Love my job 08/27/2013 01:12 PM CDT
People think I'm kidding when I say I love my job. Please keep in mind, this actually happened. I had to edit a little to take out things like company names and stuff.

One of my employees came over to my desk to inform me he had a supervisor call. As the term suggests, this is typically a very unhappy caller who has for whatever reason opted to sail over the head of my employee and is demanding to speak to me. A supe call is usually a very arduous, unpleasant experience. We are a software support call center for a large education software company.

Agent: I have a guy who wants to talk to a supervisor.
Me: Lovely. Okay. What's his issue?
Agent: his toaster isn't working.
Me: I'm sorry. What did you say?
Agent [grinning]: That's what he told me. His toaster doesn't work and he wants us to fix it.
Me: Prank call?
Agent: Sounds serious. He's from Canada.
Me [rolling eyes]: That explains it. Transfer the call to me, wrap up your ticket and keep it professional.
[couple of minutes goes by, my desk phone rings]
Me: [company name], this is Michael. How can I help you today?
User (sounding perfectly serious): Hey, I was transferred to a manager because my toaster quit working. I think I shorted it out. Can you fix it for me?
Me (totally deadpan): All right, sir. Do you know which version of [company name] Education Management System your toaster is running?
User [perplexed]: Umm...I don't know. How would I tell?
Me: Well, what does your toaster say when you boot it up?
User: Ummm...Doesn't say anything. Just sits there.
Me: Understood. Can you log into your toaster for me?
User: I don't know how to login to it.
Me: Okay, sir. What brand is your toaster?
User: GE.
Me (thinking "GE toaster, General Education?? - makes perfect sense!"): Please hold for just a moment, sir.
(So I Googled "GE," went to their website, got their customer service number.)
Me: All right, sir. Thank you for holding. I have a number you need to call in order to repair your toaster. Do you have a pen?
User: Yeah, that'd be great. Hold on. Ok, I got a pen.
Me (gave him the GE toll-free number and business hours): That's their Customer Support line. Call them during regular business hours. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
User: They can fix my toaster??
Me: Sir, they BUILT your toaster.
User: Ok, I'll call them right now!
Me: Sir, it's 3 o'clock in the morning. You will need to call them during normal business hours.
User: Oh. Right. Ok, I'll call them in the morning. Thank you!
Me: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
User: No, that's all I needed. Thanks!
Me: You have a great day, sir.

Across the room, another of my employees -- a young man with really sharp tech skills and a friendly attitude -- pops up like a wack-a-mole and belts out, "Holy crap. Mack, did you just troubleshoot a TOASTER??"

Me: Yes. Yes, I did.

Where else can you get that kind of entertainment and get paid to laugh about it? :)

Urisk Glastig
Lifebringer of River's Rest.
"May the River always bring you home."
Re: Love my job 08/27/2013 06:04 PM CDT
<Where else can you get that kind of entertainment and get paid to laugh about it?>

I work in a five star hotel... in a week or two we have a wedding on the books that's supposed to be Batman themed... yes they're going to be in costume... yes, even the bride. Oh yea, they're a black couple that met when they were growing up in the projects. To say that night's going to be interesting is an understatement...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.