Aiming Polearms 10/29/2008 11:03 AM CDT
I know that large, "unwieldy" weapons are difficult to aim. This worst of them allegedly being lances and awl-pikes. I had assumed this meant the base RT of a weapon was a good indicator of how difficult it would be to aim.

Does anyone know otherwise? Perhaps ALL polearms are penalized?

I picked up a javelin (4 base rt) and started stabbing stuff, and couldn't aim it for the life of me. Even got a few parries. This was a 24 paladin vs. 20 warcats. I don't recall warcats being small, or difficult to aim at. Maybe that was it, though.

I understand there are other factors, training, target critter, injuries, aim location, whatever. Just trusting that I've covered those to the degree that I succeed with comparable weapons, can anyone tell me if they know or have heard of testing on javelins' melee aiming ability? Are all polearms inherently difficult to aim, even pilums?

-Tibby, who wants to stab things in the eyes
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/02/2008 08:06 PM CST
In general the base RT is an indication of a weapon being easier or more difficult to aim but it isn't entirely conclusive. The design of a weapon is very important also. Picture what the weapon really looks like and how it functions in combat compared to others in its class and you can usually make a fairly educated guess as to how much easier or harder it will be to aim. Compare a javelin to a pilum using all the above info (and looking at the website).

Zyllah

p.s. At level 24 lack of skill training can have a large affect on success or lack thereof, especially keeping in mind that eyes are a very difficult target. My level 19 ranger singled in CM and ambush still has trouble with just legs. ;)
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/02/2008 11:11 PM CST
Thanks for the response, Zyl.

My only extensive experience with open aiming was also a ranger, but that was in GS3. She singled CM and ambush and was consistently legging steel golems with one of those woodsman's hatchets at 19 back then.

Of course, hatchets are slower (5 base RT) than javelins (4 base RT), but steel golems are huge, so probably easy to aim at.

My paladin, being 1x in paladin base spells, and constantly using 1611, is essentially a full 1.5x in CM, but 0 ranks in ambush. I'm just really hoping my number of ranks outweigh my target's level, so that eventually (sooner rather than later?) I can aim reliably.

-Tibby, still wanting to stab stuff in the eye
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/02/2008 11:15 PM CST
Oh, and when I picture a javelin, I imagine a fairly precise weapon. A pilum of course more so (assuming a pilum is basically a smaller javelin: I'm not even sure there's a difference in RL).

-Tibby, who just levelled while writing this post
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/04/2008 07:34 PM CST
Keep in mind that a javelin isn't a pole arm, but is in fact a thrown weapon.
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/04/2008 07:57 PM CST
According to Simu, it's a polearm, and as such requires training in Polearms to use.

~Imaera's Favorite
~Polepaths don't go hunting...Polepaths go killing.
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/04/2008 09:19 PM CST
You got your chocolate in my peanut butter!

Salim

>>Force without justice is violence,
>>Justice without force is weakness.
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/04/2008 09:21 PM CST
Javelins are wierd... I remember I found a rhimar javelin at the end of GS3 when the treasure hopper was cranked up - it inspects as a thrown weapon. But I also have come across javelins inspected as polearms.. they really are odd.

Xatier

Richard the Mayor of a Little Village up the Coast "I'm a Bearlock now."
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/04/2008 10:15 PM CST
>You got your chocolate in my peanut butter!

<twitch> Thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU...for bringing that commercial top-of-mind for probably the next week and a half... <sigh> [/sarcasm]

>Javelins are wierd... I remember I found a rhimar javelin at the end of GS3 when the treasure hopper was cranked up - it inspects as a thrown weapon. But I also have come across javelins inspected as polearms.. they really are odd.

Like naginatas. Some used to inspect as actual naginatas, others as halberds. They were all fixed to read as naginatas.

~Imaera's Favorite...who now has peanut butter in his chocolate
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/05/2008 03:12 AM CST
>Like naginatas. Some used to inspect as actual naginatas, others as halberds. They were all fixed to read as naginatas.

Some old ones still inspect as halberds. You can convert them in the misty boxes in weapon shops and it will reduce the enchant by 20 and increase the DF by 20.

Droit
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/05/2008 06:21 AM CST
True. What I meant was that the fix made all new-style ones to read as naginatas. Semantics :P

~Imaera's Favorite
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/05/2008 07:21 AM CST
"increase the DF by 20." -- Droit

Where "DF" actually reads "AvD".
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/05/2008 09:56 AM CST
I have yet to see a javelin in GS4 that reads as a polearm. The ones I've seen (and have) all inspect as thrown weapons. They still use polearm skill.

-Tibby, not trained in thrown weapons
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/05/2008 12:28 PM CST
>Where "DF" actually reads "AvD".

Heh. Thanks. It was late.

Droit
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/05/2008 03:25 PM CST
Well I'll be...

>inspect jav
You carefully inspect your mithglin javelin.

After a careful inspection you determine that a well-balanced mithglin javelin requires skill in thrown weapons to use effectively.

It looks like this item has been mainly crafted out of mithglin.

