just came back after long sleep (lost Rogue) 06/07/2018 07:20 AM CDT
Hi all,
just got back and wanted to give GS4 a shot again after many years away....

I want to set up my rogue *63 winters* as a edged shadowed attacker...

I want to be able to pick my own boxes and maybe a bit above but no spells... but want to be able to transfer mana.... Here is my current sheet

wearing brig armor, not sure the enchants and a fel hafted waraxe...

some advice?
oh I am also mastered in all the warlike rogue guild goodies... but I do need to find someone to remind of my knock in so i can pay up my skills...

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 160 60
Shield Use.........................| 160 60
Combat Maneuvers...................| 189 89
Edged Weapons......................| 230 130
Ambush.............................| 198 98
Physical Fitness...................| 198 98
Dodging............................| 198 98
Arcane Symbols.....................| 25 5
Harness Power......................| 45 9
Elemental Mana Control.............| 45 9
Disarming Traps....................| 295 195
Picking Locks......................| 295 195
Stalking and Hiding................| 225 125
Perception.........................| 225 125
Climbing...........................| 122 31
Swimming...........................| 122 31
Pickpocketing......................| 164 64

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 4
Training Points: 7 Phy 0 Mnt (10 Phy converted to Mnt)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

347 days remain until the annual FIXSKILLS is to be granted, on 05/20/2019.

You started this migration period on Wednesday, 6/6/2018 at 14:55:33 EDT. You have 29 days, 6 hours, 55 minutes remaining in your current 30 day migration period.

You're currently migrating at a rate of .010 skill points per pulse, and have converted 13.620 training points this migration period.

Further information can be found in the FAQs.

Spell Ranks:
Minor Elemental :4

Stats: Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 99 (24) ... 99 (24)
Constitution (CON): 92 (16) ... 81 (10)
Dexterity (DEX): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Agility (AGL): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Discipline (DIS): 100 (15) ... 100 (15)
Aura (AUR): 99 (34) ... 99 (34)
Logic (LOG): 87 (18) ... 87 (18)
Intuition (INT): 70 (15) ... 70 (15)
Wisdom (WIS): 79 (19) ... 79 (19)
Influence (INF): 53 (-4) ... 53 (-4)

You currently have 263 ranks out of a possible 325 for your training.

The following information will be restored if you rejoin your previous guild:

You are a Master of Sweep.

You are a Master of Subdue.

You are a Master of Stun Maneuvers.

You have 2 ranks in the Lock Mastery skill.
You need 53 training points to earn your next rank.
The Training Administrator told you to pick some easy boxes under a variety of conditions.
You have 1 repetition remaining for this task.

You are a Master of Cheap Shot.

You have 15 ranks in the Rogue Gambits skill.
You need 53 training points to earn your next rank.
You have not been assigned a current task for this skill.

any help would be great!!!

a lost rogue!
Re: just came back after long sleep (lost Rogue) 06/07/2018 09:22 AM CDT
Your training looks decent, just a few things to note:

-Unless you're actively pickpocketing, you're wasting TPs training in the skill. There's hardly anyone that steals any more and 2x Perception should keep whoever's brave or stupid enough to target a locksmith out of your pockets, this is the first place I'd recover TPs from if they're needed elsewhere

-you only need 30 ranks in armor use to use brig, though there are benefits to over-training. If TPs are tight, this is the second place I'd get more TPs unless you're planning on moving into chain before cap.

-Getting Dodging up to 2x will help a lot, esp if you use a small shield. If you use a medium should Dodge isn't as important to increase, though Shield Use should be maintained at 1x either way.

-HP and EMC are expensive skills for a rogue, esp one trying to maintain both hunting and 3x picking skills. Until you're hunting minotaurs, you shouldn't NEED as much as you have of either just to pick your own boxes and even then you can get away with less.

-On the subject of picking, if you're just picking your own boxes, 2x in Disarm and Picking Locks should be enough until close to cap if you decide to hunt something other then minotaurs in your 70's (if you're going to hunt minos, def keep the 3x). 403 and 404 will easily pick up the slack of lost skill.

-If creature maneuvers are giving you trouble, boost PF to 2x. If you're good enough at timing your attacks to be in the shadows whenever you're attacked this shouldn't be an issue though.

-If you hunt undead or places where they share the areas with what you hunt, get S&H up to 3x. Otherwise you're good where you are.

-Work on Lock Mastery as you get the boxes to get reps. Yes it can be frustrating and take a while if you're not lockering boxes for it, but it will open up valuable skills for you (wedges, ability to extract vials, making/repairing your picks, etc).

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: just came back after long sleep (lost Rogue) 06/07/2018 01:32 PM CDT

I forgot I had pickpocketing... I trained to stop folks from stealing... but if my perception is good enough to keep them out of my pockets and the surprises in my cloak will help :)...

question on 403 and 404, there used to be something if you were a melee class with no spells it helped with toughness... not sure how to balance that with lock picking/disarm... as I understand it 403 and 404 really will not help a ton until you have at least 10 ranks in it for the 2x bonus.... but it is my second day back and I will start with removal of pickpocket and training dodge, using a targe shield so is small... and see how what my armor really is... i know it is good, with padding but forgot what it really is!

thanks for the great advice!!

will be hunting in darkstone for a bit to get myself back on my feet!
Re: just came back after long sleep (lost Rogue) 06/07/2018 06:45 PM CDT
<there used to be something if you were a melee class with no spells it helped with toughness... not sure how to balance that with lock picking/disarm...>

You're thinking of Redux. Having spells will reduce it, but it won't go away completely unless you're 2x or more in spells. Just having 4 spells at level 64 won't make a noticeable reduction to it. For a more in depth explanation of it, you can look here: https://gswiki.play.net/Redux

<as I understand it 403 and 404 really will not help a ton until you have at least 10 ranks in it for the 2x bonus>

403/404 will help a locksmith regardless of the skills of the caster, but they're more powerful if it's self cast and you train in Picking Locks/Disarm Traps. Casting them off a scroll will also reduce their effectiveness unless you have knowledge of the spell.

Try to only cast them when you need them though, picking/disarming with them active will reduce the EXP you receive from picking a box. All of these things are why most locksmiths only rarely ask for wizards/sorcerers to cast the spell on them (usually only when they don't have the spells yet, they're out of imbeds/scrolls, and there isn't another locksmith present that can cast it).

<and see how what my armor really is... i know it is good, with padding but forgot what it really is!>

A bard can tell you the enchant and other properties, but you'll need to find a warrior to ASSESS it to tell you how much padding it has.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.