best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 02:03 AM CST
so, I've been thinking really really really hard about the best "all around" armor for a rogue now that I am reaching ever closer to cap (level 88 now! woot!)

my theory is this...

torso chain (requires 40 ranks to train off maneuver penalty)

with a total of 90 ranks in Armor Use this reduces the Armor Penalty to that of a leather breastplate instead of chain mail (50 extra ranks).

here is where I'm not 100% sure and need some help...

with a total of 90 ranks in Armor Use this allows me to learn Rank 3 in Armored Evasion.

does Armored Evasion calculate as if I was now wearing AG3 since I will have those extra 50 ranks in armor?

If it reduces to AG3 then I will net a final Armor Penalty of -1 while in torso chain mail (-13 down to -7 from the 50 extra armor ranks, -6 from rank 3 in Armored Evasion)... if this IS the case then I find this to be the most efficient cost for Armor Use.

If it DOESN'T reduce the calculation from AG4 to AG3 I may be better off sticking to brigandine armor. Natural -12, reduced to -6 with extra Armor Use training, then an additional -6 in Armored Evasion to net a 0 Armor Penalty)

-James-
player of Fremie

Mirayam says, "You are not a rogue, sir."

Mirayam exclaims, "You are noble!"
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 09:38 AM CST
I would be very surprised if armored evasion went by anything other than the armor you were actually wearing.

Also it is 50 above the RT to get the AP reduction, so only 40 above the manoever, and hence only 80 not 90.

A big disadvantage of torso armor is that you can't put any enhancive accessories over it without it pushing up your AsG. Say bye, bye to your brawling vambraces, spiked leg guards, crit padded helm etc. if you go with torso armor.
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 10:28 AM CST
I say robes.

Step One: You're going to need a lot of TPs. Get way post cap.

Step Two: You're going to need to be fast, just in case you are no good at the game and have no sense of tactics. 3x dodge and grab evasion mastery to maximize DS and evasion % for those pesky moments you actually get swung at. Even in offensive, the evasion mastery bonus is substantial in robes.

Step Three: You need to be a ghost. 3x hide, shadow mastery, and armored stealth (2x armor and wear robes? Yes!). Who needs DS, redux, or TD when nothing can see you or pull you out of hiding? The armored stealth bonus in robes pretty much makes it so the only thing you have to worry about is fumbles against even the most perceptive of creatures.

Step Four: Exploit the hiding mechanic to the fullest. You'll need a lot of stamina. 2x physical fitness. Grab divert and vanish. If you miss an ambush, instantly vanish. If you're in a swarm, vanish after every ambush and pick them off one at a time. If you don't like something in the room, divert it away. Hide forever.

Step Five: As always, cast e-wave all day long. Soft RT crowd control, instantly hide after casting. 0% cast hindrance in robes. Never miss!

Step Six: Win GS!

Jelly, plate rogues?

.jaired really thinks the best armor depends on the way the rogue is played
W.W.O.P.D.
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 11:00 AM CST
Your only killer would be stuff like area webs and AOE spells which pull you from hiding.
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 12:21 PM CST
Yea I have worked extensively with some rogues who went the robe-wave rogue path (Vyst and Futtilo mostly)

I die WAY less then they did in the bowels.

I think I might stick with brig, and go for 90 ranks in armor use, which gives me the 3rd rank in Armored Evasion and the inherent AG reduction from over-training armor. 0% armor penalty in brig sounds very tempting.

-James-
player of Fremie

Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 02:20 PM CST
Very simply, look at bandits (see posts from about 3-4 months ago) and the fact that the GM's have posted as you get older, they get harder, and will wear heavier armor (ie; breastplate).

Not everyone has massive TP post cap ability, so lets stick to those who are near to cap on either side.

Metal breastplate with 80-90 ranks armor (or full plate with 140 armor ranks preferably) makes you absorb quite a bit of damage AND crits. Combining HDP (somewhat available via premium points) and sunfist HDP sigil and you're brushing 10-20 points of damage off in addition to your redux. This means you'll see endrolls of 200+ and taking 1 blood damage and sometimes a scratch.

