Prev_page Previous 1
Lance 03/07/2006 07:54 AM CST
Does anyone know where you can find a lance in a shop in or off a critter around Icemule?
Re: Lance 03/07/2006 07:57 AM CST
I have a forged trident in my shop, not a lance but kinda close.

Strahetya
Master of all weapon types!
Email me at scottnelson911@play.net for an order. I offer a discount to people buying their first mithril weapon and to PROs if their reason is good enough.
www.myspace.com/nathan429
Re: Lance 03/07/2006 08:50 AM CST
>Does anyone know where you can find a lance in a shop in or off a critter around Icemule?

I checked the merchant listings on nilandia.com (very handy site), and didn't see any "off the shelf" lance-based weapons in Icemule. I also don't know of any critters that swing a lance. Your best, and only, bet at this point is probably playershops.com
Re: Lance 03/07/2006 09:13 AM CST
Last I checked they sold plain lances in the Solhaven arms shop (in North Market Southeast, I believe). I think they also have something like whorl-marked dark ora lances in the dark building along Lornon Way in South 'Haven.

AIM: LastMinutePrayer
Email: Play.net address

Moredin says, "I got an idea."
You say, "Uhoh."
Katrian softly says, "Uh oh."
Re: Lance 03/07/2006 09:15 AM CST
I've got a critter-found opal*-*inlaid mithril lance kickin around in my locker.

You're welcome to it.

CH

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Re: Lance 03/07/2006 03:41 PM CST
>>I have a forged trident in my shop, not a lance but kinda close.<<

Grippable weapon, not as hard hitting.

Doesn't one of those undead types in Varunar use lances? Haven't been there in ages, but I sort of recall something of the sort.

Re: Lance 03/07/2006 07:23 PM CST
I think the skeletal lords in Varunar use lances.

AIM: LastMinutePrayer
Email: Play.net address

Moredin says, "I got an idea."
You say, "Uhoh."
Katrian softly says, "Uh oh."
Naginata Vs. Lance 07/18/2006 05:26 PM CDT
Was wondering which one was better (damage output/time) Naginata or Lance (especially if you can only swing a lance in 6 secs and not 5). Thanks,please discuss.
Re: Naginata Vs. Lance 07/18/2006 05:30 PM CDT
Lances are slow and ugly... Naginitas are quick and graceful. What matters the most is killing things with style and looking good doing it.

Aduro Terrarun - Mage Priest of Cingh
Volaticus Tamamushi - Winged Warrior of Honor
Asmodea Drey'Haus - Annoying Pain in the Arse
Re: Naginata Vs. Lance 07/18/2006 06:02 PM CDT
>Lances are slow and ugly... Naginitas are quick and graceful. What matters the most is killing things with style and looking good doing it.

So everyone should go to thrown weapons?

::Hums::

Seablade and Seablaede
The Ashrim

Cause it definitly aint mechanics that causes people to go with them...
Re: Naginata Vs. Lance 07/18/2006 06:04 PM CDT
>So everyone should go to thrown weapons?

So long as you only throw daggers, chakrams, and hatchets.

Re: Naginata Vs. Lance 07/18/2006 06:06 PM CDT
>So long as you only throw daggers, chakrams, and hatchets.

I think from that list I might replace Chakrams with Hammer for style...

Or you could just pull a Wulfhen and hurl really oversized things, that definitly has its own style points...

Unfortunatly my rogue does the spears(<--Effort to keep things on topic;) for hurling, but he has a rather nice supply of stilletos for style;)

Seablade and Seablaede
The Ashrim
Re: Naginata Vs. Lance 07/18/2006 06:12 PM CDT
For style, nothing beats a dagger. For full on theatrical effect, nothing beats a feras dagger.

Re: Naginata Vs. Lance 07/18/2006 07:05 PM CDT
I doubt that anyone has done a comparison between the two since they changed naginatas.

I can't for the life of me remember who did the original weapon comparisons for GSIII but I'm pretty sure the lance beat the naginata/halberd easily due to its ridiculous AvD and DF across the board.

If you are going purely for damage and can swing the lance in 6 seconds I'm pretty damn sure that it will beat a new style naginata of the same base enchant.

Might as well jump on the soapbox for a minute.

I am in the extreme and obvious minority in this but personally I think they should either remove the lance from the game, shift it somewhat, or drop the awl-pike base RT to 8.

I still think the original idea of the lance as we have it in GS was for one used on horseback ... which is why it is mechanically set to do so much damage.

