Log file cleaning and third person 05/07/2014 11:10 AM CDT
Working on polishing up various minutes and log files for the BHA wiki.

I have no doubt everyone appreciates a very cleaned up log file than the original one.

However, I thought to port tour event logs into the third person. Anyone have a preference for or against this presentation? Obviously it's more work, and there should be some relevance of porting out the second person accurately.

Just curious as I cropped the Citadel tour down to now 10k lines at my first pass and consider how much time I really want to spend on making it look nice...

daid (player of the temporally-challenged Harvest-Moon clan)

>Out of no where, a ki-lin gallops in.
Re: Log file cleaning and third person 05/07/2014 05:03 PM CDT
I like third person, but that is a lot of work.

Speaking of logs, I am cleaning up my log of the first run through The Marsh keep by Lurrah, Lady Khiya, Pondrick, High Lord Gutios, Jersea, Husark, Lord Sorlu and Magarven.

I obviously don't mind posting my info on this romp, but should I clip out the other player's attacks and spells? I know Jersea is around, but don't know if any of the other players are active.

Magarven the Mad
Re: Log file cleaning and third person 05/08/2014 04:08 AM CDT
Once I set up a section on the BHA wiki for event logs and any templates for posting, you're welcome to put the finished log there. (Or you can go do all that now, haha.)

It won't be a small amount of work to convert it to third person, but it seems much nicer for official event logs from a House dedicated to archiving and history. This particular tour was done some 16 months ago, so extra time preparing the log is hardly an issue.

I haven't decided how I will treat "combat" but I think I'll just trim out the numbers, since it's a log for RP reasons. Lots of people got feared during the Citadel tour (and even some deaths) and it would be incorrect to cut it entirely.

Example:
J>Qatari struggles against the fear!
FS: 177 - FD: 84 + FvP: 27 + d100(L): 48 = 168
Warding failed!

Qatari opens her mouth and tries to scream, but nothing comes out!
J>Astru struggles against the fear!
FS: 177 - FD: 75 + FvP: 28 + d100(L): -73 = 57
Warded off!

Astru slowly regains control of her senses and she wipes away the tears from her eyes and the drool dribbling down her chin.
J>Glyhne struggles against the fear!
FS: 177 - FD: 75 + FvP: 30 + d100(L): 19 = 151
Warding failed!

Can turn into:

Qatari struggles against the fear!
Warding failed!
Qatari opens her mouth and tries to scream, but nothing comes out!

Astru struggles against the fear!
Warded off!
Astru slowly regains control of her senses and she wipes away the tears from her eyes and the drool dribbling down her chin.

Glyhne struggles against the fear!
Warding failed!

Or including this and third person permutation:

You hoarsely say, "No the problem is walking too fast."
>incant 702

You trace an intricate sign that contorts in the air while forcefully invoking Mana Disruption...
Your spell is ready.
You channel at a decaying Citadel guardsman.
CS: +273 - TD: +214 + CvA: -2 + d100: +72 == +129
Warding failed!
Target staggered by strong strike.
A decaying Citadel guardsman collapses sobbing, "...the Citadel has fallen," before lying motionless and silent on the floor.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around a decaying Citadel guardsman.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
R>l

Turns into:

Kaldonis hoarsely says, "No the problem is walking too fast."

Kaldonis traces an intricate sign that contorts in the air [need to look this up]
Kaldonis channels at a decaying Citadel guardsman.
Warding failed!
Target staggered by strong strike.
A decaying Citadel guardsman collapses sobbing, "...the Citadel has fallen," before lying motionless and silent on the floor.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around a decaying Citadel guardsman.

Re: Log file cleaning and third person 05/08/2014 04:14 AM CDT
>by Lurrah, Lady Khiya, Pondrick, High Lord Gutios, Jersea, Husark, Lord Sorlu and Magarven.

Lurrah is around from time to time; she helped out for the Citadel tour. As that persona, Khiya is mainly around for Beacon Hall related things, as she is the president. Jersea is still around of course as you said. The rest I've not seen lately.

Personally I don't take any issues with having my numbers posted anywhere but some people might. Still, unless it's one of these "trading blows" clips etc, cutting out the numbers entirely is a better way to go I think. It's largely just clutter.

Re: Log file cleaning and third person 06/12/2014 06:39 AM CDT

I'm still here! I'd love to see those logs as I think the one I have is only partial.

-K
Re: Log file cleaning and third person 06/15/2014 08:10 PM CDT
Yes, yes. I didn't work on cleaning it in awhile, obviously...

It'll get done though!

>(OOC) Rozy's player whispers to the group, "Spiiiiiderhalfling!"

Re: Log file cleaning and third person 08/15/2014 12:56 AM CDT
I don't think anyone is going to mind much if they get posted in a log. Even if they are not around a lot IG, they may lurk on the boards. Always nice to see fond memories brought back up though.

