(no subject) 11/18/2011 04:09 PM CST
I had a witty post typed up about the right, and some counterpoints to this post, but I'm just going to go with:

FACEPALM!
Re: (no subject) No subject? Wait, what? Is this line broken for some people? 11/18/2011 08:02 PM CST
Really don't understand the facepalm or the "witty" post that was deleted.

But anyway, yeah, while they do have some valid points, the protestors blow the message with their...activities and look. It's sad that this is all a waste of time, energy and treasure. The utopia these people want will never happen, because at least one person in the world would have to work.
Re: (no subject) No subject? Wait, what? Is this line broken for some people? 11/18/2011 08:07 PM CST
<< But anyway, yeah, while they do have some valid points, the protestors blow the message with their...activities and look. It's sad that this is all a waste of time, energy and treasure. The utopia these people want will never happen, because at least one person in the world would have to work. >>

It's easy to dismiss people because they look different. But consider that people said much the same thing in response to counterculture activities in the 1960s. Activists in the 1960s changed the United States in fundamental ways, and the change was for the better, at least in my opinion.
Re: (no subject) No subject? Wait, what? Is this line broken for some people? 11/18/2011 09:22 PM CST

And, if you remember, people throwing tea in the water a bit ago were considered anarchists.

Bairyn
Re: (no subject) No subject? Wait, what? Is this line broken for some people? 11/19/2011 08:43 AM CST
Watch the November 16th Jon Stewart. The Occupy Wallstreet section was great.

Josh
Re: (no subject) No subject? Wait, what? Is this line broken for some people? 11/19/2011 02:05 PM CST
I tend to agree with the core ideas behind occupy wall street, but a lot of the protests themselves are misdirected, miscommunicated and misexecuted. It is essentially a party for bored college/post-college kids. That's not to say good won't come of it -- I think some good already has, but we'll have to see next November -- it's just that I don't have a whole lot of personal/individual support/sympathy for the protesters themselves.

- Greminty
Re: (no subject) No subject? Wait, what? Is this line broken for some people? 11/20/2011 09:48 AM CST
Here's a photo of one of the hippies being arrested:

http://thinkprogress.org/special/2011/11/19/372825/photo-retired-philadelphia-police-chief-ray-lewis-arrested-at-occupy-wall-street/
Re: (no subject) No subject? Wait, what? Is this line broken for some people? 11/20/2011 05:56 PM CST

Yep. Hippy. Or is it hippie?

I wonder if they charged him with impersonating a law enforcement officer? Looks like a uniform and maybe a badge. Could be fakes, but still, if he is retired....
Re: (no subject) No subject? Wait, what? Is this line broken for some people? 11/28/2011 05:13 PM CST
One of the more interesting things watching the OWS movement is the fact that the media keeps trying to portray occupy as a bunch of college students complaining about their loans. They totally ignore the older people in the movement. They ignore the economists that have joined the movement. They ignore the war vets that have joined the movement. They use ageism and selective interviews to try to downplay what Occupy Wall Street is about.

Occupy's message isn't simple because there are a lot of things wrong with this country. That being said, the media intentionally tries to portray it as more muddled than it really is and I feel like they ignore a lot of the basic issues the occupy movement is protesting. This is about people losing the ability to have the American Dream. This is about employers telling you that you have to have a College education in order to get a decent paying job. They don't mention that you're going to have to go into $40,000+ of debt doing so. Yes, you have a choice. You can work at walmart and mcdonalds if you don't want to get that college education. I know people who have 15+ years of experience in the semiconductor industry who can't get jobs because they don't have that basic degree. It's not so simple to say 'oh, it's your fault for going into debt.' Employers don't want to hire people without the piece of paper. And with the economy the way it is, they don't have to.

There's a lot of other issues occupy is trying to bring to light. It's no longer one person, one vote. Now it's one dollar, one vote. It takes money to get elected. That causes those who are in high positions of government to become indebted to their contributors. But it's not just that. They also benefit monetarily from their positions of power. There's currently no laws on preventing the senate from insider trading. (Or members of the Supreme Court.) There's issues with the patriot act and the amount of power it gives the government to spy on their own citizens. Warrantless wiretaps. They can GPS track your car without having to prove reasonable cause.

Occupy's issue isn't that they don't know what they're complaining about and that it's all just a fun way to spend time in a tent. Their problem is that they have too many issues to complain about. That this country is so messed up that it's impossible to focus on one issue over the others.

</rant>