RSN: Two New Warrior Abilities! 11/23/2004 10:10 PM CST
Two new verbs, GUARD and PROTECT, have been released! These two verbs can be used by warriors to devote some of their blocking or parrying ability towards another player.

Guard allows a warrior to attempt to block attacks against another target (either player or creature), Protect allows a warrior to parry attacks against a target (either player or creature). A warrior can only attempt to guard or protect one target at a time (i.e. cannot do both at the same time), and a target can only have one guard and/or one protecter at any given time (i.e. one guard, or one protector, or both). To start guard/protecting a target, the warrior simply uses GUARD <target> or PROTECT <target>. To stop, the warrior may use STOP GUARDING or STOP PROTECTING.

When guarding, the warrior automatically (if not incapacitaed) attempts to block attacks against the target with 50% of his or her normal blocking ability, at the cost of 25% reduction in chances to block attacks directed towards him or herself (i.e. if the warrior normally has a 20% chance to block an attack against themself, then the warrior would have a 10% chance to block attacks against his or her guarded target and a 15% chance to block attacks against themself.) Protect works in exactly the same way, but with parry attempts instead of blocking.

The above only applies to the chances to outright block/parry an attack, it does not affect either party's derived parry or block DS.

Coase
Re: RSN: Two New Warrior Abilities! 11/23/2004 10:13 PM CST
Are there any just pure RP abilities for Non-Warriors to use these verbs?

<protect XXX

YYY steps forward in front of XXX, raising his <weapon> defensively.

If not, no worries. just asking. ;)

Rail
Re: RSN: Two New Warrior Abilities! BUG: MESSAGING IS MESSED UP 11/23/2004 10:32 PM CST
Well, I just tried it on someone I shall name "Someperson1"

Then, someone named "Onlooker" (I didn't do the guard/protect on him) saw this:

Warclaidhm moves over to you and stands ready to protect him from attack.

I didn't even GUARD/PROTECT this person yet he saw this. The person that I did GUARD on though testing it Evaded his attacks by himself (i.e I didn't see some message saying I blocked it for him?)

Thanks, and I love these commands.
Re: RSN: Two New Warrior Abilities! 11/23/2004 10:39 PM CST
"You mill about, but really don't have a clue what to do."

Isn't that RP enough!? heh.

Others see "Desorceri mills about with an uncertain look on his face."

~ Desorceri's Magic Shoppe ~
~ a grey stucco shop with a dark red shingle roof ~
~ Fear Alley cul-de-sac ~ Icemule Trace ~
~ http://www.playershops.com/Desorceri ~

Re: RSN: Two New Warrior Abilities! 11/23/2004 10:49 PM CST
GM Couse, though my obversations I tried this:

I took a youngin', found him in rats. I then PROTECT'd him. I'm 43 levels. No rats attacked him at him at all; or even attempted to.

I then guarded Theraveone, which is about 35 trains, he was in rats too while I was testing this out. He evaded the attacks but by himself, I still have yet to block an attack. I have 30 ranks in dodge.
Re: RSN: Two New Warrior Abilities! 11/24/2004 12:17 AM CST
>I then guarded Theraveone, which is about 35 trains, he was in rats too while I was testing this out. He evaded the attacks but by himself, I still have yet to block an attack. I have 30 ranks in dodge.

Guard has nothing to do with dodge - it's related to your blocking ability, so your shield/shield skill are what's important.

GM Solli
Squares / Semis / Breakage
Re: RSN: Two New Warrior Abilities! 11/24/2004 07:46 AM CST
This should also be added to the repertoire of the Paladin profession. Perhaps with a limitation by Convert status, if it is deemed to be too powerful?
Re: RSN: Two New Warrior Abilities! 11/24/2004 08:41 AM CST
>This should also be added to the repertoire of the Paladin profession.

My toy! Back off!

Menos

>Ave formosissima,
>gemma pretiosa,
>ave decus virginum,
>virgo gloriosa,
>ave mundi luminar,
>ave mundi rosa,
>Blanziflor et Helena,
>Venus generosa!