Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/08/2006 03:28 AM CST
>Of course as Gordd pointed out, that doesn't make to much of a difference for lances when hurling anyways apparently.

Awl-pikes Seaweed, awl-pikes...hurling lances is fairly painful though in a fit of Dwarven surliness, Gordd is known to send his flying.

>p.s.: HAHAHAHA @ dwarves. :)

One day, some superiorly demented GM is going to implement CMAN Head/Groinbutt for Dwarfs...and when they do...well, you really are towards the bottom of a long list. Of course, Eug-ioh takes up like half the slots alone...

>In closing I'd like to note that level 35 is pretty low as far as aiming ability is concerned. My character couldn't aim his falchion too reliably at level 35 either, but I would say falchions are quite aimable with 2x CM training in the fullness of time.

I thought Seaweed said his plan had ambush in addition to 1x CM?

-Gordd
"Others complained the ads could be offensive to the poor and homeless who can't afford to buy sweet treats." ~ AP News article
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/08/2006 05:00 AM CST
>Awl-pikes Seaweed, awl-pikes...hurling lances is fairly painful though in a fit of Dwarven surliness, Gordd is known to send his flying.

Read my second post;) Weight is what I was referring to, if it only takes 1 or 2 shots with a lance, vs 3 or 4 with spears, that is less weapons you need to carry to even out the weight.

>I thought Seaweed said his plan had ambush in addition to 1x CM?

It does, which is why I also posted about my Bard with no ambush and less perception that is fairly accurate with twin longswords at only 5 trains up from the rogue. So a difference of 5 ranks of CM and a LOT of ambush and perception in that training plan.

Seablade and Seablaede
The Ashrim
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/08/2006 05:06 AM CST
>Read my second post;) Weight is what I was referring to, if it only takes 1 or 2 shots with a lance, vs 3 or 4 with spears, that is less weapons you need to carry to even out the weight.

Ahh rgr...I thought we were still talking wonky RT's. Back to mind numbingly boring websurfing, I expect to find the end of the internet shortly.

-Gordd

"Others complained the ads could be offensive to the poor and homeless who can't afford to buy sweet treats." ~ AP News article
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/08/2006 06:24 AM CST
>Back to mind numbingly boring websurfing, I expect to find the end of the internet shortly.

Take a left at the web2.0 validator, go three sites, and make a right. You shouldn't be able to miss it.

Seablade and Seablaede
The Ashrim

Lab Monitor Jobs get boring on occasion;)
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/08/2006 06:36 AM CST
>ake a left at the web2.0 validator, go three sites, and make a right. You shouldn't be able to miss it.

Turns out there's a rather large lance at the end of that alley and if you pull it, it opens up a secret cyberspace rift.

-Bordd

Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/08/2006 09:05 PM CST
>I thought Seaweed said his plan had ambush in addition to 1x CM?

The point was that what is aimable or not at level 35 is not a fair indicator of what is aimable with any particular training.

>I will also say that 1x in CMan with no ambush allows me to aim me dual longswords strokes decently well since about 40 trains -Seablade

I'm pretty sure what you consider decent isn't what I consider reliable, but this is really a discussion for when I solve the open aiming formula.

-Anathemus' player
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/17/2006 10:07 PM CST
<< It is also absolutely devestating, particularly focused MSTRIKES. If you have access to imbeds and MIU, burning a charge of Haste is well worth it to unleash a huge MSTRIKE in certain situations. >>

I was under the impression (from usage of the spell) that MSTRIKE caused haste to drop immediatly.

Also Ambush with a strong polearm to the head followed by a quick shot to both eyes is far more effective than a focused MSTRIKE or open mstrike. It allows for adjustment of stance once you weaken the foe with a head stun. Also stops their ability to prepare spells. Useful in later stages especially for SEMI's and SQUAREZ.

Justin
strongarm, polearm.
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/17/2006 10:20 PM CST
>I was under the impression (from usage of the spell) that MSTRIKE caused haste to drop immediatly.

Right...that's why he said "burn a charge of haste", meaning one wouldn't get the full use out of it.

>Also Ambush with a strong polearm to the head followed by a quick shot to both eyes is far more effective...

I'm not sure what you consider a "strong" polearm, but any polearm that requires three AIMed shots to kill isn't very strong or effective in my book. That's roughly 15-18second for those three shots...

>....than a focused MSTRIKE or open mstrike.

For my purposes and hunting areas, either of these two is going to be much MUCH more effective then AIMing will and in some cases faster as well. Considering I can do an average of 100+ points damage per swing, I'd say I'll be safe from most things attacking me before my RT is up.
Of course, there's room for both options in any characters arsenal of tactics. Neither is ALWAYS going to be the perfect fit for every fight, though I'd lean more towards MStrike then open AIMing. There's to much randomness in the combat system for me to use AIMing for much outside of undead or hurling.

