Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/07/2006 08:35 AM CST
Just an idea that was floating around in my head since I began working on the soul-bonding for Jerrikan and Narcissiia.. but I think it would be pretty cool to have a Cultural Ceremonies Document for the different races and how they celebrate different events. I'd imagine funerals, birthdays, weddings, etc would all be handled slightly differently (or very differently) but we don't have a lot to guide us on what the "norm" would be.

I think it could definitely add another dimension of richness to the roleplay of Elanthia!

Anyway. I've had some ideas about various cultural celebrations, so if any GM is interested in that just me know and I'll send them! (I don't want to bombard the race gurus all at once, heh!)

You spy a carved malachite crown, which looks like the heirloom that you are searching for!
>
You think to yourself, "Oh my god, I won Gemstone!"
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/07/2006 09:11 AM CST
A document of a sort was attempted in Plat a few years ago concerning funerals. The GMs asked players for ideas for how funerals and death were observed by each of the races, but not much came of it that I recall, and the document was never finalized.

Gretchen

Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/07/2006 09:55 AM CST
In general, historical/cultural/roleplay-oriented documentation in GS never makes a deadline for completion.

We have some nice documentation, but honestly sometimes having less documentation isn't a bad thing. It lets players' form their own versions of things.

From that standpoint, I'm not sure we need a document on cultural ceremonies beyond what already exists in current historical docs, religious docs, etc.

Documentation will never be top priority in a game (and likely shouldn't be to be honest), so heaping even more documentation expectation recipes onto the already full assignment plates and overstuffed project larders of GMs just doesn't seem very realistic in my view.

Check out the Lore Benefits Summation Chart at... http://carabele.com/odds/LoreBenefits.htm
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/07/2006 09:58 AM CST
To me, the problem with asking players to just go off what they think, makes for a lot of inconsistencies in game, and then an annoyed playerbase when documentation is finally released and is contrary to what players have already released as "documentation". In a roleplaying game, I think documentation/development of cultures should be up there in the list of priorities.. maybe not a cultural ceremonies document but documents of some sort. I can't imagine playing Narcissiia without the current documents that have been released-- they enrich many of our Gemstone experiences the same way that mechanical systems and big festivals enrich other's.

Anyway, I'm not demanding that any GM do it right this second and release it before the end of the year. I'm saying it'd be a handy and useful tool and another step in the right direction so far as consistency of roleplay in Elanthia goes.

You spy a carved malachite crown, which looks like the heirloom that you are searching for!
>
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/07/2006 06:05 PM CST
I think some cultural information would be good, but allowance should always be made for player creativity.

rail
Gemstone's history sorted by race and culture!
http://www.riversrest.net/Highmount/tomes.htm
Don't forget to check out:
http://www.Krakiipedia.org for all your Gemstone information needs! If it ain't there, sign up and add it!
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/07/2006 06:26 PM CST
I like player written documents more than official documents, on average.

I do not mean by this that there are not some great official documents, just that my favorites happen to be from players, or gamemasters who were players at the time of writing documents.

Naomi Chan
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/07/2006 07:35 PM CST
I generally like player documents too.. like I said though, I'm always afraid to post any of my own out of fear that two or ten years down the road something utterly contrary to what I've been roleplaying/saying is true comes out.

>
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/08/2006 12:17 AM CST
You just put a disclaimer and post it on a medium you control like your website.

Naomi Chan
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/08/2006 08:42 AM CST
I like any and all docs about any and all things. The problem is people take a document to mean that any and all things not in the document are not allowed. That is completly false, but the masses will chastise and flog you over it.

No one document in real life captures everything about a culture. No one document in elanthia will capture anything about a culture. Should they exist then? Sure as it gives some people ideas and guidelines to play from, given the creators idea for that race.

Do you have to follow those docs to the letter? Heck no. Off the top of my head I can think of several reasons why you wouldn't have to and still be a "valid" member of that race/culture.

After all by the very nature of being an adventurer, which all our characters are, makes us the non-normal and different then the rest of our culture.

-player of hakwea

public class world
{
public Boolean warming=true;
}
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/09/2006 05:16 PM CST
I was working on an Elven funeral/death rite document for my lore project. I'll have to start from scratch now that I've lost my old computer, but I certainly want to finish that soon.

