Another Proposal for CMP migration 11/17/2004 06:49 AM CST
OK, was thinking about this again.

With regards to being able to try out new CMANs, under the right circumstances, the new system isn't so bad -- but only under those circumstances.

IF, and only if, the following conditions are all true, the new CMP migration system works:

1) You're a square

2) None of the new CMANs exceed 30 points total for all 5 ranks (the typical 2/4/6/8/10).

3) You've not unlearned any CMPs in the current 30 day period yet.

4) You're on broadband, or have a dedicated phone line for your modem (and phone lines that are VERY high quality).

If those three conditions are true, you're able to unlearn 30 points in a little over 3 days, assuming you can stay online 24/7. That lets you learn 5 rank of a new CMAN, and unlearn the new maneuver to learn a different new maneuver, or relearn your original. My rogue, for example, will unlearn Silent Strike by the end of the weekend, and pick up Cutthroat.

But if any of those three conditions are not met, you're SOL.

Semis need to unlearn about 45 points -- that's about 8 days. Still managable, but getting really annoying. For pures, fuhgetaboutit. You're into the 26 hours per CMP mode for the last 15 points. It will take at least 22 days to free up the points for the new skill.

If the skill uses more than the 2/4/6/8/10, it's going to be problematic.

If you've done any CMP unlearning recently, you're screwed.

I have suggestions for solving these problems. These are tweeks to the existing system, not a complete replacement. As such, it should be easier to get approved, I hope.

1) Adjust the number of CMPs you can unlearn according to your class. Squares can unlearn 30/15. Let Semis unlearn 45/23 at the same rates, and pures 60/30. They're already penalized enough as it is. For squares, we can unlearn one 30 point CMAN at the fast rate. Pures should be able to unlearn the same CMAN at the fast rate, although they will, of course, still take twice as long to do so because they have to do twice as many points. This is much fairer than the current system, where 60 points will take them almost a full month to unlearn, vs. the 4 days that a square needs to unlearn the very same skill.

2) If new CMANs are released which require more than 30 points, temporarily, for 30 days, adjust the CMP unlearning schedule. For example, if a 40 point CMAN is release, change the schedule from 30/15 (for squares) to 40/20. Adjust the schedules for semis/pures accordingly (60/30 and 80/40).

3) When new CMANs are released, RESET everyone's 30 day counter to zero.

I suspect the first three proposals can get approved. They don't seem to be abusable, shouldn't be terribly hard to impliment, and should make the system work for the purpose for which it was intended: allowing players to experiment with new CMANs. The fourth one, I doubt it, but here it is anyway:

4) Switch the migration timer to real time instead of game time. It simply gives an unfair and unwarranted advantage to people with broadband. This applies to the skill migrator as well, of course.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

--Tsoran
Koldeen's shop (Cool Stuff!) http://www.playershops.com/Koldeen
Erindril's shop (Enchanted gear) http://www.playershops.com/Erindril
http://www.tsoran.com/
tsoran@tsoran.com
AIM: GSTsoran
Re: Another Proposal for CMP migration 11/17/2004 07:00 AM CST
>>4) Switch the migration timer to real time instead of game time. It simply gives an unfair and unwarranted advantage to people with broadband. This applies to the skill migrator as well, of course.

Agreed. I started with wspec on my rogue because there wasn't anything better for him. Forgot to untrain it before the migrator, but just left him logged in all night and it's all cleared up.

- Me
Re: Another Proposal for CMP migration 11/17/2004 07:08 AM CST
Just posting to let the people in charge know that I agree with Tsoran's suggestions.
If anyone else is in support, please post. The current migration system is lacking, and as the customers, it's important that we let those who run our game know what we want. Strength in numbers.

-Gutuc
Re: Another Proposal for CMP migration 11/17/2004 09:47 AM CST
Tsoran I gotta say this proposal to me seems much better than your first couple. I would support this one I believe, good idea.

Seablade and Seablaede
The Ashrim
Re: Another Proposal for CMP migration 11/17/2004 10:12 AM CST
I also have to agree. I especially like changing migration times from game time to real time. Nothing more aggravating than having to adjust a key skill and having to sit in game for that doing nothing. Swap it to real time and let us play a different character while they're unlearning something. It takes long enough as it is. I can't imagine what it's like for people who can't leave their character in 24/7.

Kithus Norrak Faendryl and his dragon

Man is the only animal in whom the law of self-preservation is enacted after he has willingly subjected himself to the machinations of his desctruction.
~Anton LaVey
Re: Another Proposal for CMP migration 11/17/2004 12:22 PM CST
> It takes long enough as it is. I can't imagine what it's like for people who can't leave their character in 24/7.

Its pretty pointless actually, my rogue is already doing it for skill migrations.

Seablade and Seablaede
The Ashrim
Re: Another Proposal for CMP migration 11/17/2004 06:14 PM CST
Hear hear.

>I can't imagine what it's like for people who can't leave their character in 24/7.

Hell on a stick.

- Jen et Avidleigh et al, on limited dialup. (Only 15 points to go...)

--
Before we let euphoria convince us we are free,
Remind us how we used to feel before when life was real.
- the delgados, the light before we land
Re: Another Proposal for CMP migration 11/18/2004 09:37 AM CST
>Hell on a stick.

Agreed. On the bright side, at least it doesn't melt and drip on your hands. I hate that sticky feeling of dried popsicle on my hands.

Migration sucks.
Re: Another Proposal for CMP migration 11/18/2004 12:32 PM CST
I feel bad for the squares that are stuck in migration.

For at least the broadband users, is there a script that would just make them stand or sit down every 5 minutes to keep them on 24 hours a day for a few days to eliminate the migration wait?

I realize that this is probably pretty easy to script. Unfortunatly, coding is not one of my talents :(
Re: Another Proposal for CMP migration 11/18/2004 12:38 PM CST
The script for this is already written. It's called Rest Mode. CTRL+R.
Re: Another Proposal for CMP migration 11/19/2004 05:40 PM CST
It would be really, really lovely if this system was altered to be instantaneous or the former system for characters under 10 trains. When starting out a new character, it'd be nice to have the option to play around with different Combat Maneuvers and find which will best suit them. Sort of like Death's Sting doesn't hit them completely, only the temporary stat degradation.

T.

Akiromora says, "Someone should have come dressed up as Knaydl. Of course, we'd have to wait four hours for that person to arrive."
From behind a fine monir tavern wench statue, Mahir's voice exclaims, "I'm Meirit, I eat socks!"