RSN: Nature's Fury (635) Released! 11/20/2004 07:21 PM CST
The Ranger spell, Nature's Fury (635) has been released!

Duration: Immediate

Type: Attack

Only Rangers are able to channel the chaos found in nature. Using this powerful, mass attack spell, the Ranger is able to draw upon the forces of nature to wipe out his foes. Those not in the Ranger's group are subject to damage based on both the climate and terrain of the area.

Training in Spiritual Lore, Summoning provides the chance to increase the number of damage cycles done by Nature's Fury.
Re: RSN: Nature's Fury (635) Released! 11/20/2004 08:21 PM CST
You're trying to kill me, aren't you?

Nilandia

Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.geocities.com/ladynilandia
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: RSN: Nature's Fury (635) Released! 11/22/2004 09:55 AM CST
Why isn't it player friendly?

I won't be using it bloody much because of this and I'm one of the few that really like the damn spell.

Odysia

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies, cannot stand."
Re: RSN: Nature's Fury (635) Released! 11/22/2004 10:11 AM CST
>Why isn't it player friendly?

435 is the same. There is some disparity in spells that I still do not understand - Cone of Lightning being PC friendly is one example.

:D
Re: RSN: Nature's Fury (635) Released! 11/22/2004 10:35 AM CST
>435 is the same. There is some disparity in spells that I still do not understand - Cone of Lightning being PC friendly is one example.

I'd love to know the thinking behind this. Might someone in red be able to tell us?

Rangers have never been forced to take such care when hunting - if they want to use this spell. I love the spell. It works for me. And I'm in the minority with this opnion. Even with as much care and attention as I take with my surroundings, I am going to hit someone else when casting this spell. So - what do I do? Not bother to use such a good spell because it may hit another? That just really irks me. I can imagine those able to cast 435 feel the same.

Odysia

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies, cannot stand."
Re: RSN: Nature's Fury (635) Released! 11/22/2004 09:14 PM CST
>>Rangers have never been forced to take such care when hunting

We certainly used to, it's just been a while.

- Me
Re: RSN: Nature's Fury (635) Released! 11/22/2004 11:11 PM CST
I recall when I first visited Greater Orcs, years ago, the first thing that happened was a ranger vine slammed me to the ground. :)

Rail
Re: RSN: Nature's Fury (635) Released! 11/23/2004 08:47 AM CST
<<Rangers have never been forced to take such care when hunting - if they want to use this spell. I love the spell. It works for me. And I'm in the minority with this opnion. Even with as much care and attention as I take with my surroundings, I am going to hit someone else when casting this spell. So - what do I do? Not bother to use such a good spell because it may hit another? That just really irks me. I can imagine those able to cast 435 feel the same.>>

610 and 620 used to be unfriendly to other characters not in your group. Rangers HAVE had to take care before. The reason it was changed was that so many people, including me, complained after having been knocked down, stunned, and injured by a careless ranger casting vine in a well-trafficked place. (In my case, it was the entrance to moaning spirits.... RT, nothing in your hands, and bam! a vine, was wonderful as the ranger there did nothing to stop the carnage.) I think rangers DO need a spell that requires care. I'm not sure this should be the one that has that requirement though. (ie, every spellcasting profession has or has had a spell that is non-player friendly: song of noise, meteor swarm, elemental wave (both), mass interference, why make the rangers less needful of being mindful of their spells than others?)

Meg
Re: RSN: Nature's Fury (635) Released! 11/23/2004 09:18 AM CST
>610 and 620 used to be unfriendly to other characters not in your group.

Very true. Though it has been a while since those spells were tweaked to not affect others. I'd never used vines much until I got to the Rift anyway.

>(ie, every spellcasting profession has or has had a spell that is non-player friendly: song of noise, meteor swarm, elemental wave (both), mass interference, why make the rangers less needful of being mindful of their spells than others?)

In doing so they've created another spell (in addition to 620) that Rangers will never use. But, I don't know how often the other professions use their similar spells so, maybe its normal.

It's an excellent spell to use for Invasions...of course, there's that little problem of smacking down everything in the room, including other characters...so, again, it won't be used.

I like the spell. It works ok for me when hunting, but I have nothing to uphunt anymore. If I did, maybe I would feel different about its effectiveness.

I'd still like to see the stuns increased to at least a round even if the damage is not increased.

Odysia

Re: RSN: Nature's Fury (635) Released! 11/23/2004 02:03 PM CST
They don't want you to use mass spells during invasions. That's why most include creatures that reflect Cone.

Asmodea Drey'Haus

Visit Asmodea's Shop on the far east end of Bootlegger's Alley, which located twice west from the south gate of Icemule. Now with auctual invintory!!
Re: RSN: Nature's Fury (635) Released! 11/23/2004 03:31 PM CST
>They don't want you to use mass spells during invasions. That's why most include creatures that reflect Cone.

Of course they don't.

I can't wait to see what creature they come up with that will deflect Nature's Fury. Maybe make it reflect back on the caster.... heh

Odysia

Re: RSN: Nature's Fury (635) Released! 11/25/2004 07:00 AM CST
>But, I don't know how often the other professions use their similar spells so, maybe its normal. <Odysia>

I use my non-player friendly spells pretty often.

410 - I try to hold the hand of or join someone else in the room if i need to cast it.

435 - Don't have it, don't plan to get it for a good long time. It's largely useless, as far as I'm concerned.

1008/1015 - I've yet to use either of these and hit another player. But I never use either unless I'm hunting with someone younger, and I'm just making the enemy easier to ward or hit, so it's unlikely I'll hit anyone to begin with based on sheer frequency of use.

1017 - I haven't used this on my own in a long time, too...squares I hunt with appreciate it, though =). If there is a caster in the group, I don't use it, and if I pass through a room in which a caster is hunting, the odds of my noise catching up to me at that precise moment is very small. I'm thinking of going to Teras soon, and if I hunt fire mages, I'll likely be using it again for my own hunting.

1030 - This is the big one. If I'm about to use unfocused Disruption, I yell a warning before doing so, and then yell again when I'm done, in case anyone is waiting (and wondering why the hell I'm telling them to stay away). Unfortunately, I HAVE killed someone who happened to walk in after I put the command in and before the spell went off (he knows who he is...Sorry!). I've also had a few failed casts with other PCs in the room, but thanks to the virtual impossibility of a bard to ward a pure of remotely comparable level, I didn't hurt them at all.

So the point is, I guess, you get used to it. You'll learn when and how to minimize player casualties. Just takes practice ;)

~ Lumi