Prev_page Previous 1
April Fools? 04/02/2008 06:06 PM CDT
Was that an April fools joke, the announcement about the new shape changer race? Its gone, like it was never there and even though the post said it was available only to players of pcs over a hundred, I was thrilled. And now its gone...
What happened?
Re: April Fools? 04/02/2008 06:14 PM CDT
Ya got another one!!!

Yeah. It was a joke.

I always forget my password, and then reset it with something I think "duh, I won't forget this!" and then I go and forget it -- a certain GM who shall remain nameless.
Re: April Fools? 04/03/2008 12:20 PM CDT
Wow. To me, that was the most unrealistic of all of them. Being fooled by that one should be embarassing.

The monk one was okay until the powers started to come in, like Turn the Other Cheeck or whatever. If they just would have left it at "We decided to not let them attack because monks are peaceful" (not an actual quote, duh), then it would have been much more convincing.
Re: April Fools? 04/04/2008 01:06 PM CDT
The race one was pretty obvious to me too....A'bry'l Fu'lyz or something like that.... say it out loud abryl fulz...April fools...after I told someone else to read it out loud to themselves they started cracking up too.
Re: April Fools? 04/04/2008 07:54 PM CDT
>. . . say it out loud. . .

Heh. I didn't even notice that.

This post has been spell checked by a dyslexic. A dyslexic that plays a text based game.
Re: April Fools? 04/05/2008 12:28 AM CDT
>. . . say it out loud. . .

Heh. I didn't even notice that.

Sheesh, I didn't notice that either. Though I think my favorite part of the whole thing was the couple player posts describing the shape-shifting monks they were going to roll up. <grin> I love our GemStone players' humor.

Zyllah
Re: April Fools? 04/05/2008 02:32 AM CDT
I feel really old right now, why do I say this you ask?

Because the morphing race bit was done already, with the GS IV conversion I think, amung other 4.1 jokes pulled that year.

Culture Docs(Insert:READ!)
https://www.play.net/gs4/info/races/races.asp
Fashion Docs
https://www.play.net/gs4/info/tomes/costumes/home.asp
Time Line
https://www.play.net/gs4/info/tomes/timeline.asp
Re: April Fools? 04/12/2008 11:18 AM CDT
<<I feel really old right now, why do I say this you ask?

Because the morphing race bit was done already, with the GS IV conversion I think, amung other 4.1 jokes pulled that year.>>

That wasn't an April Fools thing. Melissa (the then Product Manager) posted at the transition to GSIV that a shape shifter race would be considered as an addition in the future.

Zyllah
Re: April Fools? 04/12/2008 02:10 PM CDT
>shape shifter race would be considered as an addition in the future...

I think it's funnier that someone thought it a practical joke!
Re: April Fools? 04/12/2008 02:18 PM CDT
I will always support shan as the new race.

.. and apparently will never live did that fact.

- Overlord EK

>Blacker than the blackest black ...times infinity!
Re: April Fools? 04/12/2008 02:28 PM CDT
Pshh.

You just want a tail to wag.

GM Scribes
Re: April Fools? 04/12/2008 02:44 PM CDT
I just wanna know one thing... where are we supposed to swipe the credit card?

~
GM Emeradan
GS4-EMERADAN@PLAY.NET
GemStone IV Forums
~
"The Watchdog."
~
GemStone IV: One MMORPG to Rule Them All.
Re: April Fools? 04/12/2008 08:40 PM CDT
>Pshh.
>You just want a tail to wag. <Scribes>

If I recall certain SimuCon pics accurately, this is a "been there, done that", for EK!

Krunch:"I will learn what no other scholar has ever dreamed of."
Benny:"I'll be able to get Aelloon off my back."
Cale:"I will resurrect Gamlon and fulfill my true destiny."
Richard:"I. Like. To. Kill. Things. How is that not clear by now?"
Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 01:40 AM CDT
<<I will always support shan as the new race. >>

As would I. Heh. But as I recall, that option was rejected because Simu did not want to promote the "Furry" culture into their games.

- Shonison's Player
Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 02:20 AM CDT
<<As would I. Heh. But as I recall, that option was rejected because Simu did not want to promote the "Furry" culture into their games.

