CDT
<<Yes, I am aware of that. 60 ranks achieved through the Guild is equal to 6 ranks via the CMan system. One would certainly hope it would work better. My question was, is there any significant difference between 60 ranks and 63 ranks of a skill? Other than getting the title of Guildmaster; a difference in effectiveness is what I mean.>>

Yes, there is a difference between 60 and 63 ranks.

Ixix
Re: Guild skill ranks 08/11/2015 10:13 PM CDT
OK, thanks. If there weren't a real difference I would take a break from doing guild reps for a while, but if it actually does make a mechanical difference, I'll get the last three ranks of sweep first.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."