Disney 04/24/2015 05:46 PM CDT
Disney World would be a lot more fun if it weren't for all the kids running around getting in the way...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Disney 04/24/2015 06:02 PM CDT
>>if it weren't for all the kids

I actually prefer to ship my kids, grandkids and extended families off to Disney World, personally. I think it's absolutely incredible that money actually can buy peace and quiet.

I'll apologize in advance for the coming decades, if that causes anyone a problem with their enjoyment. ;x

Doug
Re: Disney 04/24/2015 06:20 PM CDT
<grandkids>

*passes Doug a medic alert pendant and an AARP membership*

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Disney 04/24/2015 06:24 PM CDT
>>and an AARP membership

I had to read that several times - my mind immediately went to 'consumers can buy Automated Resuscitation Packs now?!'

Doug
Re: Disney 04/24/2015 08:56 PM CDT
Wife and I have been to Disney World x 2, Disney Land x 4, and Euro Disney as adults, at night events, with ze alcohol. I really does transport you in some way to a level of joy that is hard to replicate.
Re: Disney 04/24/2015 10:39 PM CDT
When I was in high school, our band (yes, yes I was one of those kids...I played trombone!) did a trip to Disney World once every four years.

My friend (who does play GS from time-to-time still, though he just had a kid so I don't expect to see him in these parts soon...that's PRICKLIES on the forums FWIW) and another sort of temporary buddy ran around being pretty much as annoying as possible.

You know, we bought sabers, and maybe some other pirate regalia, gave each other sea-faring nicknames, and were running around jumping on crap, generally being a nuisance, and loudly yelling variations of "AAAAAAAaaaaaar matey!!!" etc etc etc.

All three of us were dead sober. The young kids thought we were a riot. Some other people were laughing. And everyone else was shaking their heads or facepalming.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: Disney 04/27/2015 12:06 PM CDT
Try working there for seven months as slave labor for an internship. It wasn't all bad, but I never want to tell someone where the bathroom is located EVER again.

Also, there is NOT a monorail to Universal Studios from the Magic Kingdom. ALSO, Scooby Doo is not Disney, I don't care how much you want to argue with me. AND FINE, the bathrooms are located outside to the left next to city hall and the firehouse ::Two finger Disney point::

~Kayse, still does the two finger point when directing people where to go. #brainwashed

(OOC) You quietly whisper to Riend, "What's the verb for glancing at someone and exhaling?"
(OOC) Farain's player whispers, "I think its kiss farain."
Re: Disney 04/27/2015 10:25 PM CDT

My daughter didn't do an internship but she has worked there for three years now in entertainment. I never go to Disney but I can see the tops of the fireworks from my lanai every evening.

I don't mind it, but I'd rather go out camping or kayaking instead of dealing with mass crowds of people.
Re: Disney 04/28/2015 06:24 AM CDT
Heh, this is the first time I've been in any amusement park since I stopped working on the log flume at Kings Dominion 15 years ago.... maybe I'm just too jaded in general, but I'm really not seeing the magic in the Magic Kingdom. I think this will be my last visit to an amusement park unless someone opens a Marilyn Manson or GWAR themed one.

Starchitin

PS It doesn't help that there's only like 4 small areas that you can smoke anywhere in the park and they're hidden better then Waldo in a candy-cane factory

Re: Disney 04/28/2015 09:45 AM CDT
Cedar Point is pretty dope.

Haven't been there in a few years but, Sarah and I need to go this summer or fall. We missed going after getting married, which was lame.

Re: Disney 04/28/2015 09:45 AM CDT
Not to mention I could ride almost all the rides at age 5. Go being tall go, you make children 48" with magic!

Re: Disney 05/20/2015 03:18 AM CDT
Having grown up in Orlando and remembering the pre-Disney days. I am no fan of the mouse. WHEN THEY Opened in 72 tickets were 8.50 and the workers made 3.25 or so an hour and those who wanted HAD full time jobs. Now tickets are 105 and many people are making less than 9.50 an hour and cannot get full time which means almost no benefits.

Last year Orlando was 50 out of 50 in pay thanks to the tourism business. We have high crime, poverty, terrible pedestrian and bicycle safety. Car insurance is high because 1 out of 4 cars are uninsured. Orlando WAS the city beautiful when I was a child. Now most of Orlando is a tourism . Worker ghetto. Drive along 192 and look at all the small hotels filled with Disney contract labor. Imagine raising your kids like that...

Florida has many many things to do besides getting ripped off by corporate America. We attracted tourists and snowbirds back into the 1800s. Not only are the workers exploited, but so are the guests. You are lucky indeed if you can squeeze an hour's worth of rides in a day for that 105 dollars. The rest of the time your standing in line sipping 10 cents worth of soda they charged you 5 bucks for... but then you bought your season passes on the installment plan...

We have dozen of nice beaches, dozens of natural springs, St. Augustine, Bok tower, Ringling museum, etc... All types of attractions that your whole family can see for less than a single ticket at the theme parks

R
Just an elf about town...
Re: Disney 05/20/2015 11:12 AM CDT
<Having grown up in Orlando and remembering the pre-Disney days.>

Wahoo! I'm not the oldest person in the Rest!

<Imagine raising your kids like that...>

The following is written by someone that worked in an amusement park (not Disney) for 4 years and only made about $.10 above minimum wage:

I'm sorry, but MOST jobs inside an amusement park (or almost any job that involves flipping burgers or running a cash register) aren't ment to be worked by people trying to raise kids, they're for high school and college students and others that don't have that kind of responsibility. If you're going to take a job that doesn't even require a GED, you shouldn't be surprised that you can't pay your bills. Whether they're planned for or not, when someone starts having kids they need to do something to develop the skills required to get a job that pays enough to raise one... not whine that a job any idiot can do doesn't pay enough to raise a kid while doing NOTHING to work towards a better job.

And, yes, any idiot an amusement park wants to spend less then 10 hours training can load a roller coaster full of people and send it on it's merry way... I was once one of those idiots. Heck, there are parts of most rides that can be safely operated with less then 10 minutes of training.

Starchitin

Re: Disney 05/20/2015 06:18 PM CDT

I do live in Orlando now and have several friends who do work full time for Disney. My daughter works there when she is home from college and I have to say it's a way better gig than anything I had when I was still in school.

I will agree that Florida has much more to offer than theme parks but I don't typically tell the tourists that. :)
Re: Disney 05/20/2015 06:36 PM CDT

Yes the burger flipper jobs were originally meant for teenagers who don't have the responsibility of adult life, but the trouble is that now its very hard for those businesses to employ teenagers. When I was a teen and started my first official job at 14 jobs were plentiful for teens. Now there's so
many regulations of when and when not a teen can work, restrictions on what types of work etc... Its a major pain in the butt for the managers. Mc D's opens 24 hours in many locations and teens can't work the late nights.

Walt Disney was known to be cheap, but I can't believe that corporate profits would have meant more than his employees living in welfare hotels. Go ahead and continue paying 20 bucks to park, 105 bucks a ticket, and 5 bucks for a soda though....

Just wanted to comment about how tourism turned Orlando into a craphole. I like the tourists and tourist workers, but the corporate scumbags not so much....

Just an elf about town...