races 10/11/2005 03:01 PM CDT
anyone have a chart that shows the racial modifiers for CS vs TD formulas for all races.. for example I know halflings get a +40 at the end of the roll subtracted against elemental magic, and a +20 against spiritual. I think giantmen get a -5 added to elemental magic and so on. I asked on another post about this, but didnt seem to get much reply. Anyone have the info? Thanks!
Re: races 10/17/2005 09:22 AM CDT
>>anyone have a chart that shows the racial modifiers for CS vs TD formulas for all races.. for example I know halflings get a +40 at the end of the roll subtracted against elemental magic, and a +20 against spiritual. I think giantmen get a -5 added to elemental magic and so on. I asked on another post about this, but didnt seem to get much reply. Anyone have the info? Thanks!

A slight correction: Halflings receive a +40 vs elemental and +20 vs elemental hybrid magic (such as the 700s circle); they receive no bonus against spiritual magic in general.

Glimmin Goodhand

Master Glimmin's Locks and Keys: http://glimmin.nfshost.com
See a picture of Glimmin at: http://www.brighnasa.com/Chibis/Glimmin.jpg
Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/23/2008 12:29 PM CDT
I was reading the posts about Half Elf + Elf up in the half-elf folder and it got me wondering. There are no in game mechanics for other mixes - other than human + some sort of elf - but any suggestions on what you'd create a person, say if they were, aeloti and human? or in my case, dark elven and sylvan? Would you pick one race over the other? A wingless aeloti (if that's possible) or a dark sylvan? Any thoughts and suggestions would be welcome.
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/23/2008 01:44 PM CDT
Aelotoi and human would be difficult to pull off because of the whole wing issue, but maybe you could get a feature alter to show something like just stubs of wings.

With dark elf and sylvan, rolling up a sylvan with dark skin and getting feature alters for hair and eye colors appropriate to dark elves would be easiest.

Check out the Lore Benefits Summation Chart at...
http://carabele.com/odds/LoreBenefits.htm
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/23/2008 02:32 PM CDT
> Aelotoi and human would be difficult to pull off because of the whole wing issue, but maybe you could get a feature alter to show something like just stubs of wings.

Aelotoi and anything would be somewhat tricky to play, since Aelotoi have only been on the planet for just-under-5-years. Any half-Aelotoi would need to be under 5 years old.

~Lusus
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/23/2008 02:37 PM CDT
>I was reading the posts about Half Elf + Elf up in the half-elf folder and it got me wondering. There are no in game mechanics for other mixes - other than human + some sort of elf - but any suggestions on what you'd create a person, say if they were, aeloti and human? or in my case, dark elven and sylvan? Would you pick one race over the other? A wingless aeloti (if that's possible) or a dark sylvan? Any thoughts and suggestions would be welcome.

Aelotoi + anything would be just about impossible to pull off since they have only existed on this planet for the past.. what.. 5 years now?

Dark elven + sylvan is perfectly fine in terms of breeding possibilities. Just pick either sylvan or dark elf for the race; they're similar enough that the progeny could be confused for either or. Just keep in mind that whichever of the two that you pick will determine which language you have access to. If your character were raised in Ta'Faendryl, then it'd probably be best to pick Dark Elf; if your character were raised among Sylvans, then it'd likely be better to pick Sylvan.

- Overlord EK

>Maybe EK is just a self-aware 4chan server.--Yarx
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/23/2008 03:43 PM CDT
<<Aelotoi and anything would be somewhat tricky to play, since Aelotoi have only been on the planet for just-under-5-years. Any half-Aelotoi would need to be under 5 years old.

Not if they're a time traveller.

GM Scribes
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/23/2008 03:47 PM CDT
>>Not if they're a time traveller.

Or maybe an out of control pituitary gland?

--Andy (Aarx)

>Trust me... it's constructive! I'm constructing the whole scenario in my head as we type - GM Emeradan
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/23/2008 06:29 PM CDT
For the sylvan/dark elf mix -

You could also pick half elf and go with half-sylvan as your culture choice,

Then you have access to the darker skins/eye colorings, just don't pick any obvious human features.

Of course, seeing it most people will still think half-sylvan/half-human...

but its still an option.

Too bad there isn't a mechanical way to choose the other half of your race... making it allow for only genetically possible choices... perhaps that's getting a little too specific though.

