A calling of the Remnant 02/16/2010 06:20 PM CST
Would there be any intrest in seeing the culture of the Ashrim elves being RPed into existance?
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/16/2010 07:37 PM CST
No. They're like a horse. A dead one.

- Overlord EK
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/16/2010 08:30 PM CST
What he's talking about is the possibility of some survivors of the genocide (possible travelers who were not there during the attack). It would be nice to see what would have happened to them.

--The Goddess of Silken Cascadia
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/16/2010 08:50 PM CST
>What he's talking about is the possibility of some survivors of the genocide (possible travelers who were not there during the attack). It would be nice to see what would have happened to them.--Silken Cascadia

..except that the Ashrim culture was completely destroyed almost 5100 years ago.

(Note: Culture. Yes, of course there were scattered survivors. But they were not enough to maintain any semblance of culture, which is why it never has been and should never become a selectable option.)

Most elves don't typically live beyond the 1500 mark. Hell, shortly after hitting age 600, they start to appear past their prime. It seems plausible that the gap between generations is no more than 2-400 years. What we're looking at is something between 10 and 25 generations removing an actual, existing Ashrim culture and modern day elves descended from those very few survivors.

In a real life counterpart, that's somewhere between 200 and 500 years of Earth-based culture.

Having those descended from Ashrim stock attempting to revive Ashrim culture is akin to people today descended from the Mayans attempting to revive that culture. Yes, they may be of Mayan blood and descent, but the culture itself that belonged to their ancestors is more than dead and buried. Simply going to a pyramid and guessing at what life was like for great grandpa 500 years ago doesn't mean that you are living that culture again. And no one ever will.

The Mayan culture suffered huge losses when the Europeans arrived - very comparable if not less in overal percentages to the Ashrim - and as a result is no longer in existence. What didn't die out was bred out, or assimilated out through contact with other cultures.

(Also remember - it's very unlikely to impossible for them to remain 100% Ashrim without getting the inbred pointy head effect.)

I'm not trying to be contrary. I'm just trying to point out the fact that is made clear by documentation (and repeated posts by NIRs) that the Ashrim culture is dead and will never be revived. That said, it's perfectly in character for those descending from partial Ashrim stock to want to look to their ancestors as something to strive toward. What players need to realize is that anything they create is an entirely new culture and decided not historical Ashrim.

- Overlord EK
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/16/2010 08:52 PM CST
GM's have stated in the past that any surviving Ashrim that publicly identified themselves as Ashrim would be hunted down and slaughtered by the Faendryl. The Ashrim are dead and buried.

-Richard.
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/16/2010 09:03 PM CST
I'm not the guru of Elves, so it's entirely a personal opinion, but I think it's a loss to the game that a decision was made to eradicate the Ashrim. Though, I think the last person who indicated the thoroughness of the Faendryl genocidal practice was Lothwyn.

In my opinion, the idea of freakin' sea elves is immeasurably cool.

That said, both the Nalfein and the Loenthra live in port cities.

Now if a bunch of players wanted to RP sea elves who did not call themselves Ashrim, I don't see any harm in it (AGAIN NOT THE ELF GURU). The Dhe'nar are solid proof that a dedicated faction can establish a new culture, even if its a long and difficult road.

Just remember, if it's not in the docs or part of the official cannon, then no one is obligated to recognize you as anything but crazy. ;)

GM Scribes
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/16/2010 09:07 PM CST
The Erithi also have a pretty good setup for a sea-faring culture with the Nathala Dai. And, unlike the Ashrim, the other Dai actively like (or at least tolerate) them and have yet to commit genocide toward the Nathala.

- Overlord EK
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/16/2010 09:09 PM CST
Baldies.

GM Scribes
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/16/2010 09:11 PM CST
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Fewer lice problems. Less of a shampoo expense.

- Overlord EK
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/16/2010 09:13 PM CST
It's a race that was bred as a result of the secret plans of a hat making cabal. Just think of all those sunburned domes!