One of the great things about using polearms in GS is that we have a weapon for each and every armor type that can do good damage. The awl-pike gets completely ignored by most people as a choice simply because the lance beats it in almost every aspect and has the same RT, which means you don't have to switch weapons with different critters.

Yeah, I know this will never happen but its how I feel anyway. :: shrug ::

There shouldn't be a single weapon that is the best in every combat situation as far as I'm concerned. The only things that occasionally prevent people from using a lance (other than RP and preference) are the physical weight of most lances, the base RT of 9, and the fact that its primary attack is a puncture. All of these issues can be bypassed in one way or another.

Alright, I'm done venting this time around. Feel free to ignore me again. ;)

Icewhite

Have fun, be true to yourself, tell the rest to go to hell.
Lance speed? 08/02/2006 11:22 PM CDT
Is it possible for a lance to attack in 1 second?
Re: Lance speed? 08/03/2006 08:04 AM CDT
>Is it possible for a lance to attack in 1 second?.

It's probably possible with either Haste or Song of Tonis with proper lore training. Without the help of either of those spells, I don't think it's possible to get it under 5 seconds.

Zephore O'Dane - Dunespire@aol.com

Carabele's Lore Benefits Summation Chart at...
http://carabele.com/odds/LoreBenefits.htm

Krakiipedia at...
http://www.krakiipedia.org

Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository at...
http://www.nilandia.com
Re: Lance speed? 08/03/2006 11:38 AM CDT
Racial stats can get you down to 5, and Song of Tonis can get you down -3 more to a total of 2... Not sure about Haste.

"I am a Wiki."
"That anything like a wookie?"
Re: Lance speed? 08/03/2006 12:39 PM CDT
Haste could do it, with enough lore and/or MjE ranks.

Seablade and Seablaede
The Ashrim
Re: Lance speed? 08/04/2006 10:17 PM CDT
Ok I can't find my notes; what agi/dex bonus do I need to swing a lance in 5 seconds?
Re: Lance speed? 08/04/2006 10:34 PM CDT
>Ok I can't find my notes; what agi/dex bonus do I need to swing a lance in 5 seconds?

Believe that magic number is 53....8 (-1), 23 (-2), 38 (-3), 53 (-4).

-Gordd, 45

This message brought to you by recycled electrons.
Re: Lance speed? 08/05/2006 07:00 AM CDT
>Ok I can't find my notes; what agi/dex bonus do I need to swing a lance in 5 seconds?

Reduction Bonuses Sum To
1 second sum of 8
2 seconds sum of 23
3 seconds sum of 38
4 seconds sum of 53
5 seconds sum of 68

Race DEXterity AGIlity Max Sum
Halfling 25+15 25+10 75
Burghal Gnome 25+10 25+10 70
Elf 25+5 25+15 70
Aelotoi 25+5 25+10 65
Dark Elf 25+10 25+5 65
Forest Gnome 25+5 25+10 65
Half-Elf 25+5 25+10 65
Sylvankind 25+10 25+5 65
Half-Krolvin 25+0 25+5 55
Erithian 25+0 25+0 50
Human 25+0 25+0 50
Dwarf 25+0 25-5 45
Giantman 25-5 25-5 40

Zephore O'Dane - Dunespire@aol.com

Carabele's Lore Benefits Summation Chart at...
http://carabele.com/odds/LoreBenefits.htm

Krakiipedia at...
http://www.krakiipedia.org

Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository at...
http://www.nilandia.com
Lance and RT 07/25/2008 06:00 AM CDT
My Paladin has just picked up a nice lance (she's training in polearms) but her RT is 8. Is that normal with a lance? She's within her 30 day grace period, so I could do some minor tweaking with her stats if necessary if that would decrease her RT. She's a human, currently 5 trainings.

Stats: Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 87 (23) ... 87 (23)
Constitution (CON): 72 (11) ... 72 (11)
Dexterity (DEX): 71 (10) ... 71 (10)
Agility (AGL): 81 (15) ... 81 (15)
Discipline (DIS): 67 (8) ... 67 (8)
Aura (AUR): 51 (0) ... 51 (0)
Logic (LOG): 70 (15) ... 70 (15)
Intuition (INT): 42 (1) ... 42 (1)
Wisdom (WIS): 91 (20) ... 91 (20)
Influence (INF): 42 (-4) ... 42 (-4)

Any suggestions, or is an 8 sec rt just something she's gonna have to live with?
Re: Lance and RT 07/25/2008 07:53 AM CDT
Two-Handed weapons and Polearms swing RT's can be reduced by the combined bonus of your AGI and DEX stats. You will need to raise both of those stats in order to get a higher bonus to lower your RT.

