Anticipation 07/23/2013 10:56 AM CDT
Given that my computer is now 5 or more years old, and is starting to really show its age, I've been wanting a new one for a while. It seems like something always comes up. One of the cars breaks down, usually, and that eats up the money I wanted to spend on a new machine. If it's not a car, it's something else that seems more important than a new computer. Same deal everyone else has to cope with.

Earlier this year, my wife Julie's laptop broke down so I got her a new one. It's a nice machine, but that purchase put off my new computer indefinitely.

Finally, my computer irritated me to the point where I find myself talking to the thing in threatening language. I've warned it that I have hatchets, crowbars and various other torture devices to make a computer's life unpleasant. None of this has the slightest impact on performance, though carrying out those threats would make ME feel pretty good, at least in the short term.

When you're threatening physical harm to your computer, that's a sure sign it's past time for a new one. So I finally broke down and ordered something. I think I got a pretty decent pick:

HP 6-core
10GB RAM
1TB HD
1GB dedicated video RAM
Radeon 7550 with onboard fan

I know that much RAM is overkill, but after limping along with this piece of crap for way more than a year, I am definitely ready for some overkill :)

Should arrive sometime tomorrow. Pretty excited!

Urisk Glastig
Lifebringer of River's Rest.
"May the River always bring you home."
Re: Anticipation 07/23/2013 12:02 PM CDT
Congratulations on the new machine! I tend to keep my computers for 'way too long' as well but happily they are fairly new so are still good machines. The challenge for me in buying a new machine is that my wife and I both have one and we keep them in sync so I need to buy two at a time.

Also, I don't think it's possible to have too much RAM on computers these days. You'll be glad you got 10 GB.

-- Robert
Re: Anticipation 07/25/2013 02:48 PM CDT
New machine arrived and it's as fast as expected. Pulled the hard drive out of the old machine and installed it in the new one as a BU disk.

What's the first thing you do when you get a new computer? You uninstall Norton. That's always fun!

Win8 takes getting used to, but I found an add-on on download.com that adds the Start button back onto the desktop, so that makes things a lot less clunky. I recommend that to anyone who's having trouble getting comfortable with Win8. It's called StartMenu8 and it's freeware.

Urisk Glastig
Lifebringer of River's Rest.
"May the River always bring you home."