>throw jav at vel
You can't throw that here.
>throw jav
You can't throw that here.
>
A velnalin snorts as she slowly backs away.

>att vel
You thrust with a well-balanced mithglin javelin at a velnalin!
AS: +189 vs DS: +32 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +14 = +199
... and hit for 56 points of damage!
Elbow punctured, oh what pain!
The velnalin collapses to the ground, emits a final sigh, and dies.

~Imaera's Favorite
~Polepaths don't go hunting...Polepaths go killing (even with throw weapons...)
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/05/2008 03:29 PM CST
You might want to try using the HURL verb to throw the javelin.

Gretchen

Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/05/2008 03:40 PM CST
It's "hurl <target>", in the same manner that you would "attack <target>".

So in this case, "hurl velnalin".

Voraviel "They [demons] are only vulnerable to 7x weapons, and--"
Krakii "8x."
Voraviel "Isn't it 7x?"
Krakii "Pretty sure it's 8x."
Voraviel "Hell, I'm the designer and I'll go with what you said."

Re: Aiming Polearms 11/05/2008 06:44 PM CST
<insert Homer Simpson mumble> Stupid hurling...

Hence...why Chirps is a Polepath, and not a Throwpath:)

~Imaera's Favorite
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/06/2008 02:09 PM CST
I'm pretty sure a DF of 20 would mean the critter would explode into a red mist just from looking at your weapon. :)

~Flamma
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/07/2008 01:43 AM CST
I could be wrong about this since I've never used one, but I think javelins are a bit of an odd weapon in that you can use them with either polearm training or thrown weapon training. They started out as a polearm class weapon and then were changed to be under the thrown weapon category.

And yeah my understanding is that in design they are very similar to a pilum, but that a pilum is shorter and more appropriate for closer fighting.

Zyllah
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/07/2008 04:47 AM CST
When they converted jav's to thrown base, I think they stopped using pole skill to determine parry DS. It is only used for AS.

Menos
AIM: GS4Menos

>Rightly to be great
>Is not to stir without great argument,
>But greatly to find quarrel in a straw
>When honour's at the stake.
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/07/2008 09:08 AM CST
Technically, a pilum was rather heavy, with a triangular head designed to pierce armor or shield. Some versions also had a very soft iron neck; it was designed to penetrate an enemy shield when thrown, and then bend at the neck. The pilum was then stuck in the shield. This would encumber the foe so that they often had to drop the shield in mid combat.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/07/2008 09:31 AM CST
>When they converted jav's to thrown base, I think they stopped using pole skill to determine parry DS. It is only used for AS.

Wow. That completely sucks. I will test this, and if it is so, there goes the whole melee javelin character concept. Tell me pilums aren't the same!

-Tibby, sad
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/07/2008 06:29 PM CST
A pilum should work the same as any normal polearm. However, a one handed spear or trident will work much better if you want to kill anything with it.

Menos
AIM: GS4Menos

>Rightly to be great
>Is not to stir without great argument,
>But greatly to find quarrel in a straw
>When honour's at the stake.
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/08/2008 06:01 PM CST
Yeah, but the base RT of javelins and pilums appeal to more unique character concepts. Additionally, the ability to reliably aim a weapon that only punctures can be neat for those eye crits.

Doesn't matter now, I'm migrating to blunt weapons. I was willing to spend the extra TPs on polearms even if not taking advantage of the heavy hitters, for the uniqueness factor and conceptual appeal, but I didn't wanna shoot myself in the foot that badly.

Thanks, all, for the discussion.

-Tibby
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/08/2008 06:09 PM CST
>Doesn't matter now, I'm migrating to blunt weapons.

That makes me sad:( Best of luck though!

~Imaera's Favorite
Re: Aiming Polearms 11/10/2008 02:01 PM CST
Don't get me wrong, I love polearms. But my paladin is just not the character to do it with. Besides, I've played many, many pole characters in the past. Even before it became as viable as it is now, I just liked the concept, and disliked the idea of being "another claidh swinger". So they just don't excite me like they used to. I thought it would be neat to go for 1handed poles in conjunction with focused mstrike and aiming, but a paladin has a hard time pulling off the training for all that. 1x MOC: 5/2, 1x Ambush: 4/5, 1x CM: 5/4 or 5/2. Poles are 15/6 to double, as opposed to 12/6 for 2handers and 9/3 for OHB or OHE, or 12/3 for brawling. As a semi, paladins have other stuff to spend on. Like most paladins, I ignored the .75x recommendation and went for 1x, so thats 0/27 per level, with 0/5 harness power and I really want some lores for 0/7. And for physical points, I could put those extra physical into tripling armor use, since I'm getting hit in warcamps with or without a shield, and AU will give me more immediate returns than the redux from physical training (which I'd like to triple later for stamina/redux).

Long story, but basically polearms are costly enough, without adding shield use to the equation. I'll save that training path for when I reactivate my old warrior and fixskills him. He can afford it, and besides, he's an elf so he'll be fun with any polearm.

Tibby, who also feels sad leaving poles behind