... I've said too much as it is. ;)

...and of course, we also have our wonderful Half-Krol, who put the sea in kickin' butt and taking names on the waves.

GM Scribes
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/16/2010 09:27 PM CST
So GS sunscreen was developed by the Erithians?! They're going to get rich off of that one!

-Adam

"You guys took all the pretty places." ~Anonymous
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/16/2010 11:19 PM CST
Kick his ass Sea Bass!

Even back in the days of GS3 I though the Ashrim were an incredibly awesome idea. And who's really to say that there WASN'T a group of survivors who reproduced and made a small pocket clan or three.

Trallihn, and the man behind the rare elf supporting dwarf.

PS Up with haberdashies! Down with toupees!

PPS Can we get wigs changed to toupees? I know it's just a thing seen when removed, but would be nice (Ya know for the men wanting to have different hair, or to cover a bald spot...)

PPPS Also... town haberdasheries. With locale specific hats (Warm lookin hats in the mule/pinefar, Tropical straw hats on FWI).
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/17/2010 12:26 AM CST
Okay, guys... so you know... the idea behind this is that there was that small pocket. Now... it's not to say that the Ashrim are going to be reborn... but it's more along the lines of developing a culture that ties in with the Ashrim heritage but is not Ashrim in its actual culture. Just as it is, survivors who wish to have their home.

Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/17/2010 05:42 AM CST
So, outta curiosity, is this surviving pocket inbred or was the Ashrim bred out? I'm trying to figure out just how pointy those elf ears are.

- Overlord EK
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/17/2010 06:09 AM CST
Any Ashrim would be well advised to stay hidden, rather than come out into view of all the Faendryl wandering the lands, who would really enjoy torturing the location of the other survivors out of them so that they could finish the job.
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/17/2010 10:10 AM CST
It's a good idea.

The 'culture' ceased to be recognized, but that doesn't mean that facets of the culture may still be held to by survivors. The 'culture' won't ever be recognized again as a formal House -- at least not anytime that I can see.

I'm fairly sure that one could argue that Faendryl are no more sure today of what caused the conflict than the rest of the Kindred. Arguing that Faendryl would automatically stamp out any self-declared Ashrim is terribly fitting for their collective level of intelligence. I'm pretty sure there would be those, however, how would wonder. Perhaps ask questions. Maybe even understand the evil of the act.

There are those who may claim Ashrim backgrounds or knowledge, that may or may not be Ashrim.

And there probably are two or three wandering the lands that roleplay that background without making any declarative statements about it.

As to elves aging -- I'm not so sure that 600 is headed over the hump. Maybe just for the hapless goon . . . er . . . lesser elves that selected a culture that burned the spirit out of them earlier than had been known before.

We have documentation that shows elves to be 'nearly immortal', and historical figures that might as well have been.

In short, it could be fun. Faces a tremendous resistance curve -- which in my mind is all the more reason to do it.

The ones you have to watch out for though, are those who are being courteous and polite all adown the ages, waiting for their moment. . . true elves can wait quite a long time.

Doug
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/17/2010 04:55 PM CST
There are/were several characters that claimed to be of Ashrim blood either wholely or partially. A while ago they started a small PRO, and there were elves, half-elves, and various other races which claimed to have been brought up by an Ashrim.

Most of the elves that claim they are Ashrim go by 'sea elves' rather than Ashrim, but as a culture can potentially continue despite a race being removed, I can see its possible, but its hard to claim direct line to the Ahrim community. For all we know a sea faring elf threw aside their original heritage and took on the 'culture' of an Ashrim. Who knows. But if you want to, try it. If anything else it'll give the Faendryl something to fight even though none have conflicted with the half a dozen openly claiming to be ashrim that I know.

~ Voices

If one is pressed to describe the Warren, one can only call it something wonderful and free; reflecting the spirit of its inhabitants.~Casler
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/17/2010 05:03 PM CST
Oh. Is it this time of the year, again? Let's recap:

The Ashrim culture is dead, dead, and dead. I know, this is an affront against awesome, but it is what it is. Some individual elves might have survived, but they would have quickly assimilated into some other culture to continue that trend of survival. Any semblance of their original culture would slowly fade and eventually die with them.