Double in hiding and you may not be a ghost (which has severe coolness written all over it, no doubt) and you'll probably see a little difficulty hiding with undead in the room, but for most purposes you're not getting spotted.
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 03:17 PM CST
my goal is to eliminate armor penalty vs maneuvers like a crawler burrow, standing, climbing, swimming, etc.

I think the most efficient use of points to do this is with 90 ranks in Armor Use, wearing brigandine armor and using Armored Evasion with 3 ranks (ZERO armor penalty).

add padding to the brig, stacked with some redux, and I think I'm good.

-James-
player of Fremie

Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 03:31 PM CST
That's pretty much the way I am going with Kretan, Fremie. Of course, it'll be some time until I have the points (and the padding).
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 04:48 PM CST
I think given proper training a rogue could choose between wearing plate class armor and robe class armor, depending on what he will be going against. Best of both worlds.
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 05:16 PM CST
MBP works out to a pretty good sweet-spot in terms of increased defense/not too much maneuver penalty - assuming you don't want to cast in the field.

In my opinion, of course.

If I was going to cast I'd go with soft leather or robes I think, and 3x hiding. 2x is fine most of the time, but especially towards the higher range of levels there's sometimes a critter in each hunting ground with really good perception (war griffins, gremlocks, storm griffins, etc).

I rocked the torso chain for a while, and it worked quite well really but eventually I had the training for MBP, and just the crit divisor increase made up for the padding I had on the chain... (because I'm poor).

-Keleborrn.
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 05:47 PM CST
so that really boils it down then...

Robes with 5 ranks in Armored Stealth (200 ranks in Armor Use)
PRO = best stealth build in the game, easy to cast spells (e-wave), no armor action penalty
CON = a lot of armor training just to use robes, terrible CvA and DF if caught in the open, requires a lot of stamina to use Vanish frequently.
Notes = using a shield would be counter productive to this build as it reduces the chances of outright evasion if caught in the open, using a twohander or two-weapon combat is suggested. Definitely a post-cap build, as having the 200 ranks in Armor Use would be recommended to best utilize Armored Stealth

Plate - metal breastplate (90-190 ranks in Armor Use)
PRO = best resistance to warding and damage
CON = no effective use for Armor Specialization Points, worst armor action penalty
Notes = good for most high level rogues for the added defense to warding spells which is definitely one of our weaker traits, the trade off is the chance of being hit with a fatal maneuver because of the armor action penalty. Training in those extra 50 ranks of Armor Use seems almost mandatory to negate some of the armor action penalty, I would even suggest 190 ranks to get it down to the same penalty as a leather breastplate)

Brig with 3 ranks in Armored Evasion (90 ranks in Armor Use)
PRO = zero armor action penalty, still viable with e-wave for hunting, very efficient use of training points.
CON = doesn't assist as much as plate against warding spells.
Notes = It doesn't seem to be as common of a path as others, but I think this is the way I'm going to train.

-James-
player of Fremie

Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 06:51 PM CST
Another PRO to the robe build also is that with the massive training in PF to get more max stamina you're going to help boost your redux. I imagine with this build is that someone is robes would be more likely to train to 2x PF than I think someone in brig, fullplate, or metal breastplate would.

-Adam

"You guys took all the pretty places." ~Anonymous
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 07:36 PM CST
The big difference between chain and plate is usually the DF rather than the crit divisor. In MBP, only the torso has the plate divisor, and for many weapons the DF difference between chain and plate is huge. Less so with critter natural attacks, but if you are going up against bandits and the like there are lots of weapons that are severely painful in chain and only scratch plate.

