Rest in Peace, Dragonlady 11/22/2011 07:04 PM CST
Last night, Anne McCaffrey passed. I'm sure she needs no introduction here.

She is fondly remembered, and immortalized by her books.
Re: Rest in Peace, Dragonlady 11/22/2011 08:53 PM CST
Another Bard gone to tell her stories to another plane.

Because of her books, my daughter learned to love dragons. She eagerly learned to read at a higher level when young. Because of her, my life has been richer, too. The Dragons, and their Riders got me through my husband's first cruises in the Navy. The Ship that Sang got me through my father's lung cancer. My early ideas of Barding, here in GS, were based on her Harpers.

She will definitely be missed.

Becky

True love is neither physical, nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of
all that is, has been, will be, and will not be....

"Life's not about surviving the storm, but about learning to dance in the rain."
Re: Rest in Peace, Dragonlady 11/23/2011 08:40 AM CST
DragonSong was one of the first books I read in 3rd grade, after the family moved county-to-county in MD. (I was the shy dorky kid. Like that's a surprise to anyone.) To this day, I maintain that DragonSinger is one of the absolute best books for young kids. (DragonDrums is "okay", but it's not stellar. Good-ish closing to the Harper Hall trilogy, though.)

I remember waiting with bated breath for The White Dragon to come out, damn nearly crying when Robinton died. I think my brother lined up a reserved copy at the library for me, so I could read it soonest. (I only buy paperbacks, but of course the hardcover hits a lot sooner.)

Get Off the Unicorn, To Ride Pegasus (and the rest of the Pegasus books), never really got into the Raven books even though I really liked the initial short story in 'Get'. Good stuff.