5x Mechanical crossbow with temp HCW 12/23/2010 01:18 PM CST
This is a cross post from the high end folder -

Recently picked up this crossbow and have little use for it snice i am doing all I can to avoid archery in any sense of the word. Did some research on this and it looks like its one of two mechanical crossbows that have been released.

Descrption:

A gnomish-crafted crossbow inset with various sprockets and gears in your right hand

This is a 5x crossbow with mechanical crank. The cock time is three seconds no matter what - race, strength, encumbrance, etc... Allows you to stay hidden while cocking and loading as well. Additionally - has temporary HCW (I believe tier 1) from the WoE

I'm going to set the MB at 20m. Auction will run for a few days (likely thru to next week depending on my availability for updates. Will consider BO's and trades as well (looking for nice armor at the moment). If you have questions or want to see it work in person, just let me know and I'll do what I can to satisfy questions. That being said, here's the details:

MB: 20m
CB: [ ]
BO: ?

>look at cross
You glance at a gnomish-crafted crossbow inset with various sprockets and gears. The gnomish-crafted crossbow has a small windlass attached to it. It seems to be in fine working order, the cording recently replaced and the crank and winch well oiled.

Couple zests -

>tap cross
You scrutinize the tiller of your crossbow, occasionally running your thumb along the crossbow's surface, looking for flaws.
>push cross
Carefully planting your foot firmly on the ground, you brace the prod of your crossbow against it securely. With the ease of long practice you slip the bowstring from one nock, twist it several times to tighten, and slide the knot's loop back into position.
>pull cross
You raise your crossbow and sight down its length. After satisfying yourself that the sightings are correct you slowly lower your crossbow.
>point cross
You carefully sight down your gnomish-crafted crossbow and along the shaft.
>toss cross
You toss your crossbow a few inches in the air, catching it adroitly as you swing it around and sight down its length.

From the bard:

You accept BigPapi's offer and are now holding a gnomish-crafted crossbow inset with various sprockets and gears.

As you sing, you feel a faint resonating vibration from the gnomish-crafted crossbow in your hand, and you learn something about it...

The first thing that strikes you about the crossbow is the weight, which is about 10 pounds. In your best estimation, it's worth about 750,000 silvers.

As you sing, you feel a faint resonating vibration from the gnomish-crafted crossbow in your hand, and you learn something about it...

You sense a faint aura of magic around the gnomish-crafted crossbow. From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the crossbow is as some type of weapon. It also appears to have a temporary modification of some kind.

As you sing, you feel a faint resonating vibration from the gnomish-crafted crossbow in your hand...

It has a bonus of +25 from a normal crossbow, and the way it vibrates in tune with your voice tells you that it requires skill in ranged weapons to use effectively. It also has some type of special ability, but you can't tell what yet.
You think that you could probably find out something more about the crossbow if you tried.

As you sing, you feel a faint resonating vibration from the gnomish-crafted crossbow in your hand...

The harmonics generated tell you that the crossbow assists its bearer with aiming attacks at range.

The crossbow resonates with your voice, revealing some details of its temporary enhancement:
The crossbow's enhancement will degrade under circumstances you cannot decipher.
It should be able to withstand an incredible amount of uses before its enhancement has completely degraded away.
When its enhancement has degraded away, the item will lose its special ability.

Farmer had some notes on a bow that had temporary weighting with the "degrade under circumstances you cannot decipher" notation. Here's the discussion Farmer had as to what was said regarding this (copied shamelessly, I know):

*INFO ON USING THE CHARGES FOR THE BOW*

Speaking to Inalyn, Drevn asks, "How does the service you're providing fade with use. By firing an arrow, by holding the bow? Or perhaps another method of wear and tear?"
Inalyn says, "EAch time you use the bow, there is a chance that one of the charges that I've added will be used up."
A cloud wolf rushes northeast!
Drevn says, "So it's with use."
Drevn nods.
Drevn says, "Not just merely holding the weapon."
Drevn nods.
Inalyn says, "But not every use."
Inalyn says, "Tier three is consumed faster..but your aim is uhm much better."