Republican Presidential Contest 12/14/2011 07:29 AM CST
The rise of Gingrich caught me completely off guard. In trying to imagine all the ways one candidate or another could win the Republican nominating contest, it never occurred to me that Newt Gingrich would have a chance of winning.

I still don't understand how it happened. Romney was leading, but then Gingrich surged into first place, seemingly out of nowhere. How did it happen? Was it Cain's withdrawal from the race?

You can look at the current polls here:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/republican_presidential_nomination-1452.html

Given the history of the Republican primary so far, there is possibly time for Gingrich to fall and another candidate to surge to first place. But not much time.
Re: Republican Presidential Contest 12/14/2011 03:54 PM CST
I too am surprised at Gingrich's success - I would have thought his checkered past would have ruled him out.

BUT - I enjoy listening to Gingrich speak, even though I agree with very little he says. I think he is as good aa speaker as Obama, and probably about as good a debater. A smart man.

I am also looking forward to hearing Gingrich represent the party of "family values" in opposition to Obama, who seems to have some notion of what family values are.

Should be a fun campaign. And - against Gingrich - Obama should win handily.

All in all a very satisfactory situation.

Bairyn
Re: Republican Presidential Contest 12/14/2011 05:17 PM CST
<<Should be a fun campaign. And - against Gingrich - Obama should win handily.

All in all a very satisfactory situation.
>>

Yep. I'm going to enjoy laying employees off. Very satisfactory.
Re: Republican Presidential Contest 12/14/2011 05:39 PM CST
If Gingrich gets the nomination, it will be a dream come true for Obama. Gingrich can't win. I think Romney has a shot at beating Obama, but he's the only man on the field right now that I think stands a chance.

Josh
Re: Republican Presidential Contest 12/14/2011 11:03 PM CST
>>Yep. I'm going to enjoy laying employees off. Very satisfactory. <<

I laid off two employees last week. I kept them employed as long as I could by not paying myself for a month, but with most of my large projects now taking place in Canada or Mexico, I finally had to face reality and move on. Hard decision, and painful, but my company will survive and keep a few others employed.

Caden \ adam
Re: Republican Presidential Contest 12/15/2011 07:50 AM CST
>>Yep. I'm going to enjoy laying employees off. Very satisfactory.<<

We stopped working subcontractors about four years ago. I'll grant that may not be as painful as layoffs - I think all but one (two actually, including me) of our people considered the income we provided as supplementary.

Taxes had absolutely NOTHING to do with it. We paid people because we had work for them to do, not because the company had extra money. And we stopped paying them when we had no work for them to do.

Why do you expect to lay people off? The threat of high taxes? Really?

Bairyn
Re: Republican Presidential Contest 12/15/2011 07:55 AM CST
<< Should be a fun campaign. And - against Gingrich - Obama should win handily. >>

I imagine Mitt Romney also underestimated Gingrich. Despite Gingrich's personal problems and lack of campaign discipline, Obama would make a serious mistake to presume an easy victory if Gingrich is the GOP nominee. Gingrich has a history of overcoming large obstacles. And the economy will weigh heavily on Obama's reelection chances.
Re: Republican Presidential Contest 12/15/2011 09:44 AM CST
<< Gingrich has a history of overcoming large obstacles. And the economy will weigh heavily on Obama's reelection chances. >>

So why hasn't he been President yet? He's been running for it for a loooooooooong time. He's good enough to be a contender, but not good enough to actually win.

Josh
Re: Republican Presidential Contest 12/15/2011 07:35 PM CST

<<
Why do you expect to lay people off? The threat of high taxes? Really?
>>

Obamacare.
Re: Republican Presidential Contest 12/16/2011 07:27 AM CST
<< So why hasn't he been President yet? He's been running for it for a loooooooooong time. He's good enough to be a contender, but not good enough to actually win. >> --Josh

This is Gingrich's first presidential campaign. The repeat contenders are Paul and Romney.
Re: Republican Presidential Contest 12/16/2011 11:42 AM CST
<< This is Gingrich's first presidential campaign. The repeat contenders are Paul and Romney. >>

Hrm. I must be confusing him with someone else then. Oh,well :)

I still don't think he can beat Obama. It would be fun to watch him try, if the result of his losing wouldn't be so tragic.

Josh
Re: Republican Presidential Contest 12/16/2011 11:42 AM CST
I have yet to lose business because of Obamacare, but conversely have experienced one of the good measures in it first hand. We plan to hire two people next year, because business has been good. Anyone who thinks healthcare in this country wasn't in need of an overhaul is likely high on elicit drugs, or mentally diluded, or is a whining crybaby in congress. Did we get the overhaul we needed? In some ways yes, in some ways no. Was it voted on and passed by our duely elected representatives? Yes. If you don't like it, my suggestion is that you write to them with some suggestions for a new healthcare bill that will build on the improvements in Obamacare.

Kerl
Re: Republican Presidential Contest 12/16/2011 09:20 PM CST
>>I have yet to lose business because of Obamacare..

I did not lay off employees because of any lost business. I did so primarily because of the complete uncertainty about how the new healthcare policies will affect my business going forward. The amount of money I pay for employee health care premiums, along with other taxes, is staggering. I have the capital and opportunity to expand my company, but with a large number of economists predicting my costs as an employer to rise (despite or because of Obamacare), financially it makes more sense to sit tight, keep lean. I will wait until all the cards are out, and then I can make informed and educated decisions about how to grow my company.

Caden \ adam
Re: Republican Presidential Contest 12/16/2011 09:41 PM CST

<<I have yet to lose business because of Obamacare, but conversely have experienced one of the good measures in it first hand. We plan to hire two people next year, because business has been good. Anyone who thinks healthcare in this country wasn't in need of an overhaul is likely high on elicit drugs, or mentally diluded, or is a whining crybaby in congress. Did we get the overhaul we needed? In some ways yes, in some ways no. Was it voted on and passed by our duely elected representatives? Yes. If you don't like it, my suggestion is that you write to them with some suggestions for a new healthcare bill that will build on the improvements in Obamacare.
>>

I won't lose business because of it, but I will lose money.
Re: Republican Presidential Contest 12/17/2011 07:27 AM CST
>>I imagine Mitt Romney also underestimated Gingrich.<<

I don't think I am underestimating Gingrich. I think both he and Obama are smart, excellent speakers and adept political animals. I would call them evenly matched, and would look forward to that campaign.

But, just as a start...

The advocate for family values is the fellow who abandoned his first wife when she was sick, and admittedly cheated on his second wife?

The advocate for the "hard work" and "get a job" American dream is the fellow who took $1.6M from an agency he supposedly despises to serve as a "historian" for that agency?

The advocate for draconian cuts in Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid is the fellow who maintains a half million dollar charge account at Tiffany's?

That dog won't hunt.

Bairyn
Re: Republican Presidential Contest 12/18/2011 11:06 AM CST
<< That dog won't hunt. >>

Neither will an economy that is still failing hard, gas prices that are still through the roof, and enacted policies that in many cases will make things worse. All four years after promising us change.

Josh