Damn straight. I never want to see any sort of furry in Gemstone.

-Grendeg
Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 05:53 AM CDT
Good Call!

Instead we get Erithi which = Ninja.

That is as stupid as labling an entire race as promoting some odd offshoot of anime.

"I hate to say it, but Evarin's right."

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team
Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 06:05 AM CDT
I was being a bit wry in my comment, but the sentiment holds. Why exactly would so many people want Shan to be implemented rather than one of the dozens of other types of critter types instead? Shan are a stereotypical furry race, and I'm naturally somewhat suspicious when it's brought up. By the way...

<<Instead we get Erithi which = Ninja.

There's a lot of this. You were quite right, whether you meant to be or not.

-Grendeg
Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 08:58 AM CDT
>..and I'm naturally somewhat suspicious when it's brought up.--Grendeg

Heh. I was mostly making fun of myself from something that happened at Simucon 03. (I'm pretty sure it was '03..) Honestly, between shan and some new race of shapeshifters, as was first proposed at that con (and not as an April Fools' joke), I'd pick the shapeshifters. There's so much neat potential there.

That said-- I was thrilled to see that mini-storyline with the shan a few years back. It really helped to bring out a race of creatures and develop them into something that was even more unique. It's always a good thing when the standard creatures we fight in game every day are suddenly given more of a cultural background.

- Overlord EK

>Blacker than the blackest black ...times infinity!
Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 09:16 AM CDT
<<Instead we get Erithi which = Ninja.>>

Actually, I've not really seen many Erithi who are played as ninja. Perhaps just one or two out of the many that I've met could be called such, and one of mine may be said to fall into that archetype, but she's deliberately played against the cultural ideal.

The idea that Erithi = ninja is far more prevalent in people who are not Erithi, and those who are not familiar with Erithian culture. Amusingly, I see far more people trying to play the ninja archetype who are not Erithi than who are.

Gretchen

Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 10:59 AM CDT
<<exactly would so many people want Shan to be implemented rather than one of the dozens of other types of critter types instead? >>

In my case, it's just that the Shan look really cool in the pictures. Doesn't get more complicated than that ::grin::

- Shonison's Player
Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 11:04 AM CDT
I always wanted the Ithzir to be a playable race ::shrug::

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team
Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 11:07 AM CDT
>I always wanted the Ithzir to be a playable race ::shrug::

Heh. That's just cause, for once, you want to be giving out the Stone Hands, not receiving em!

Reallia's Roleplaying Ramblings

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/rp1/GemstoneRp.html
Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 11:09 AM CDT
Ithzir cast Stone Hand? I've never seen that.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team
Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 11:14 AM CDT
>Ithzir cast Stone Hand? I've never seen that.

Urgh. Mixed up my critters that really annoy me. Never mind...

Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 11:14 AM CDT
Now that the Aelotoi are a race, I wonder if the Kiramon can be a race as well. Would make RPing fascinating, if not impossible...

Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 03:31 PM CDT
>Now that the Aelotoi are a race, I wonder if the Kiramon can be a race as well. Would make RPing fascinating, if not impossible...

>Reallia's Roleplaying Ramblings

I don't think that they would introduce full-blooded versions of player-huntable creatures.

If shan were ever released as a player race, I'd definitely think about going furry. I'd want to RP being someone's pet though, because I'm weird.

~ The girl behind Debia

UPDATED 25 Mar http://www.playershops.com/Debia
UPDATED 16 Mar http://www.playershops.com/Elysiana
Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 03:35 PM CDT
<<I don't think that they would introduce full-blooded versions of player-huntable creatures.

Heh, that reminds me of Morandas' website and the faux log written from the point of critters.

--Xynwen--
"Don't ever invite a vampire into your house, you silly boy. It renders you powerless."
Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 03:55 PM CDT
>I'd want to RP being someone's pet though, because I'm weird.

Don't you already? ::snickers and hides::

Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 08:01 PM CDT
>>Heh, that reminds me of Morandas' website and the faux log written from the point of critters.

I wonder if that's the website that had the log of a day in the life of a kobold "log" that your post made me think of.