~Kiki

<KookieOverlord> the bottom line dear, is that i've made Simu far more money than anyone ever in my position. So if you want to dislike me, enjoy. I got more stroke than most, and your welcome to email any critique you want
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/12/2006 06:14 PM CST
To me, the problem with asking players to just go off what they think, makes for a lot of inconsistencies in game... -Narcissa

This applies to GMs going off what they think as well without proper research. The player base is less affected by inconsistancies in player written pieces, than they are by inconsistancies found in staff-written documentation. While utilizing information from player generated sources isn't required, it is far more appreciated; especially if the player sources have become the norm.

Back on topic however, many cultures already have specific documented ceremonies. The Grot'Karesh have the Festival of the Dead, the T'Kirem have their rite of passage (to manhood). In the Human Empire, there are customs that are listed for each barnony. The Dhe'nar have their multitude of ceremonies to pass into acceptance and adulthood. The list goes on.

Keep in mind what your character's perceptions are of her homeland (has she ever been there, did she run away, does she visit often, etc.) This applies for your spouse as well.

I think the important thing is to apply your characters own beliefs into a ceremony that means something specifically for them.

Good luck.

-G
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/12/2006 06:23 PM CST
I like any and all docs about any and all things. The problem is people take a document to mean that any and all things not in the document are not allowed. That is completly false, but the masses will chastise and flog you over it. - Bogarragob

I concur with this statement, in that I've found that players have come to accept all staff-created documentation as the stereotype. When such documents conflict one another, or in-game information, it becomes a question on which is right and ends up cheapening both.

The more detailed documentation we end up getting, the less opportunity for creativity exists and more opportunity for inconsistancy is born.

-G
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/13/2006 06:06 AM CST
>The more detailed documentation we end up getting, the less opportunity for creativity exists and more opportunity for inconsistancy is born.

Heh. I'm sorry, that's just funny to me.

The racial documentation is so vague that there are just enormous areas to paint in, ever around the few things the documents do cover directly.

A culture is a great deal deeper than can possibly be covered in a three-page synopsis. Read a tourist brochure for, say, Greece--then go travel in Greece. Was the brochure incorrect? Not really. Did it even scrape the surface of what was really there, even of the very shallow exposure to the culture a tourist gets? Nope.
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/21/2006 04:42 PM CST
The more detailed documentation we end up getting, the less opportunity for creativity exists and more opportunity for inconsistancy is born. - me

Heh. I'm sorry, that's just funny to me. - Elnath

I think you misunderstood.

Currently, we have the "travel brochures" as you put it. That's the general synopsis of the cultures. It allows variation, without straying from the general concept.

Currently the Dhe'nar have extensive detail on the culture, but SIMU has decided not to use all of it. The reason being, is that too much can create exclusivity amongst players that choose to commit to every minute detail.

By incorporating such detail, it can dictate to players a right or wrong way to play a character which is something SIMU would, I think like to avoid.

The reason for inconsistancy is simple, in that the more documentation out there and the more references, the easier it is to miss something; or worse, to disregard former work in favor of the current. This too causes disgruntlement on the part of players, who now have a dilemna on which "truth" they now wish to pursue.

-G
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/24/2006 10:12 PM CST
I think we can agree that there's a difference between more "detailed" documentation and simply, more documentation. There is room in the documentation for expansion without destroying all creativity in character development. You referenced the Traveler's Guide to the Turamzzyrian Empire. Its great, but at the same time, there's still a great void in the Empire's cultures that could use some filling in.

rail

http://www.Krakiipedia.org for all your Gemstone information needs! If it ain't there, sign up and add it!
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/26/2006 02:05 PM CST
Rail, I think we should start by fixing the discrepencies before piling on more documentation honestly.

-G
Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/26/2006 02:17 PM CST
I'd like to think the discrepancies wouldn't add up to more than a week's worth of effort, if not less. Course, since its in documentation and non-mechanical, such things are given rather low priority.

rail

Re: Cultural Ceremonies Document? 11/26/2006 09:00 PM CST
Well, I think that discrepencies can also be fixed if further documentation is made. More things can be looked into and a more well-rounded decision can be made.

I don't think having more detailed documentation means players can't be creative.. There are always going to be people who go against the documentation for whatever reason and that's always been fine. It's doesn't make for poor RP, it's just that the documentation is there for people who would want it and would use it.

>