The voice of many... Or do I hear many voices?
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/23/2008 06:33 PM CDT
Half elf is by defanition only half fey. IE they are half human as well. if you want to make a half sylvan / half faendryl then your going to have to stick with one or the other as your base, nothing says you can't get the features changed by a merchant to make a faendryl looking sylvan or a sylvan looking faendryl.

>Something crawls around in the back of your throat.

>It slithers up and down your throat, then crawls into your mouth and out your lips, revealing a miniature spectral aardvark that floats away.
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/23/2008 07:06 PM CDT
A character who is of the 'half-elf' race has a mixture of elven (any) and human blood. If the Sylvan-Faendryl mix also has human, then it'd be fine to pick Half-Elf; if the Sylvan-Faendryl is purely of those two races, then it would not be appropriate to pick Half-Elf/(Half-Human) for the character race.

- Overlord EK

Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/23/2008 07:08 PM CDT
Just to be annoying...

what would you pick for half giantman then?

The voice of many... Or do I hear many voices?
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/23/2008 07:16 PM CDT
a tombstone.

>Something crawls around in the back of your throat.

>It slithers up and down your throat, then crawls into your mouth and out your lips, revealing a miniature spectral aardvark that floats away.
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/23/2008 07:18 PM CDT
GS does not have any sort of published breeding compatibility chart, like the one that DR has. The only breeding possibilities mentioned in the official documents include:

- Elf (any) + Human
- Krolvin + Human
- Krolvin + Giantkin

I've always been under the impression that Humans & Giantkin are genetically similar and interchangeable, so an Elf (any) + Giantkin combination could exist, but it'd be impossible to differentiate the offspring that had Giantkin blood instead of Human in it other than the fact that it might be obscenely tall for a Human or Elf.

A Human/Giantkin hybrid would pick one or the other; I'm fairly certain that staff has mentioned this point in the past on the forums, too.

There are some total freaks of crossbred NPCs in some towns out there which I think were made before the QC process was made decent; they're only numbered among the older NPCs.

- Overlord EK

Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/23/2008 08:14 PM CDT
I am working on a race page similar to DR's with cross-breeding page and other info. I've not gotten past the initial "ooh, doing this" stage, but I'll be working closely with our racial gurus. Hopefully, it'll clear up these grey areas and such ;)

--Xynwen--
"The stars go waltzing out in blue and red, And arbitrary blackness gallops in"
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/23/2008 08:56 PM CDT
Tarpian, my only request to you is this: Please do not role up another character to play as your child. It won't be possible to have a character born, then instantly 18 (since that is the minimum age for new characters in game). Some have very successfully roleplayed pregnancy and child at home with nannies, etc. I'd go that route if I were you two.

(MG, the Maid of Honor)
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/23/2008 10:09 PM CDT
You should hear the music she plays when she's working on the document.

Lotta synthesizers. :(

GM Scribes
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/24/2008 02:50 AM CDT
Tarpian, my only request to you is this: Please do not role up another character to play as your child. It won't be possible to have a character born, then instantly 18 (since that is the minimum age for new characters in game).
(MG, the Maid of Honor)

Unless test tube babies are in-genre, heh. (they're not, btw... heh)

~
GM Emeradan
GS4-EMERADAN@PLAY.NET
GemStone IV Forums
~
GemStone IV: One MMORPG to Rule Them All.
"Master of the Black Helicopters." -- BROWNA94
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/24/2008 03:08 AM CDT
>Unless test tube babies are in-genre, heh. (they're not, btw... heh) - Fehmeradan

What, you can forcegrow test tube babies now to age 18?

Actually, that reminds me of a book series I just read, but it was in outer space! Which is OOC! No wait, is it?

(MG stares off)
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/24/2008 10:48 AM CDT
>I am working on a race page similar to DR's with cross-breeding page and other info. I've not gotten past the initial "ooh, doing this" stage, but I'll be working closely with our racial gurus. Hopefully, it'll clear up these grey areas and such ;)
--Xynwen--<

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful news, Xynwen!

Check out the Lore Benefits Summation Chart at...
http://carabele.com/odds/LoreBenefits.htm
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/24/2008 06:31 PM CDT
>>Actually, that reminds me of a book series I just read, but it was in outer space!

Didn't happen to be by Stephen Donaldson, did it?

-David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffet do?'"
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 10/25/2008 09:54 AM CDT
>>>Actually, that reminds me of a book series I just read, but it was in outer space! - me

>Didn't happen to be by Stephen Donaldson, did it? - David

Yes sir, it did, The Gap Into Madness series. Although I'm missing the final book, ungh.

