E.T. Phone home? 11/19/2013 12:25 PM CST
Decisions, decisions. So the Nexus 5 is out. It benches up there with the S4, for about $100 less, although if you're crafty (like me) you can get an S4 for roughly the same price as a Nexus 5. How to choose between two outstanding phones? Reviews? Comparisons? Recommendations? Kit Kat versus Jellybean?

Nah. Availability was the kicker. I can get the S4 now. The Nexus 5 wait-listed me. Not that hard a choice, after all LOL

Had the S4 for about a week now, and I must say it's every inch the superlative piece of electronic goodness it is cracked up to be. My one and only grumble with this phone is that it runs so much crap simultaneously that you just can't resist doing so -- and you pay a price for that multitasking in relatively short battery life. If I use the phone much during a shift at work (and I invariably do) then I need to plug it in to charge or it falls to about 25% in just a few hours. So far, that's the only rough spot.

Everything else about this gadget is a dramatic improvement over the S2 I had before this. The camera takes pictures blazing fast. The phone seldom drops calls even in dead spots where the S2 dropped them consistently. The sound quality is better. Bigger memory. The email app that comes with the phone is light years better (although S3 owners tell me it's basically the same as theirs, which was a colossal upgrade from the clunky one the S2 used). Some of the fancier features are kind of annoying, like the "I'll pause the video you're playing if you look away from the phone for an instant," but everything from your contacts to your text messages are more robust and user friendly.

Considering I only paid $50 more than I originally paid for my S2, this upgrade is a winner! Anyone have the Nexus 5 yet? :)

Urisk Glastig
Lifebringer of River's Rest.
"May the River always bring you home."
Re: E.T. Phone home? 11/19/2013 01:19 PM CST
I'll get a smart phone when I can plug a keyboard into it and play GS on it.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: E.T. Phone home? 12/04/2013 12:51 AM CST
In principle this is probably possible already if not soon. I play using Warlock on a GNU/Linux system; Warlock runs under Java so works on Mac OS X and various Windows OSes. I don't think Android or iOS have Java VMs yet, but they might.

I should harass my software engineering friend about that. He does mobile app programming for a living and is a expert on Java, too.

~daid (player of Kaldonis)
Re: E.T. Phone home? 12/12/2013 12:25 PM CST
I have the S4 Active and you can play GS on it if you want. It's a bit of a pain playing on a small screen but doable.

Only complaint I have is the same as a dozen others, pull it out of your nice warm pocket in a frigid environment and the camera lens will shatter from the cold.

Might be waterproof bit it's not cold weather proof! (Seriously bad design flaw, and not getting fixed till spring.)

Senglent and his wayward kin.