Its really the accessories that are giving me pause at the moment. I have enough armor training that I could stretch from my current chain to MBP any time I wanted to, but it would mean leaving a leaving a couple of nice enhancives in the locker and I don't want to think about how big the hindrance for field use of lore would become.
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 08:44 PM CST
Robes are far from only being viable post-cap...
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 10:09 PM CST
<<The big difference between chain and plate is usually the DF rather than the crit divisor. In MBP, only the torso has the plate divisor, and for many weapons the DF difference between chain and plate is huge. Less so with critter natural attacks, but if you are going up against bandits and the like there are lots of weapons that are severely painful in chain and only scratch plate.>>

<<Its really the accessories that are giving me pause at the moment. I have enough armor training that I could stretch from my current chain to MBP any time I wanted to, but it would mean leaving a leaving a couple of nice enhancives in the locker and I don't want to think about how big the hindrance for field use of lore would become. >>

I wish we could mix and match accessories for partial coverage of the torso -> torso-arms -> torso-arms-legs -> torso-arms-legs-head chain. It'd be nice to be able to wear MBP and a helmet for the penalties of Augmented MBP instead of the penalties of full plate.

Enhancive accessories are a very good reason to consider staying in the chain armor group, in my opinion.

-Keleborrn.
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/19/2011 10:21 PM CST
That should say 'partial coverage outside of the ... chain' in case that didn't make sense...
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/20/2011 03:29 AM CST
My rogue has worn torso chain since GS3 became GS4 (he was in MBP before that), and my extensive anecdotal evidence says it is not ideal. While I wouldn't say it happens a lot, I do still get one-shotted by THWs to the face more often than I feel is appropriate for a square. Sometimes a single mstrike is enough to bleed me out, too.

Keep in mind this is all self-spelled, though.

-Dan
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/20/2011 04:10 PM CST
Padded full plate, small shield, small quick weapon for ambushing. Rock on.

- - - - -
Ron
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/25/2011 07:23 PM CST
I think vanish is what really tipped the scales in favor of robes. Before vanish I would have (and did) argued for plate over robes because there's just too much that can go wrong while you're in the open after botching an ambush. But with the advent of vanish your only risk is basically now not having fast enough reflexes assuming you have the stamina to vanish whenever necessary.

Still, I think it's worth noting that you can still 3x dodge in plate and you can still cast defensive spells in plate before going to hunt and you can still utilize ewave in plate with imbeddables (obviously it's more onerous). My TD is over 400 when I want it to be which with the -21 CvA makes me unhittable by pretty much anything but liches even with CS spells. With enough TPs and the right preparation you're pretty much invincible either way.
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/26/2011 05:36 PM CST
a well place web can pretty much disqualify in either place though, vanish being limited to the rt rolled option
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/26/2011 09:31 PM CST
Webs are really a killer for us no matter the armor, because they negate so much of our DS.

Which is why I highly recommend thanking your local alchemists and stocking up on some fine opaline dust! It's the only thing that keeps me sane some times!

-Keleborrn.
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/26/2011 11:56 PM CST
>Webs are really a killer for us no matter the armor
-Keleborrn

Is it that hard to get your TD high enough for webs not to matter?

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/27/2011 05:55 AM CST
I as a pure can get hit with one of those webs from a elder Seer if I am even slightly dispelled. A square would have to be absolutely glowing to have 0 chance of being warded.
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/27/2011 10:06 AM CST
The best armor for a rogue? As a sniper/melee ambusher I am currently getting by with robes with stealth armor. I also used double leather with some success for a while.

But my sense is there is not one absolute best choice for armor. There are too many variables of training paths and hunting grounds.

Wolfloner
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/27/2011 11:45 AM CST
thankfully nothing in the rift uses webs, but yeah I keep opaline dust ready with a macro
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/27/2011 05:32 PM CST
what is and how does 'opaline dust' work?

what type of alchemist makes it?
what are the required ingredients?
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/27/2011 05:57 PM CST
It's untrammel dust - you THROW DUST AT WEB to destroy the web (or unweb a webbed person). It requires MIU to activate, and has several charges when fresh.

Here's the notes on the 2 recipes on Virilneus' site:
http://www.virilneus.com/recipes/recipeview.php?rid=224
http://www.virilneus.com/recipes/recipeview.php?rid=283

-Keleborrn.
Re: best armor for a rogue - my theory 01/27/2011 10:43 PM CST
Its made by clerics and empaths, it under trinkets I think? I've seen some in playershops, so you can probably do a search and find it.