No one is saying that you can't play an elf with a predilection for hodgepodge outfits, smarmy manners, and barely comprehensible accents. (Not that this even epitomizes the Ashrim elves.) You can even claim to be Ashrim, if that's your bag. It's all good.

Just realize that most sane elves will do one of the following: laugh at you, look at you with tremendous pity, or glance around hastily looking out for sneaky Faendryl with an itchy trigger finger.

--
Naos

I'm immune to fire!
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/17/2010 05:09 PM CST
Er. . .no.

Some individual elves might have survived, and pretended to be assimilated. That doesn't mean the old ways aren't observed.

And of the three choices of response, two could end in death, if one were not careful. The third, probably in sleep, but most likely death.

The bottom line here is the culture from a mechanics and official recognition standpoint isn't attainable. Check, got that.

Now, on with the roleplay!

Doug
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/17/2010 05:13 PM CST
<<Some individual elves might have survived, and pretended to be assimilated. That doesn't mean the old ways aren't observed.

Out of curiosity, do you know of any such case in real life, with real circumstances? Plenty of cultures have been smashed utterly in the world's history, and I really can't recall any of them that have survived as anything more than a wistful memory.

-Grendeg
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/17/2010 07:17 PM CST
A red herring! You normally wouldn't even tolerate such a question, Grendeg (given the nature of our realms -- elvish culture, indeed).

However, since you asked:

http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/last-member-her-tribe-boa-sr

http://www.ancientfaces.com/research/photo/367906

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/303224,navi-ascendant-as-cambodias-languages-face-extinction--feature.html

(with a particularly interesting quote: "Survival depends on one thing: Does the minority want to protect and save its own culture?" he said.")

http://allafrica.com/stories/200812250242.html

That should do as a short sampling of the ails that trouble our own planet. Generally, the story line is the same -- there are few of a culture left. They are encouraged by their host nation / oppressor / conqueror / ambivalence to forget their culture.

Then there are the 'evil' ones that never die -- Fascist Nazism (as opposed to the more peaceful variant?), 'free' markets (which are anything but free to the masses), cannibalistic head-hunters of Bornea (if they ever really existed), etc.

And some few survive -- for a time.

Thanks for giving me this opportunity, even as out-of-character as it may have been for you.

But note: none of this has bearing on the discussion at large. Here, in Elanthia, wondrous impossibilities make up the everyday. This is just one more in a long series of impossibilities.

Doug
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/17/2010 09:00 PM CST
You're referring to a different type of cultural extinction, though. The links you present are about cultures which just sort of fade away on their own without a determined effort to wipe them out. Perhaps a closer example in the real world would be Carthage. Tell me, what remained of Carthaginian culture after the Romans came in to crush it? Within a generation, the Republic which had lasted for centuries was wiped out. Remembered, yes, but it ceased to exist as a culture. Even the language died out within a few hundred years, with Wikipedia claiming that one of the last individuals with any knowledge of Punic was St. Augustine in the 400s.

Beyond that, I can name all sorts of cultures which weren't specifically smashed, but died out rather abruptly in a small amount of time because there were other cultures to assimilate into. Dozens of Greek groups came, went, merged, and vanished. Who would have thought the Spartans would just fade away after such a thundering history? A Sparta survived for a long time, but not original culture. Or how about the Celtic tribes assimilated by the Romans. Odd elements of their culture lasted, but as a whole it was pretty much gone.

In our world of Elanthia here, it just doesn't seem likely that any Ashrim would have perpetuated the culture. Any claims that a character is a full-blooded heir to the Ashrim can't be taken any more seriously than the hundreds of characters throughout the years who have claimed to be of various royal bloodlines and such. Which is to say that they can claim it all they want, but game lore won't support it. If someone came up to me today and claimed they were a decedent of Carthage, I'd assume they were speaking metaphorically, and treat them as crazy if they insisted they were speaking literally.

