The Mathematical Case Against the Electoral College 11/13/2011 07:55 AM CST
This is a good video to bookmark for future reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wC42HgLA4k

It explains that, contrary to popular belief, the electoral college does not cause presidential candidates to pay disproportionate attention to states with small populations.

The video explains that historically the electoral college has produced a 5% failure rate. How would the country react if the scoring system for a sporting event had a 5% failure rate. For example, how would people feel if at the end of every basketball game, we rolled a 20-sided die and, if the result was 1, then we awarded the game to the team with the lower score?

I learned about the above video at http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2011/11/still-time-to-abolish-electoral-college-.html
Re: The Mathematical Case Against the Electoral College 11/13/2011 11:38 AM CST
It's not the population that's the issue. It's that they ignore States with large populations and who are set with a specific party. California is a prime example. We vote Democratic, despite a ton of Republicans here. We are virtually ignored except as a wallet for the Democrats because every single electoral vote is already in the hands of the Democratic candidate. Without the Electoral College, both sides would have to court voters here.

Josh
Re: The Mathematical Case Against the Electoral College 11/15/2011 06:36 AM CST
I found the notion in Kardios' video that a candidate could win the presidency with over 70% of the popular vote against him or her even more upsetting than the 5% failure rate.

Splitting the state electoral college votes according to the popular vote within each state would be a less drastic step - and one that I think the states themselves could decide to do. That would allay any fears that rural areas might be neglected.

However, I suppose a state dominated by one party is probably unlikely to want to change its "winner take all" allocation.

Bairyn
Re: The Mathematical Case Against the Electoral College 11/15/2011 01:02 PM CST
<< Splitting the state electoral college votes according to the popular vote within each state would be a less drastic step - and one that I think the states themselves could decide to do. That would allay any fears that rural areas might be neglected.>>

Maine and Nebraska do something similar with the popular vote of each congressional district decidng to whom the electoral vote of that district goes. I believe there are also some other States who are willing to do this, but only if other States or every other State agreeing to do this. Until then, they won't go that route.

Josh