-Gordd

Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/17/2006 10:29 PM CST
<<
I'm not sure what you consider a "strong" polearm, but any polearm that requires three AIMed shots to kill isn't very strong or effective in my book. That's roughly 15-18second for those three shots...
>>

Considerations that need to be made are thus. If you're focus MSTRIKing a single target and it is the only target in the room, sure, that's great.

If it's not and you put yourself in 11-12 seconds of RT in offensive and then you get put into further RT or stun from a solid hit or manuever you could be in serious trouble.

MOST creatures can take one shot to the eye from a lance and be smoked. The only few that I've heard of that can't are constructs and some other heavily crit padded creatures.

A 2+ point damager to the head will put a spell user out of business, which is why I suggested the use of head shots.

Put a spear or lance in somethings eye it is game over. For the most part lances are going to be difficult to put in the eye, head is a bit easier to aim for. If you 2x ambush and CMANs you shouldn't have a terrible amount of trouble pushing your lance into an eyeball.

Lets look at a hypothetical example:

You're in a room with 3 critters. You MSTRIKE. Hit each once. Two are stunned, yer in 11 second RT and one gets to take two free shots. If it's a spell user and it is capable of conjuring the warrior in me wants to cry like a baby at this point.

Second scenario: You rub your haste imbed and thrust into three eyes in under 7 seconds. 95% chance for that eye shot if you're trained properly for it. If not I'll still take a 75% chance for immediate death over a few possible stuns from open MSTRIKEs

That's just my opinion however, just putting in my two cents for possible training paths. I see MSTRIKE as a total no-go for two-hand pole users. One hand is a TOTALLY different story.

-Justin
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/17/2006 10:49 PM CST
Keep in mind I'm being argumentative for arguments sake here...that and I'm really bordd!

>MOST creatures can take one shot to the eye from a lance and be smoked. The only few that I've heard of that can't are constructs and some other heavily crit padded creatures.

To my knowledge, not to many people out there are ambushing/AIMing with lances, so saying that "MOST creatures...be smoked" from lances is sorta dubious. However, I do enjoy AIMed hurling with my lance from time to time and I assure you I'm pretty well trained for that style. Even then, the random nature of criticals is such that nothing is getting smoked on a consistant basis. Possibly due to the puncture crits of lances, but that's just a guess. Though you're right, they are about impossible to AIM at the eyes with.

>A 2+ point damager to the head will put a spell user out of business, which is why I suggested the use of head shots.

Yeah......I'm gonna need you to double check this TSP report...Urm, I mean, revise this statement. 2+ many more points damage to the head maybe, but even then. Random criticals baby! Sorta like me taking a hurled aimed claidhmore with a 200+ endroll to the head that didn't kill me. Most would think it an automatic...::shrugs::

>If it's not and you put yourself in 11-12 seconds of RT in offensive and then you get put into further RT or stun from a solid hit or manuever you could be in serious trouble.

Tactics, tactics, tactics, nothing is certain or guaranteed. What if your headshot only causes a rank one wound? You're just as screwed. Plus, there's not much out there that's going to seriously blast me due to a fubar'd MStrike. Why you may ask? Because I'm not going MStrike a room full of creatures before I disable/smote something that's seriously dangerous to me in the first place. Again, back to tactics.

>You're in a room with 3 critters. You MSTRIKE. Hit each once. Two are stunned, yer in 11 second RT and one gets to take two free shots. If it's a spell user and it is capable of conjuring the warrior in me wants to cry like a baby at this point.

The warrior in you should cry for being to silly as to MStrike before disabling the caster/s.

>Second scenario: You rub your haste imbed and thrust into three eyes in under 7 seconds. 95% chance for that eye shot if you're trained properly for it. If not I'll still take a 75% chance for immediate death over a few possible stuns from open MSTRIKEs

Again, 7s even hasted is going to be pushing it and likely impossible for all but the quickest out there. And even if you hit all three in the eye, you're not guaranteed a kill, decent stun or incapacitation. Whereas in certain situations, taking out 300+ health from a creature in one fell swoop is fairly certain to cause them to pause.

-Bordd

Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/18/2006 06:22 AM CST
<<Keep in mind I'm being argumentative for arguments sake here...that and I'm really bordd!>>

Ditto +2 :P

<<To my knowledge, not to many people out there are ambushing/AIMing with lances>>

Well, one can't use the AIM verb as all shots with lances will be from the open. However aimed open ambush with a lance really IS possible. Especially if you dump all those frivolous hurl ranks -DUCKS AND RUNS-

<<even then, the random nature of criticals is such that nothing is getting smoked on a consistant basis.>>

Criticals really aren't "random". Look at bow users. They know that they're going to have a 95% crit shot to the eye (excluding those creatures which are puncture immune or crit padded). Lets say you DON'T crit kill. Solid endroll to the eye is going to roll out huge damage.

<<2+ many more points damage to the head maybe>>

SORRY! I meant RANK TWO WOUND. Not 2+ damage. Oi. See what I get for debating at 1AM?