Although knocking them down to combat brief versions, or shorter (so-and-so hit/kill/legged The boogey man), is always preferred I think for log sharing.

Senglent and his wayward kin.
Re: Log file cleaning and third person 03/05/2015 07:15 AM CST
Well, I suggested possibly dropping this folder, but anyway this was one older discussion I began, and we now have gotten some part underway.

http://www.cns.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~daid/bha/index.php?Archive

There are now at least two RP event logs, fully done up in the third person! I don't take much credit, though, since mostly I just did a little final polishing and putting it on the wiki. I think most of the credit goes to Kayse.

...still got to do the ones from the Marsh Keep and Citadel tours...sorry I'm very lazy sometimes. Also, log file cleaning is a lot of work.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Log file cleaning and third person 03/05/2015 09:47 AM CST
>>...still got to do the ones from the Marsh Keep and Citadel tours...sorry I'm very lazy sometimes. Also, log file cleaning is a lot of work.<<

Astru sent me the log for the flower story which I edited and for some reason from her log in to until she logged out all the lines were ONE block of text. Trying to find the beginning of the event hurt my head. All the speech was also repeated no matter who said it and lnet was in there (which is fine). But I can imagine trying to edit that huge block of text is an even more annoying and tedious task.

I've noticed when I have logs (or when Gair had sent me his to edit) that each action or speech had it's own separate line (and it wasn't repeated). I also put lnet in my thought window (and I can't for the life of me remember how I did that) so it's not in the story window.

Anyways, the point of that rambling is, are your logs usually condensed into one giant wall of text?

~Kayse

(Kaldonis shoves the celery stick in the dead rabbit's mouth.)

Kayse stares at Kaldonis.

Kayse distractedly says, "I'm just going to, um...begin."

Kaldonis pets his dead rabbit.

Kayse gives a sidelong glance at Kaldonis.
Re: Log file cleaning and third person 03/05/2015 06:10 PM CST

Yes, his are. That was my problem with his secretary reports initially as well.
That has something to do with the programs used, not the actual logging of the event.

As for double lines, I get that if I copy and paste from the Stormfront text cache, but not when I use an actual log.

Jersea & shadow
Re: Log file cleaning and third person 03/05/2015 10:40 PM CST
>Anyways, the point of that rambling is, are your logs usually condensed into one giant wall of text?

>That has something to do with the programs used, not the actual logging of the event.

I put it in the email but, this is a file format difference of Windows vs. Unix. In my case, I have to remove all the windows carriage returns before I could paste it to the wiki.

There is a shell utility set, dos2unix and unix2dos. If you get another log file like that from us, then just remind us to run that program on it for you. It takes about 1 second...

>As for double lines, I get that if I copy and paste from the Stormfront text cache, but not when I use an actual log.

This is a "new feature" of the game which is, quite frankly, terrible. For logs in Profanity, it's always double-speak. Tillmen tinkered with Lich for people that don't use StormFront, but it still logs the double-speak. When at first I asked him he said he also resolved the logging issue, only to check himself to see that...he doesn't look at logfiles as often as I do. I'm not sure if he, I, or someone else will find a hack to correct this.

I kind of wish the GM(s) decided to tether that speech window to a flag or some kind so that I could just turn it off. Oh well...

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Log file cleaning and third person 03/05/2015 10:48 PM CST
> I'm not sure if he, I, or someone else will find a hack to correct this.

This seems to work:

daid@titanium /tmp % uniq 2015-03-05-2.log > test.log

Someone was asking for a log-file cleaner some months ago. Maybe I should sit down and piece one together. I probably won't be bothered to learn how to do it in Windoze without Cygwin, but I can get it for myself, anyway.

Re: Log file cleaning and third person 03/05/2015 11:00 PM CST
Some programs, whether run in Mac OS, GNU/Linux, Windows, or...whatever operating system...

Is if we just share logs on the wiki. It was a reason I was happy to move meeting minutes to that system instead of emailing them, since it removed a level of confusion.

I guess Sarah didn't know about the file-format difference at all. Then again, if you just ask me for a log file, I might naively just attach it to an email and send without thinking about file format.

Anyway, I had put this one up last night for the Keep tour: http://www.cns.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~daid/bha/index.php?mkeep%20raw

It isn't linked anywhere, and has essentially minimal cleaning at this moment. But as a wiki, it's easy for any of us to access and start editing, in principle.

(Also, y'all know me so, if any of my replies are terse, it isn't meant to be like "HEY IDIOT!" just like...a practical quick point. As to "as I mentioned in my email" I meant that, the problem goes both ways, just I am quite familiar with it and, in fact, having it into DOS formatting can be convenient for putting into the wiki, which likes ~ at the end of lines to know it's the end of line. Then instead of using a more clever find-replace for "end of line" I can just find-replace the DOS end-of-line character instead.)