-Grendeg
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/17/2010 11:41 PM CST
>Just realize that most sane elves will do one of the following: laugh at you, look at you with tremendous pity, or glance around hastily looking out for sneaky Faendryl with an itchy trigger finger. -- Naos

Nixxi (reroll #1-6) had an Ashrim tattoo (then they took my permatattoo wagon away ::sadface:: ) specifically to raise the ire of any Faendryl she met. She was particularly fond of commenting, upon their uppity-ness, "Sink one elven city and suddenly you think you are as mighty as the Stormlord Charl?"

Good times :)

- Miss Nixxi Dagon, the Mixed Heritage
AIM: GS4 Islyia

>The immense figure halts, growling, "...faithful... faithful child. I hear you."
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/18/2010 05:38 AM CST
Again, I'm not suggesting that the culture survived intact, let alone thrived or was 'perpetuated'.

"Which is to say that they can claim it all they want, but game lore won't support it" <-- this is nearly exactly what I said. Let me restate it, my way.

The 'culture' won't ever be recognized again as a formal House -- at least not anytime that I can see.

But then, I wouldn't have given long odds on the Dhe'nari faction either. Which -- by the way -- is headed to extinction?

Doug
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/18/2010 06:29 AM CST
The Dhe'nar are a dying civilizattion. Mine actually will comment on it on occasion, when appropriate.

- Overlord EK
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/18/2010 06:36 AM CST
In relation to the Dhe'nar, I see plenty of newer players trying to bring it back into play and make it as popular again. And I also know of several who are attempting to bring the Obsidian Tower back as well. Before you say it is dying, perhaps you should look more at the newer trends than what has happened in the past few years. The Dhe'nar is not just going to go away.

Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/18/2010 08:06 AM CST
Another thing to keep in mind, when using real world examples of cultures dying out, is to remember that the average human lifespan in the real world is what, maybe 30-35 years? Whereas for the Ashrim culture, the elves can live 1000+ years. That means the elders stay around longer to keep the remnants of the culture alive.

So, I guess the point I am trying to make is that real world examples don't translate all that well, for may reasons.

-Taakhooshi, and Me
Re: A calling of the Remnant 02/18/2010 01:48 PM CST
Dhe'nar population and cultural influence has dwindled greatly in recent years (and millenium) per documentation. I drew these conclusions more off of official docs - which in turn was supplemented by player-driven events in accessible areas of the world.

- Overlord EK
Re: A calling of the Remnant-Loophole! 02/18/2010 05:48 PM CST
>The Ashrim culture is dead, dead, and dead. I know, this is an affront against awesome, but it is what it is. Some individual elves might have survived, but they would have quickly assimilated into some other culture to continue that trend of survival. Any semblance of their original culture would slowly fade and eventually die with them.

This is equivalent to the negative feedback I have seen players give enthusiastic GM's on numerous topics over the years.

We are talking about a culture who lived on the sea, isolated on a vast body of water with many mysteries which have never been delved into. For Charl's sake there was even an isle that housed a shrine with the power to destroy Solhaven out there!

The Ashrim culture was based primarily on seafaring skills for survival and a deeply rooted relationship with the sea as means of life. Your GM fact stating that they completely abandoned that way of life that they harnessed for generations, and embraced a completely foreign culture is half-baked at best. With all due respect to the GM's hard work in other areas, where ever this tidbit originated from was handled with wreckless abandon, indifference, and most likely a bias for the demon worshiping magic reliant elves that killed them off.

If the sylvan culture found itself in the same situation facing genocide they would most likely delve deeper into the forest they live symbiotically with, as a means of protection from their aggressors. I can only hope that in this case Noas your fact of how things should be will be trumped by the popular opinion of the players who want the awesomeness your affronting.

I have a dark elf in plat who is a descendant of a a Faendryl/Ashrim marriage that was raised by the Ashrim. His immediate history involving his coming to the landing involves some sea lore which had to be written from scratch. He is a Ashrim sea elf to the fullest extent although he does have hodgepodge outfits, smarmy manners, and barely comprehensible accents which are a byproduct of his memories being tinkered with his, grog rations, and living at sea aboard a vessel full of sailors from various corners of Elanthia.

