Race Body Weights 04/16/2010 03:55 PM CDT
There are three factors that determine body weight: base racial weight (see table), race weight factor (see table) and stats (STR + CON). Note that strength and constitution are weighted equally for these calculations. Base weight is the character's weight with (theoretically) zero (STR + CON). As the STR and CON stats increase so does body weight.

RACEWEIGHT FACTORBASE WEIGHTMAXIMUM WEIGHT
Burghal Gnome.4040120
Halfling.4545135
Forest Gnome.4550140
Aelotoi.6570200
Elf.7070210
Erithian.7075215
Sylvan.7075215
Dark Elf.7580230
Dwarf.7580230
Half-Elf.8085245
Human.9090270
Half-Krolvin1.0100300
Giantman1.2120360

NOTE: There is the possibility that some of the base weights and weight factors could be slightly off. GM intervention is always welcome for confirmation and/or corrections :)

The formula for calculating body weight is:

BASE WEIGHT + ((STR stat + CON stat) * WEIGHT FACTOR)

E.g.

Your character, a human, has 70 strength and 60 constitution stats.

Human base weight: 90
Human weight factor: .90
STR + CON stats: 130

(90) + (130 * .90) = 207 lbs total body weight

BODY WEIGHT AND ITS RELATIONSHIP TO ENCUMBRANCE.

The amount of weight that a character can carry is primarily a function of body weight and the strength stat. Each character can carry a certain amount before becoming encumbered. That amount is:

[trunc to .XX((STR Stat - 20)/200) * body weight] + (body weight/200).

Our human with a body weight of 207 and a strength stat of 70 has an unencumbered carrying capacity of:

((70 - 20)/200)* 207)) + 207/200
(.25 * 207) + 1.03 = 52.78 lbs of unencumbered carrying capacity.

Once you become encumbered, each 1% of encumbrance is simply 1% of body weight. In the example above, our human (207 lbs) will have 1% encumbrance increments for each 2.07 additional pounds.

Note: Weight factors are not the same as the racial encumbrance factors.

Mark
Re: Race Body Weights 04/16/2010 04:06 PM CDT
Isn't it the level 0 stats that set body weight?
Re: Race Body Weights 04/16/2010 04:29 PM CDT
Originally, but weight increases as your stats do.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Race Body Weights 04/16/2010 11:07 PM CDT
Th anks for the post!
Re: Race Body Weights 04/18/2010 10:07 AM CDT
Personally, I've always wished that the weight thing would be revised to be more realistic or even to allow us to customize what a character appears to weigh. Debia wouldn't weigh over 200 pounds wer she real - not as a paladin and not as a warrior. I dislike that the verb is forcing something onto my character in that way, and it's even more annoying in how players try to use that information IC.

~ The girl behind Debia

Buy my stuff!
http://www.virilneus.com/shops/myshops/26
Re: Race Body Weights 04/18/2010 12:28 PM CDT
<<Debia wouldn't weigh over 200 pounds wer she real

Oh my god you're fat! ;)
Re: Race Body Weights 04/18/2010 01:54 PM CDT
My farmer wouldn't mind having a huge gut weighing what most halflings weigh.

>l vival
You see blah blah blah
He has a tremendously huge gut the size of a well-proportioned halfling.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Race Body Weights 04/18/2010 03:42 PM CDT
>>Oh my god you're fat! ;)

That's one of the most common insults said to me in game. ;)

~ The girl behind Debia

Buy my stuff!
Re: Race Body Weights 04/18/2010 06:22 PM CDT
>Personally, I've always wished that the weight thing would be revised to be more realistic or even to allow us to customize what a character appears to weigh. Debia wouldn't weigh over 200 pounds wer she real - not as a paladin and not as a warrior. I dislike that the verb is forcing something onto my character in that way, and it's even more annoying in how players try to use that information IC.

That's why I've been asking for two weights per character for ages. We can keep our mechanical weights as is, but I'd also like to see a cosmetic weight added.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Race Body Weights 04/18/2010 09:56 PM CDT
>>That's why I've been asking for two weights per character for ages. We can keep our mechanical weights as is, but I'd also like to see a cosmetic weight added.

Seconded. Perhaps some sort of "weigh display" thing that we can set, preferably without numbers and instead a list of pre-written descriptions of body types that we can pick from.

~ The girl behind Debia

Buy my stuff!
Re: Race Body Weights 04/19/2010 01:28 PM CDT
<<Seconded. Perhaps some sort of "weigh display" thing that we can set, preferably without numbers and instead a list of pre-written descriptions of body types that we can pick from.>>

I feel that the lack of something like this is the biggest piece missing from character customization. It's such an important thing too, really.

-Keleborrn.
Re: Race Body Weights 04/20/2010 01:58 AM CDT
As I've posted multiple times before, I'd love to see the weight system change into something akin to our AGE system.

You SET WEIGHT (which is a number) for your character, and then, depending on your race (just like age), you are presented with a list of choices for body/build descriptors applicable to specific weight ranges.

That all would be your "cosmetic" weight, of course. "Mechanical" weight could remain as-is.

Easy, easy, easy.

-Sea Wizard, solutions oriented

You reach into the cauldron and take out a silvery monogram rocket.
The cauldron raises up two of its legs and clasps them in victory.
Re: Race Body Weights 04/20/2010 07:44 PM CDT
I'm not so sure I like the concept of 'cosmetic weight'. But it may be just a verbiage thing.