The base speed of a lance is +9 seconds. According to my chart, you should be having a +7 second RT. Only thing I can think of is maybe your not trained properly for the armor you are wearing.

Anyways, here is the chart for your reference.

Reduction Bonuses Sum To
1 second sum of 8
2 seconds sum of 23
3 seconds sum of 38
4 seconds sum of 53
5 seconds sum of 68

Race DEXterity AGIlity Max Sum
Halfling 25+15 25+10 75
Burghal Gnome 25+10 25+10 70
Elf 25+5 25+15 70
Aelotoi 25+5 25+10 65
Dark Elf 25+10 25+5 65
Forest Gnome 25+5 25+10 65
Half-Elf 25+5 25+10 65
Sylvankind 25+10 25+5 65
Half-Krolvin 25+0 25+5 55
Erithian 25+0 25+0 50
Human 25+0 25+0 50
Dwarf 25+0 25-5 45
Giantman 25-5 25-5 40

So, your not going to get much faster with a Lance being a human, unless you find either a AGI or DEX enhancive item to get you to the 53 bonus threshold. You may want to switch to one of the faster Polearm weapons to get your RT down. Yes lances hit hard, but so do the other Polearm weapons.

~Z
Re: Lance and RT 07/25/2008 10:24 AM CDT
The bottom 4 races on the list are all incabable of using a lance in 5 seconds without some sort of enhancement.

The extra 1 second RT on you is another question. Undertrained for armor is a possibility, as is being encumbered (check that). If neither of those is the case, try an assist.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Lance and RT 07/25/2008 11:19 AM CDT
>The extra 1 second RT on you is another question. Undertrained for armor is a possibility, as is being encumbered (check that). If neither of those is the case, try an assist.

Also, you could be wearing armor accessories that are increasing your armor class higher than what you are trained for.

For example you could be wearing a set of Metal Breastplate, and you have the required 80 armor ranks to wear it, but when you put a set of arm greaves on it makes the MBP into a set of Augmented Plate, and now you no longer have the correct amount of armor ranks needed so that would cause your RT to increase.

(Was that the longest sentence ever created or what? Sorry.)

An easy way to find out is to type INVENTORY ARMOR, which will list all the items in your inventory that are considered pieces of armor.

~Z
Re: Lance and RT 07/25/2008 01:50 PM CDT
Or you're AIMing at something and using ambush.

You got there too soon!
I cannot set up my things!
Go hide somewhere else!
By Liia.
Re: Lance and RT 07/25/2008 03:59 PM CDT
>>Or you're AIMing at something and using ambush.<<

Probably not that. The poster is only losing 1 second, and aiming that lance should raise the RT by 2.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Lance and RT 07/25/2008 04:02 PM CDT
looks like aiming adds 3 actually.

>> at
You thrust with a skull grafted vultite lance at a rolton!
AS: +149 vs DS: +48 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +3 = +139
... and hit for 38 points of damage!
Left elbow smashed into a thousand pieces.
The rolton collapses to the ground, emits a final bleat, and dies.
Roundtime: 6 sec.
R>
* Dykolori joins the adventure.
R>
* Maryitta joins the adventure.
> amb kob head
You thrust with a skull grafted vultite lance at a kobold!
AS: +149 vs DS: +52 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +12 = +147
... and hit for 45 points of damage!
Well placed strike shatters a rib!
The kobold crumples to a heap on the ground and dies.
Roundtime: 9 sec.<<

Re: Lance and RT 07/25/2008 04:57 PM CDT
Thanks everyone. I checked, and I'm not encumbered at all. I'm wearing the armor I was born with, reinforced boarhide leathers. I also wasn't ambushing or aiming the lance. Here's my skills - level 5

Skills:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 66 14
Combat Maneuvers...................| 30 6
Polearm Weapons....................| 54 11
Ambush.............................| 15 3
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 25 5
Physical Fitness...................| 40 8
Dodging............................| 30 6
Harness Power......................| 20 4
Spirit Mana Control................| 15 3
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 5 1
Perception.........................| 15 3
Climbing...........................| 20 4
Swimming...........................| 10 2
First Aid..........................| 20 4

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 1

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 4

Any suggestions there would be appreciated as well. It could just be an odd lance?
Re: Lance and RT 07/28/2008 08:32 AM CDT
What does your armor INSPECT as? It should tell you the class and also what areas it covers.