His full character history (which has not been published yet) goes back much later than his lifetime. I've put literally hours of research and writing into it. He will eventually realize he is Ashrim regardless of his outward appearance. More of his history will become evident as his skill progresses but as he was the victim of a memory-blocking potion used to enslave lost sailors into the employ of a Krolvin captain there are many memories which will remain suppressed for some time. It was only after Helga stopped serving Grog and he was forced to dry out that remnants of these memories began to appear..

Unknown to him he harbors a seed of vengeance planted generations ago by a distant relative after destruction of his family's lands and holdings along the coast of the Ashrim Isle of Aelv.

Not concerned with politics and more interested in pretty lasses this prodigal son an Ashrim/Faendryl love child (which was hidden to protect his fathers political affiliations) and great great great great skip a few generations grandfather of said dark elf was spending his family's swinish wealth abroad aboard The Greisen during the slaughter. He passed down through the generations the tale of genocide that led to the loss of his entire line forcing him to hide their origins as a means by which to buy time to exact revenge. His mixed race helped him accomplish that task while maintaining his life.

Along with this tale, A log book from The Greisen was passed down. The Greisen was a frigate that was in his family for many years prior to the destruction and was Captained by the eldest son of the family. Although not a complete document of record there are many things recorded in the Greisen's Log that give insights to the culture and lifestyles of the Ashrim elves. Including logs of imports/exports of foodstuffs and other goods traded between the elves and the ports they visited. Trade routes, interactions with other cultures and civilizations. A snippet of the log even covers an interesting exchange in which the Krolvin learned to harness the seas under the guiding hand of the Ashrim, as well as the harrowing tale of the decay of that relationship.

Appended to this log are a collection of journals, the undertakings of each generation to exact vengeance on the Faendryl for their arrogance. Some attempts partially successful, mostly unsuccessful. Both direct and more subversive but each one detailed as to provide the next in the generation with a guideline for success. Most damning of all is the truth behind the assassination of Chesylcha Sukari Faendryl and the proof that the entire undertaking aimed at the Ashrim was a ploy by the Faendryl to eradicate the Ashrim and the Nalfein in one swoop by garnering support from the other elven houses to attack both houses on two fronts. Fortunately the Faendryl underestimated the political positioning and power the Nalfein had cultivated in the remaining houses during the Faendryl's exile hence they survived, much to the dismay of the Faendryl. Some of these journals include allying with other survivors at rally points in distant ports known only to the Ashrim, others involve spy's within the ranks of the Faendryl, and some have yet to be discovered. (The point is the possibilities are endless)

Having said all that, I say shame on you trying to stifle the hard work of players who seek nothing more than find a niche that suites their taste among one of the proudest races in Elanthia.

My documents are a work in progress and it is my attempt at producing some form of history for the seafaring culture in general. As history starts pretty much with the elves, I began with the house of Ashrim. I've always looked to the Ashrim elves as the source of all seafaring technology and culture as it spread while they attempted to expand their holdings. I've always envisioned them as explorers and trailblazers. It's a fun outlet for my creativity and I welcome anyone who would like to collaborate and add to it to contribute. If any GM's want to offer up some constructive input in the form of guidance on the topic I would be grateful as well. Contact me through my play.net address.

Thanks,
-Robin
Re: A calling of the Remnant-Loophole! 02/18/2010 08:48 PM CST
For an idea of what Ashrim culture might be I think of the Kakure Kirishitans which was the underground Japanese Christian church. No one even knew it existed for 3 centuries. Once they emerged it became clear that a lot of their beliefs had shifted of fused with more dominant practices. There are some Kakure Kirishitans who will not come out of hiding their beliefs because that has become an essential part of their beliefs.

Olivier/Chivalrous

---Proud inventor of the causality destroying Droit ballista---
Re: A calling of the Remnant-Loophole! 02/18/2010 10:39 PM CST
<<This is equivalent to the negative feedback I have seen players give enthusiastic GM's on numerous topics over the years.