(MG)
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 11/27/2008 12:28 PM CST
>>>Actually, that reminds me of a book series I just read, but it was in outer space! - me

>Didn't happen to be by Stephen Donaldson, did it? - David

>>Yes sir, it did, The Gap Into Madness series. Although I'm missing the final book, ungh.--(MG)

Okay, this response is incredibly late because I have not been reading the boards much for the past month or so. Get the last book, MG. It is what makes that whole series worthwhile. I am a huge Donaldson fan, but even I did not think the beginning of the Gap series was great (honestly, I'm not even sure I'd say the first book was good). But the final book is excellent.

And yes, I know this post is not only late but belongs in another folder. I'm done now.

-David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffet do?'"
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 11/27/2008 10:24 PM CST
Grendeg, did you enjoy your turkey day a bit too much? :D

And yeah, I can't find that last book, going to have to have it shipped.
Agreed on first book thing, but I had the second so I plowed on, excellent series.

(MG doesn't know how this post got to this folder at all, move along, nothing to see.)

TOPIC: Races aren't always won by the fast. And don't always require schmancy shoes.
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 11/28/2008 01:24 AM CST
<<Grendeg, did you enjoy your turkey day a bit too much? :D

Where do I come into this? Although now that you ask, it turned out pretty well. A nice Thanksgiving dinner, albeit somewhat later that we intended, followed by watching a couple episodes of the "John Adams" HBO miniseries. I have to say it was much better than I thought it would be -- but then again, it's based on a David McCullough book, and that was good enough for me to be hopeful.

-Grendeg
Re: Out of curiousity - A question about races 11/28/2008 09:06 AM CST
I realized my error when I woke up. I think it was the two canine avatars, both being rogue posters and perhaps the turkey/beer combo following the turkey fryer [almost] debacle. Long day! Thankfully it's over, heh.

(MG and her brain scramblage)
Unique features geared towards certain races merchant request 05/19/2011 10:30 PM CDT
I know there are probably a lot of people who just want their unique features done, and they are already sort of in a specific area, so my suggestion is this, a merchant who works on say Halfling feet, or Dwarven beards, or ears for Elves, Dark Elves, Sylvans, Erithians and Half Elves, who have or can have pointed ears of various types for their special quirk.

Could we have this, please, with praise and appreciation in large doses?
Re: Unique features geared towards certain races merchant request 05/28/2011 10:47 PM CDT
Late in answering this, but feature alterations are limited to the neck and up. And they need to be something that should be visible at all times (or technically be something that can't be covered). So the halfling feet thing wouldn't work.

____
~Wyrom
Host Manager
GameMaster Trainer
Platinum Lackey
Honorary QCer

>[Signature Line For Rent]
Re: Unique features geared towards certain races merchant request 05/29/2011 07:58 AM CDT
the 'neck up' rule for feature custom alterations is sorta boff. halflings can already pick out a feet feature in the pavilion (ex: large feet) and my half-halfling always asks even though the answer is no if he can have his foot hair groomed (have asked hair alterer's too with no luck)
Re: Unique features geared towards certain races merchant request 05/29/2011 12:01 PM CDT
>>halflings can already pick out a feet feature in the pavilion (ex: large feet)

This would be obvious even while wearing shoes or boots. (Trust me, you know a man who wears a size 15 when you see one... or a man who wears a size 6.)

>>my half-halfling always asks even though the answer is no if he can have his foot hair groomed

This is not obvious while wearing shoes or boots.

The short answers as to why the first is allowable and the second isn't.

Sucks, but I see the point GS management is making here.

~the Muse behind Traiva
Re: Unique features geared towards certain races merchant request 05/29/2011 02:48 PM CDT
There are plenty of features that are apparent about people from the neck down, and there's even a slot that lets you define one of those characteristics in the face/nose/(RANDOM FEATURE) line in the feature pavillion. I thought at one point a GM had stated that there was some headway in moving forward with body type/shape leniency. Whatever happened with that?

I think that feature slot should be reviewed a little closer and allowances made within reason based on what is currently allowed for any new player to start off with.

Just pulling a few random characters from my stock into the pavillion, these are some currently available below-the-neck features: broad shoulders, narrow waist, slender wrists, stooped shoulders, wide hips, broad chest, and hunched back. All of these seem like perfect examples of reasonable features but all fall under the no-no zone.

The L behind the Laphrael

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a shoe.
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Laphrael