The problem is that weight determines so many things. And that we, the players, only have a weigh / visual impact to determine if Debia truly needs to take Dionket's head off for a pert observation about her girth.

Perhaps we need a 'frame' reference. For example:

Dwarves are a bit shorter, a bit blockier, and much denser. Their muscles are heavier, too!

Dark Elves are taller, more lithe, and much airier. Their muscles are stringier, too!

Humans are average, slight to stocky, and average. Their muscles are average, too!

Etc, etc.

Where we want to be is there's nothing that says an elf needs to weigh 220 pounds to have a 100 strength ability, a 100 constitution ability, and maximum encumbrance ability. True, that's the way the system is designed, but not the way it needs to tell us!

>weigh Dionket

As an elf, Dionket's build is tall and slim, but he seems very strong (100 / 100)

As an elf, Dionket's build is tall and slim, but he seems average in build (70 / 70)

As an elf, Dionket's build is tall and slim, but he seems a bit slighter than he would if he were eating his wheaties. (50 / 50)

As an elf, Dionket's build is tall and slim, and wow! Does he ever look like a whisp of an elf! (30 / 30)

And so on.

At least, that's where I'm personally leaning instead of a 'cosmetic weight'.

Perhaps the same thing? Maybe.

Doug
Re: Race Body Weights 04/21/2010 06:27 PM CDT
Skills should also be taken into consideration. PT, for example, definitely should change how a person looks.

Basically, we're just asking for a way to customize the apparent figure of our characters instead of having a mechanic arbitrarily determine it. People aren't going to chang stat placement to get a thinner build because that could really damage your play enjoyment. Imagine having your encumberance tank on one box because that was the only way to be slender.

~ The girl behind Debia

Buy my stuff!
Re: Race Body Weights 04/24/2010 08:31 AM CDT
If you are rail thin size 0,you should tank on 1 box,i'm 95lbs and can carry 500lb.and do backflips while knitting just shouldn't be an option.if you choose to be a slip of a thing deal with it just like those who choose to be halflings and gnomes do.
Re: Race Body Weights 04/25/2010 09:01 PM CDT
>>If you are rail thin size 0,you should tank on 1 box,i'm 95lbs and can carry 500lb.and do backflips while knitting just shouldn't be an option.if you choose to be a slip of a thing deal with it just like those who choose to be halflings and gnomes do.

Size != strength

I am a rather petite myself but regularly carry 100 pounds at work. A 30 pound box wouldn't make me unable to walk. I think it would get in the way of backflips though!

Point being, I just want to be able for us to determine how curvaceous, thin, muscular or whatever that we view our characters to be without a mechanic forcing an impression.

~ The girl behind Debia

Buy my stuff!
Re: Race Body Weights 04/27/2010 06:29 PM CDT
what i have noticed with weights in gs4 is most people have a hard time disconnecting from the human standard. Everything is judged like its human,they look at the weight and assume a human look for that weight.Heres and example we once had a lowland gorilla who had learn to get out of the local zoo.a 280 lber, most people heard 280lbs and thought huge gorilla.In reality he was a half grown 4foot skinny teenager, most people thought weighed 1/2 what he did.Really strong things weigh alot for their size.And as long as players stick to the human standard for everything any funtion that measures weight will draw a "yer fat" comment from the stuck in the real world massess. because a 180 lb giant woman at 6'10" is pretty much super model thin.
Re: Race Body Weights 06/07/2010 08:42 PM CDT
Late onto this topic, but, I only use the weigh verb to flirt or show appreciation, or to see if I can drag that dead giantman. I never accepted weights as to how we are built in Elanthia, just a mechanic to represent appropiate body mass, which is important considering all the things we do. Changing how much we actually weigh might require a lot of other things to be changed as well. 180 lbs in this game is actually really lite. 180 pounds as we know it, is a pretty big person.

Don't let the weight thing bother you Debia. It's a silly little in game nuisance that's necessay in its own strange way.

~Ayamei
Re: Race Body Weights 06/07/2010 09:42 PM CDT
>>Don't let the weight thing bother you Debia. It's a silly little in game nuisance that's necessay in its own strange way. -- ~Ayamei

The number bothers me less than other people adamantly trying to impose their viewpoint of what my character looks like.

~ The girl behind Debia

Contribute to the economy of Debia! You too can make a difference!
http://pshops.lichproject.org/shops/3792
Re: Race Body Weights 06/08/2010 10:36 AM CDT
>The number bothers me less than other people adamantly trying to impose their viewpoint of what my character looks like.

Whatever you say fatty :)

Olivier/Chivalrous

---Proud inventor of the causality destroying Droit ballista---
Re: Race Body Weights 06/08/2010 03:42 PM CDT
"Death comes on swift, if seemingly ponderous, wings."

Doug
Re: Race Body Weights 06/10/2010 03:41 PM CDT
Grr.

~ The girl behind Debia

Contribute to the economy of Debia! You too can make a difference!
http://pshops.lichproject.org/shops/3792
Re: Race Body Weights 06/11/2010 04:34 PM CDT
<<"Death comes on swift, if seemingly ponderous, wings.">>

LOL!

-Keleborrn.