<<The warrior in you should cry for being to silly as to MStrike before disabling the caster/s.>>

True. I should have phrased that as.. "You MSTRIKE and put yourself in an 11 second RT when a friendly shaman trundles in screaming its head off"

I've never really been much for MSTRIKE. Unless its two handed brawling and I know I'm going to come out of it in less than 8 seconds... anything else is too long for me personally. I like to have the option to switch rooms if things get to heated between my first eye pop and my second.

<<Again, 7s even hasted is going to be pushing it and likely impossible for all but the quickest out there.>>

This is true of LANCES yes. But with spears it really shouldn't be too difficult. Spears are much easier to aim.

I think this discussion has moved heavily into the LANCE ONLY sector. And really, while lances are the big powerhouse of the weapon class-- if you pop and eye it is popped. If you can crit with an arrow, critting with any polearm is going to be just as effective. While your AvD with that spear is less, if you can sneak it into an eye socket 50% more often than your lance I'd pick it up and use it without delay.

But as you said, tactics are the all key.

Now, that being said, I'm going to go run around with my battle axe weilding rogue and lop some heads off. Skrew eyes.

-Justin
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/18/2006 08:17 AM CST
Remind me sometime to throw a lance on my Bard just for grins and giggles and see how he does mstriking, RT wise. I would be willing to bet slightly better than the RTs mentioned here thus far at any rate, but I am interested to see.

Seablade and Seablaede
The Ashrim

Not a lance user.
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/18/2006 11:12 AM CST
>Remind me sometime to throw a lance on my Bard just for grins and giggles and see how he does mstriking, RT wise.

Well, for Gordd it's: 6s normal, 11s double, 15s triple, I really wanna say 21 for the quad, but that doesn't seem right. That's at maxxed DEX/AGI for a dwarf as well so I'd assume a elf could get 1-2 off each of those.

Course, I've also done 60s+ MStrikes with the lance because well...I'm not so worried about getting hit back sometimes, bleeding lets ya know your alive!

-Gordd

Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/18/2006 11:16 AM CST
Ok I don't think I have done 60 seconds yet, just to tough to get that high for my elf;)

Ok so then it looks like my Rogue would be 2 seconds off your numbers if he trained in MStrike. To be honest something seems a bit screwy with your numbers though. They don't seem to follow a progression, how sure are you those are all correct?

Seablade and Seablaede
The Ashrim

Could just be trying to apply logic to a situation where none exists;)
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/18/2006 11:20 AM CST
>To be honest something seems a bit screwy with your numbers though. They don't seem to follow a progression, how sure are you those are all correct?

I know the 6, 11, and 15 are, I could be wrong about the 21. Then again, I have a nasty habit of hitting MStrike .000000000002 seconds after surge wears off. Have the same habit when hurling my lance as well. Nothing like being thrown to your knees for that lil woopsie.

-Gordd

Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/18/2006 11:30 AM CST
>Nothing like being thrown to your knees for that lil woopsie.

Yep, that does suck....

This is also why Combat Mobility is so nice;)

Seablade and Seablaede
The Ashrim

At least till you run outta stamina.
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/18/2006 12:00 PM CST
>At least till you run outta stamina.

Heh, Dwarf + Warrior + 105 STR & CO + 2x PT = generally more stamina then I know what to do with except for the most intense invasions. Well, that and going Berserk-happy while hunting.

-Gordd

Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/18/2006 12:51 PM CST
Just a little FYI...

A bard's Song of Tonis (1035) has a haste effect (up to -3 seconds with air lore), and it does NOT drop when Mstrike is used.

Of course, it requires 35 mana, not 6, but it's still something worth noting if you're an mstriking bard, or an mstriker who regularly hunts with a bard.

~ Lumi

And.. an empath has the chance to boneshatter someone. That's pretty violent.

Accidents happen to pacifists too, you know.
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/18/2006 01:10 PM CST
In addition to costing 35 mana (a fair cost for something that remains in effect even after the 6 mana Haste gets wiped by an MStrike) it:
- gives Dodge ranks while it's running, too, and
- affects the whole group rather than a single target.

Player: "Hey I know Krakii's last name now!"
Wife: "-Pedia?"
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/18/2006 06:33 PM CST
- gives Dodge ranks while it's running, too, and
- affects the whole group rather than a single target.

It's an amazing spell.

With air lores it really ranks up that dodge and that RT drop.

Gotta love the pocket bard. Wish I had one.

Any volunteers?

:D
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/23/2006 07:57 PM CST
My bard is a polearmer and I MSTRIKE. I will post her training in a bit when I can get her in.

My Rogue is much better as she uses a dagger.
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/23/2006 08:20 PM CST
>>My bard is a polearmer and I MSTRIKE.<<

Song of Tonis running?
Re: Polearm Training Plan 12/24/2006 08:02 AM CST
Sometimes. But not always. She primarily hunts undead in bonspear right now. And she can usually get a stun on whatever she hits. so I do not worry too much on the swarms while she is in rt.

J
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page