natural bonuses? 04/04/2008 11:37 AM CDT
Hi everyone, I just had a quick question about lances...anyone know if they have natural bonuses on top of any enchants they may have? I am pretty sure that naginatas are naturally +20 (so a 4x naginata would be +40, if i remember correctly) I was just wondering if lances also have an innate bonus. Thanks

-Kades
Re: natural bonuses? 04/04/2008 11:51 AM CDT
Old naginatas work that way. New naginatas do not. The +20 that used to be applied to the "plus" is now applied to the AvD.

~
GM Emeradan
GS4-EMERADAN@PLAY.NET
GemStone IV Forums
~
"The Watchdog."
~
GemStone IV: One MMORPG to Rule Them All.
Re: natural bonuses? 04/04/2008 12:02 PM CDT
ahhhhh, I see....so does that mean that lances don't have the innate +20 to AS either?

I am asking because I am in my 30 day training grace period so I am testing out different fighting styles. I was previously trying out polearms and my AS was 263 (maybe 248?) i don't remember if i had strength on for 263.

anyway, now without strength and with twc-brawling my AS is 232 for my main hand and 227 for my off-hand (i'm not quite doubled with second hand, fully doubled with right hand)

Right hand fist-scythe is +12, left hand fist-scythe is +15. lance was either 4 or 5x. (although my AS in defensive stance with the lance and no polearm training is +40)

-Kades
Re: natural bonuses? 04/04/2008 12:27 PM CDT
>ahhhhh, I see....so does that mean that lances don't have the innate +20 to AS either?

Nope, they just hit hella hard. ::grin::

Zephore O'Dane - Dunespire@aol.com

Carabele's Lore Benefits Summation Chart at...
http://carabele.com/odds/LoreBenefits.htm

Krakiipedia at...
http://www.krakiipedia.org

Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository at...
http://www.nilandia.com
Re: natural bonuses? 04/04/2008 05:03 PM CDT
Grrrr, naginatas.

Okay, story time. Once upon a time, Tykel's weaponshop sold naginatas in their backroom. These were special, magical natinatas that had a "natural" +20 bonus, meaning they could be elementally bladed to add another +20, and flares. NEAT! These naginatas were halberd based.

So, around the time of GS4, it was decided naginatas should have their own weapon base. And it was done. The weapon base was identical to the halberd base, except for +20 AvD across the board. To convert a naginata from "old" style to "new" style, you would lose 20 points of AS from the enchantment, which would be "added" to the AvD.

All well and good for Tykel naginatas, which were like 5k. Totally uncool for any magical metal naginata obtained from a non-Tykel source.

You kick Jenovadeath!
>
Jenovadeath seems a bit less imposing.
Re: natural bonuses? 04/04/2008 10:57 PM CDT
<<All well and good for Tykel naginatas, which were like 5k. Totally uncool for any magical metal naginata obtained from a non-Tykel source.>>

It should still work the same. For instance, if you had an old style mithril naginata, once converted it should have a +5 enchant and the additional +20 AvD. The auto-converter has problems though. So if you have a magic metal naginata that didn't convert correctly you can assist to get a referral to have a GM fix it.

Zyllah
Re: natural bonuses? 04/06/2008 09:52 AM CDT
I did that for one naginata, but was under the impression it was a one time thing. Which stinks, as I purchased a lot of the mithril-reinforced naginatas from Sare's Emporium at the most recent Ebon Gate, only to find out they're actually halberds. Grrrr. Now to get them to even be proper 1x naginatas, I'll have to convert them, then enchant them four times. Then 3 more times if I want them to be +20 naginatas.

You kick Jenovadeath!
>
Re: natural bonuses? 04/06/2008 01:39 PM CDT
<<I did that for one naginata, but was under the impression it was a one time thing. Which stinks, as I purchased a lot of the mithril-reinforced naginatas from Sare's Emporium at the most recent Ebon Gate, only to find out they're actually halberds. Grrrr. Now to get them to even be proper 1x naginatas, I'll have to convert them, then enchant them four times. Then 3 more times if I want them to be +20 naginatas.>>

It would be worth assisting to have it looked into. A halberd-based weapon shouldn't be called a naginata at any recent merchants. It's possible they were overlooked by QC or something.

Zyllah
Re: natural bonuses? 04/06/2008 02:47 PM CDT
I can only assume they were overlooked, as there were 2 other naginatas sold at the same event with the proper naginata base. I emailed feedback concerning the shop, and was told it was passed along to the owner. Hopefully they'll be fixed for Ebon Gate this year, if the shop makes a re-appearance.

As for assisting, I did once to convert one of them, but I was under the impression it was a one time thing, as I asked about future ones and was told I'd have to do it the hard way.

You kick Jenovadeath!
>
Re: natural bonuses? 04/12/2008 09:40 AM CDT
<<As for assisting, I did once to convert one of them, but I was under the impression it was a one time thing, as I asked about future ones and was told I'd have to do it the hard way.>>

I'm not sure what was meant by the hard way. You can convert them in the auto-converter and then if they don't convert correctly please do get a referral to get them fixed. You shouldn't be penalized for a mistake when they were created. Unless there's something else I'm missing that would make them not eligible to be fixed?

Zyllah
Re: natural bonuses? 04/13/2008 02:09 PM CDT
>>I'm not sure what was meant by the hard way. You can convert them in the auto-converter and then if they don't convert correctly please do get a referral to get them fixed. You shouldn't be penalized for a mistake when they were created. Unless there's something else I'm missing that would make them not eligible to be fixed?

The hard way would be converting them, taking the -20 AS, and then enchanting them back to where they should be (a total of 7 enchantments, from -15 AS to +20 AS where I want them). I inquired about future naginata conversions when I had a referral for the one I converted. I was told, yes, they would go to -15 AS total if converted, and that I would have to enchant them back up, and that the one being converted manually was basically a one time thing.

You kick Jenovadeath!
>
Re: natural bonuses? 08/25/2008 12:25 PM CDT
>So, around the time of GS4, it was decided naginatas should have their own weapon base. And it was done. The weapon >base was identical to the halberd base, except for +20 AvD across the board. To convert a naginata from "old" style >to "new" style, you would lose 20 points of AS from the enchantment, which would be "added" to the AvD.

>All well and good for Tykel naginatas, which were like 5k. Totally uncool for any magical metal naginata obtained >from a non-Tykel source.

Also a pain in the ass for those of us trained in poles from back then who still use naginatas. After I managed to ruin one of my old style naginatas with a very stupid elemental dispel to remove a fire flaring e-blade I bought another from Tykel to find out these unliked changes. 20 from AS to AVD, manageable, only problem is, Specialization I and Weapon Bonding do not play nice between old naginatas and new. Grr. Time to check my locker and pray I had an extra old style stashed away.
Re: natural bonuses? 10/28/2008 11:52 AM CDT
>I bought another from Tykel to find out these unliked changes...

Does that mean we can still buy them from Tykel? I wanna be sure, since the new weapon base, and the change in Tykel's inventory, before I buy backroom access.

-Tibby, wants a new-fangled naginata
Re: natural bonuses? 10/29/2008 06:05 AM CDT
Yes. Putting the other Poster's situation aside, new-style ones are much better.

~Imaera's Favorite
~Polepaths don't go hunting...Polepaths go killing.