Man, that was laugh-out-loud-so-hard-I-cry-and-hurt funny.

the Muse behind Marni

Colonel Potter: "Only a cock-eyed baboon would leave us with [500,000 tongue depressors]!"
Soldier: "Colonel, I'm in shipping, not thinking."
>>MASH
Re: April Fools? 04/13/2008 10:14 PM CDT
That's the one!

--Xynwen--
"Don't ever invite a vampire into your house, you silly boy. It renders you powerless."
Re: April Fools? 04/14/2008 07:14 AM CDT
>But as I recall, that option was rejected because Simu did not want to promote the "Furry" culture into their games.

Tell that to DR who has a race of cat-people and essentialy a race of werewolves (without the go crazy and murder everyone around me once a month part).

Andrew

"Yes, I'm cheap and easy." -ANDRASTE
Re: April Fools? 04/14/2008 07:26 AM CDT
Half krolvin have fur.

What makes them not "furry?"

CH

"Most animals are better people than most people I know."

>Speaking deeply to a depressed floor stone, you say "Awww...c'mon. It can't be THAT bad."

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Re: April Fools? 04/14/2008 07:39 AM CDT
Furries usually have tails.
Re: April Fools? 04/14/2008 09:16 AM CDT
Ah. As in "plushies and furries?"

In my mind, that requires a second category. Perhaps "tailies?"

Half-krolvin are, indeed, furry. So are most halflings, and some giantkin.

CH

"Most animals are better people than most people I know."

>Speaking deeply to a depressed floor stone, you say "Awww...c'mon. It can't be THAT bad."

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Re: April Fools? 04/14/2008 09:51 AM CDT
<<Tell that to DR who has a race of cat-people and essentialy a race of werewolves (without the go crazy and murder everyone around me once a month part).>>

Heh. Indeed. Guess it's a case of different product managers having different priorities. DR always has a huge showing at Simucon (moreso than us recently) but I've never seen anything furry like there. Maybe I'm just not looking for it :)

- Shonison's Player
Re: April Fools? 04/17/2008 02:27 PM CDT
There's been several DR players that have come dressed as Praeden (cat-people). The "furries" even look like they might transpose over to HJ called, "suwari".

Personally I want to see someone at a con try the s'kra mur. Now that would be cool.

On topic though what would truely be a great April Fools, is for Lorminstra to dole out reincarnation rather than death's sting for a day. Imagine waking up at Lorminstra's shrine and looking like a kobold (sans the character name)! Just for kicks, I would run around the catacombs pointing at folks and yelling, "CHASE!"

Imagine the chaos, and hysteria. Fun times.

-Gina
Re: April Fools? 04/17/2008 02:46 PM CDT
>On topic though what would truely be a great April Fools, is for Lorminstra to dole out reincarnation rather than death's sting for a day. Imagine waking up at Lorminstra's shrine and looking like a kobold (sans the character name)! Just for kicks, I would run around the catacombs pointing at folks and yelling, "CHASE!"

It's funny you mention this. I was just thinking the same thing. I wish that it would happen more often than just on April Fool's. I would love to be reincarnated as whatever creature. Even if we couldn't communicate, it would be cool to test out hunters with suddenly intelligent critters.

Re: April Fools? 04/17/2008 02:53 PM CDT
<<Instead we get Erithi which = Ninja.>>

Actually, the Erithi concept seems to be directly influenced by the Erudite of Everquest, bald heads and all. Bringing in a new race allowed staff to finally cave in to the overwhelming player desire to have asian influences in the game.

Aelotoi? Well, some folks like to play a fairy now and again ;)

-Gina
Re: April Fools? 04/22/2008 03:00 AM CDT
<<Actually, the Erithi concept seems to be directly influenced by the Erudite of Everquest, bald heads and all. Bringing in a new race allowed staff to finally cave in to the overwhelming player desire to have asian influences in the game.>>

The Erithians are the pre-apocalypse members of the Elothean race existing in the DR period of Elanthia, which means I think they existed before Everquest. (Though I can't remember for sure which year Everquest came out.)

Zyllah
Re: April Fools? 04/22/2008 07:11 AM CDT
<<I can't remember for sure which year Everquest came out.

March of '99.

GM Itzel

Eulogia exclaims, "Your codpiece makes unrealistic boasts!"
Prev_page Previous 1