In this case, this is what GMs have been stating on the matter for years.

I think it's awesome that you've put so much passion into your character, Robin, and I wouldn't dissuade you from continuing to do so. It's the players who care so much about these types of things that in my opinion can make for great GameMasters (should they ever go down that route), or at the least, add something to the game.

However, one thing you do have to accept is that for all your work, no one is bound by it. Until someday when the elf guru says something which validates what you have to say or done, it will never be canon or accepted except by those who make a conscious choice to do so.

If, however, you work hard and gather adherents, and simply never give up, perhaps there might be a day when it is validated. I just want to repeat that if someone says your character is crazy, they have the right to do so going off of the documentation. It's nothing to be upset over or angered about, but something to realize and understand as the process of trying to achieve a heart's desire. In the end, it may amount to nothing or maybe to something, but that part of the story isn't written yet by any means.

From what you've posted, I admire your work and dedication. Keep that flame burning if that is what makes the game enjoyable and exciting.

GM Scribes
Re: A calling of the Remnant-Loophole! 02/18/2010 11:52 PM CST
> Until someday when the elf guru says something which validates what you have to say or done,

If they don't, though.. it could be a blessing too.. (See dhenar and tehir).

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: A calling of the Remnant-Loophole! 02/19/2010 12:16 AM CST
>I just want to repeat that if someone says your character is crazy, they have the right to do so going off of the documentation.

Completely acceptable to be seen as crazy! I have a ton of work to do in plat to develop the character to the point where he is ready to expose his history to an extent that he might even be perceived as crazy.

The only reason I exposed as much as I did is because I saw the interest in the Ashrim history one which I share. I sat down and wrote this story for my character years ago, when plat first was introduced and put so much time into it. I had a sense that plat was special and deserved as much attention to detail as possible. I have been randomly absent over the years since I wrote it for reasons beyond my control but I am still as passionate about the characters progression. There have been a few GM comments along with a list of pet peeves that include some criticism of role playing choices I have included in my characters development which have been derogatory and in all honesty disheartening. Basically the negative feedback was based on behavior without even asking why or how these abnormal actions might have been induced. I only decided to let the cat out of the bag so to speak because I would be honored to share this endeavor with anyone else who is interested in exploring the origins of nautical life in Elanthia it has been a daunting task and if anything I have gained a great appreciation for the work that goes into our current documentation.

Also thanks Scribes, your encouragement is appreciated!

-Robin
Re: A calling of the Remnant-Loophole! 02/19/2010 06:16 PM CST
Robin,

This is exactly the kind of passion that drove the Dhe'nar and Tehir cultures into existence and I thank you for it. The goal with this rp is not to bring back the Ashrim as a culture but to create on that has bloodlines derived from it. I mean... we have plenty of statements here and there about different cultures assimilating here and there into other cultures, but somehow they never lose certain traditions, maybe... or certain pieces of their heritage.

I am not the main driver of this RP, though I can tell you the person who is was very hesitant about posting here in the first place because of the negative responses he would receive and I think at this point, I am kinda picking up the torch for him here. I do like your background, though, very interesting... and I would like to talk with you more about it and maybe get some of your ideas. I guess just email me at the play.net.

Re: A calling of the Remnant-Loophole! 03/16/2010 08:18 PM CDT
A little late to the party here but... never say never. There are any sort of plausible explanations for the Ashrim still existing somewhere. We had five new races just jump out of the woodwork after all. Who's to say a couple ships of Ashrim, out somewhere doing something, didn't find out their home was destroyed. They picked another uncharted island and set up shop. Now we've got a whole secret thriving Ashrim culture. All just as plausible as the backstory for Erithians, Aelotoi, both gnomes and half-krols.

Keith/Kithus

Keith's Emoticons:
;) Joke or sarcasm
=P Just razzin you a little
>=( Grr, I'm all fake mad
=,( You made me pretend sad
0=) Expecting an e-mail from Izzea