~Z
Re: Lance speed? 02/17/2009 08:32 PM CST
I'm confused. I thought that with Dex/Agi combined bonus of 34 I should get -2 off my RT for my Lance but I'm swinging at 8 instead of 7. The spreadsheet trainer shows it should be at 7 as well. I'm not encumbered. I don't have negative strength. Any idea what it could be? I'm using a superior mithril lance i picked up form a player shop. 94 str 53 dex 67 agi halfling.
Re: Lance speed? 02/17/2009 08:37 PM CST
Properly trained for your armor?

(OOC) You quietly whisper to Paramour, "I dislike you. I now have, "That's What You Get!" by Paramore playing in my head. Because of your name."
(OOC) Paramour's player whispers, "PAIN MAKE YOUR WAY TO ME, AND I'LL ALWAYS BE SO INVITING."
Re: Lance speed? 02/18/2009 10:32 AM CST
>Properly trained for your armor?

Thats the only other thing I can think of.

Type INVENTORY ARMOR to see all the items that you wear that are concidered armor peices. One of the more common player mistakes is wearing for example a metal breastplate (torso coverage only) and a helm. The current armor system will treat you as wearing full plate since that is the base armor required in order to have head coverage in plate class armor. Big difference between 80 Ranks of Armor training for the MBP compared to 140 Ranks for the Full plate. Kinda sucks, but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

~Z~

"Life is a tale told by an idiot -- full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." -- Shakespeare
The Lance 09/18/2010 07:13 AM CDT
Wow! I didn't reach back to previous forums concerning discussions about using the Lance, however I will do so when I have the time.

I've been playing this game for "many" years and just recently decided to try something new and out of the ordinary for me. Built a Pali and decided to try polearms, specifically the lance for one reason. I recalled back about 18 months ago now (time flies) when I was in some minor trouble on the Glacier. This gal rolled on in and assisted my dilemma....with a lance. This was the first time I'd seen a lance being used at all. She used it with a practiced skill and deftness that completely surprised me. That was my inspiration.

My pali is almost at 17 trainings...however even when he was at his 10th, it was simply unbelievable the devastation this weapon inflicts. Yea there is a longer round time, however I'll defeat that eventually. I'm still working and trying to figure things out about this weapon. With that stated however, I'm completely sold on this poker. I'm really looking forward to using it in the future.

I currently wield an elegant golvern lance, striking foes with a 259 AS while maintaining around a 210 DS at full offence (depending upon the spells I'm wearing), lvl 16 pali. My RT is at 8 seconds, 5 with haste. I'm thinking that agility and or Dexterity will mitigate the RT over time?

Experienced thoughts on this please. Thanks much in advance.

~ Aeornis
Re: The Lance 09/18/2010 09:01 AM CDT
Agility + Dexterity Roundtime reduction
8 - 22 1
23 - 37 2
38 - 52 3
53 - 67 4
68 - 82 5
83 - 96 6
98 - 112 7
113+ 8

Add the bonus from your Agility and Dexterity to determine the RT reduction you gain for swinging a weapon. If the base swing time for a lance is (I think...) 9 seconds, then you'd need a combined AGI+DEX of 53-67 to obtain a 5 second swing.

I hope that helps.

-Drumpel
Re: The Lance 09/18/2010 09:23 PM CDT
Certainly does, thanks very much for the information.
Why Do Lances NOT Get Natural Crit-Weighting? 02/02/2011 12:25 PM CST
Doesn't the website describe claidhmores as having their natural weighting due to their immense SIZE? Is there anything bigger than a lance? So, by definition as being the biggest and hardest hitter in the game, it should definitely have natural weighting! Maximized!
Re: Why Do Lances NOT Get Natural Crit-Weighting? 02/02/2011 12:37 PM CST
Which weighs more? Here, unsure, but suspect it may be the lance -- even if it is made out of wood and really is just a beefed up quarter-staff (tapered, wider at the butt) with a tip. This alone might not be relevant, though.

Which applies damage over the broadest area? I'm thinking it's the claid.

Which has the most beneficial crit tables? I'm thinking it's the lance.

It is an interesting question. . . even before you consider damage factor. :)

Doug
Re: Why Do Lances NOT Get Natural Crit-Weighting? 02/02/2011 12:57 PM CST
Lances are the best weapon in the game IMO. They don't need anything else.
Re: Why Do Lances NOT Get Natural Crit-Weighting? 02/02/2011 01:16 PM CST
As much as I'd like lances made even better, going to have to fall into the side that says they are pretty well done as is. If anything, I think one of the middle speed poles should get some sort of a boost. The 7 second polearms are universally useless when compared to two-handed weapons. The hammer of kai is ripe for natural weighting or armor penetration or something due to the large swinging arc and small point of impact. Certainly a better candidate than the lance anyway.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Prev_page Previous 1